ANMAY03/04 Aponogeton crispus Thunb.

Anurag Sharma

May 2, 2015, 6:51:52 AM5/2/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Family: Aponogetonaceae
Date: 29th April 2015
Place: Tumkur-Hassan district, Karnataka
Habit: Herb
Habitat: Aquatic/Pond
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 2, 2015, 10:38:07 AM5/2/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
I have seen it in West Bengal under cultivation as an ornamental.
Regards,
TC.

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2015, 7:04:41 AM5/4/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 4, 2015, 12:46:02 PM5/4/15
to J.M. Garg, Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Thank you, Gargji.
Regards,
TC.

Anurag Sharma

May 6, 2015, 3:02:13 PM5/6/15
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
How are the two species differentiated?

The fruits of the plant I found led me to Aponogeton echinatus whose current name is Aponogeton crispus. Please take a look at the last photo with the fruits, sir.
Also, Flora of Hassan district reports one species- Aponogeton echinatus.
--
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2015, 8:29:39 AM5/11/15
to Anurag Sharma, Tapas Chakrabarty, indiantreepix
Hi, Anurag ji,
See the leaves in the links provided by me, you will know the difference.
I don't know about the seeds.

surajitkoley

May 21, 2015, 3:51:47 AM5/21/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, anurag...@gmail.com
Perhaps Roxburgh would know (his) species better than any other sources. Attached here entries from FBI, FI, BP, BoBO.
Two kew heb -
BoBO1.jpg
BoBO2.jpg
BP.jpg
FBI.jpg
FI1.jpg
FI2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 21, 2015, 5:41:14 AM5/21/15
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
While doing ecology practicals nearly 48 years back in Kashmir, and luckily I still remember, we had a few clear cut species of Potamogeton: P. pectinatus with finely dissected leaves, P. lucens with semitransparent leaves, P. natans with thick flat shining floating leaves and P. crispus with wavy (crisped) leaves. We did not know about Aponogeton as it is a basically an ornamental plant of warmer climates, mostly used in aquarium. Yet it has two similar species (which differ besides technical characters, by the absence of above mud stems clearly seen in Potamogeton). with similar names Aponogeton natans (with broad flat leaves) and A. crispus Thunb (syn: A. echinatus Roxb.). To me both Potamogeton crispus and Aponogeton crispus are out of contension. Whereas presence or absence of above mud stems is important for diagnosis, but the colour of inflorescence easily places it as Aponogeton natans. I hope I am not wrong.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Ushadi Micromini

May 21, 2015, 9:22:27 AM5/21/15
to Gurcharan Singh, surajitkoley, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Great and appropriate long term memory

another advantage of joining this group Gurcharnji
no sleep for you !!!
and memory boost !!!

I love it when you teach us thru a story like lesson
thanks
Usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

May 21, 2015, 9:24:22 AM5/21/15
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Thanks Sir for taking care. Anurag Ji's point is that fruits here are echinate, so it should be A. echinatum Roxb. Now, if the current accepted name of A. echinatum Roxb. is A. natans then it is the same.

The problem is old lit consider all three different taxa.

Another problem is nowhere I could find that A. natans can have echinate fruit/capsule.

Gurcharan Singh

May 21, 2015, 11:38:02 PM5/21/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Surajit ji
Current accpted name of A. echinatum Roxb. is A. crispus and not A. natans. Please note that Engler's revision puts it under unconfirmed/dubius species. Even FBI mentions mix up in Roxburgh's plates.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

May 22, 2015, 10:16:06 AM5/22/15
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
So where do we stand Sir?

Roxburgh's A. echinatus(m) is dubius/uncofirmed, meaning Roxburgh may not be correct at all! Thereby Wight and Prain are also wrong!

TPL thinks A. echinatus Roxb. is synonymous with, that too with three stars, with A. crispus Thunb.

You, based on inflorescence colour and Garg Sir, based on leaf, think the species submitted by Anurag Ji is A. natans (L.) Engl. & K. Krause.

So be it..... thank you very much.

Regards

surajit

surajit koley

May 22, 2015, 10:38:08 AM5/22/15
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Dear Anurag Ji,

I can clearly see the fruits of this species, those fruits can't be called smooth and Roxburgh was correct. I said Roxburgh would know his species better than any other source.

I copy here a few words from "Revision of the Genus Aponogeton / H. W. E. VAN BRUGGEN" :-
  • ovules 4-8; tepals white, pink, or violet ... fruit with very long (1mm) terminal beak = natans
  • ovules 2 (seldom1); ................... fruit smooth = crispus
  • do ...............................     fruit mostly with irregular excrescences, seldom smooth.... = echinatus
The differences between the 2nd and 3rd above lie in tuber, leaf, inflorescence, tepal, filament, fruit and plumule.

So, you can boldly go ahead with the ID A. echinatus Roxb. with your species, no matter eFI admit or not.

Thank you
Regards

surajit koley

Gurcharan Singh

May 22, 2015, 11:36:11 AM5/22/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Perhaps this should help in reaching conclusion keeping in mind conclusions by me and Garg ji.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

May 22, 2015, 12:04:42 PM5/22/15
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Unfortunately the page is not visible now, Sir, not only that page I have also seen the edit page (of the link you have provided) at http://plants.jstor.org/stable/history/10.5555/al.ap.specimen.k000950202

Both the pages carried names of authors updated the related herbarium, and the top most author was Bruggen.

Thank you

Regards

surajit koley

May 22, 2015, 12:07:46 PM5/22/15
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Here it is again Sir

thank you

Regards
]