Sh. Chris Chadwell- 1st Runner up Star Expert of 2016

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2017, 7:46:24 AM1/12/17
to efloraofindia
Dear members,
Sh. Chris Chadwell is the 1st Runner up Star Expert of 2016, with 621 messages- which includes mainly with assistance in Ids along with validation & some beautiful uploads from Kashmir (including Ladakh) & Himachal Pradesh. This he has achieved within a short span of four months from Sept.'16 to Dec.'16.
He has shown us a new way to work with- take up a genus, go through all the posts, validate them or point out the mistakes so that our database is more accurate. This is a very systematic approach to point out the inaccuracies & correct them.
He has great knowledge as far as Flora of North Western Himalayas is concerned, particularly of high altitudes. His Flora photography is also wonderful.
Kudos to Chadwell ji for his great contributions.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Dinesh Valke

Jan 12, 2017, 10:39:15 AM1/12/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Hearty congrats Chadwell ji; salutes to your meticulous combing of posts; and thanks for resolving, validating the IDs.
Regards.
Dinesh

Prashant Awale

Jan 12, 2017, 11:53:08 PM1/12/17
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Hearty congratulations  Chadwell ji. I wish thank you personally for resolving many of the IDs.... I have learnt a lot from your posts..

Salute to your dedication..

Thanks again..

Regards
Prashant

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:32:39 PM1/13/17
to efloraofindia

May I thank you all for your compliments - much appreciated.  As is my way, my apologies for yet another lengthy response!

I have a great deal of affection for your country being very much a friend of India's.  I was inspired by the late Prem Nath Kohli who established P.Kohli & Co. in Kashmir back in 1928 - he was always more of a research scholar than a businessmen; the hospitality shown by Mrs Urvashi Suri, one of Kohli's daughters, who took over as Proprietor, (and her family members), was crucial to me continuing to visit the Himalaya beyond the early 1980s, enabling me to build-up first-hand knowledge of the region's flora.

I am sure all members wish this data-base and the google-group not just to be one of the largest in the world but the BEST – being of International, indeed 'world' class, quality-wise.  Yes, the aim should be to cover more completely, all genera and species found in India. However, it is not just about quantity, most importantly, an objective should be to enhance and enrich contributions. We all benefit from collaboration both within the Indian sub-continent and Internationally.  Being able to embrace a wide range of inputs is a strength as is the capacity to accept constructive criticism - a necessity if Science is to progress.

Mr Garg deserves a great deal of credit for "keeping me on board".  He has shown wisdom seeking to do what is in the long-term interests of eFI and the study of Indian flora.

Quality digital photography has the potential to transform the study of flora world-wide but will take time for this to be recognised and fully implemented.  eFI has the opportunity to set an example for the world's botanical community to follow.

Much is talked about 'plant conservation' with numerous reports having been written all over the world.  I stress that accurate & reliable identification of plants, whether in the Himalaya, elsewhere in India or other countries is ESSENTIAL, if the world's flora is to be genuinely conserved. Yes, there is urgency but the data/findings need to of the highest-standards.  From this follows the necessity for extensive field surveys to be undertaken.   Digital photography CAN play a major role here, with visiting foreigners and amateur botanists interest in plants to be "taken advantage of".

ALL members of this google-group who can get out-and-about to photograph wild plants in India (plus bordering countries) subsequently posting quality images are in a position to contribute to increasing coverage, family, genus and species-wise and should continue to be actively encouraged to do so.

Professor Norm Deno, a retired Professor of Chemistry at State College, Pennysylvania, USA, stated (after undertaking extensive experiments into seed germination) "TO SOW A SEED, IS A NOBLE DEED'.

ALL those who helped found and develop eFI to-date have helped "SOW A SEED" in terms of improved understanding of Indian flora.  Let us hope we can all work together to ensure this SEEDLING* reaches both the FLOWERING and FRUITING stages during the years to come - * or given that things began as 'Indiantreepix', perhaps it would be more fitting to speak of eFI being at the SAPLING stage of an 'OAK' having grown from an 'ACORN' - and naturally, given my speciality, it would have to be a 'Himalayan' Oak!

J.M. Garg

Jan 13, 2017, 10:47:27 PM1/13/17
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia
Thanks, Chadwell ji, for your inspirational words.

Dinesh Valke

Jan 13, 2017, 11:40:02 PM1/13/17
to J.M. Garg, chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia
Very nice words, Chadwell ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, Chadwell ji, for your inspirational words.

Nidhan Singh

Jan 14, 2017, 4:04:56 AM1/14/17
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Chadwell Ji for your encouraging words, your association with all of us will surely enrich the level of discussions and will go a long way to building a flawless database.
Congrats for being on top of the list too!!

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Narendra Joshi

Jan 14, 2017, 5:57:42 AM1/14/17
to J.M. Garg, chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia
Congratulations Dr. Chris, thank you for your support to all of us and your encouraging words!

With regards,

Narendra Joshi

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, Chadwell ji, for your inspirational words.

--
With Regards,
Narendra Joshi

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jan 14, 2017, 10:29:22 AM1/14/17
to efloraofindia
Congratulations Dr. Chris.
I am unfortunate that we couldn't finalise our meeting while I was in UK. I infact did go to The Botanist with Shan and spent some time together, hoping we might find you there by luck.
But may be this will give me a reason to come to UK again.
Thanks a lot for your contribution and fruitful discussions. I do always admire your knowledge.
Thanks and regards
Pankaj

C CHADWELL

Jan 16, 2017, 11:06:05 AM1/16/17
to Nidhan Singh, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks for your comments.

I don't think anyone ever achieves an entirely "faultless" data-base (there are mistakes on the Kew & Edinburgh
herbarium sites) as we are all fallible (including me) and there is a never-ending need to keep up-to-date. So
many genera are in need of revision in the Himalaya.

There are even a few errors in the much-respected 'Flowers of the Himalaya' - which having been published
more than 30 years ago, is now out-of-date for many of the entries.

As Dr R Stewart, whose excellent 'Annotated Catalogue of the Vascular Plants of Pakistan & Kashmir'
I regularly refer to, correctly stated, as soon as any check-list, catalogue or flora was printed, it was
"out-of-date".   One of the many advantages of on-line sites is that they can be readily up-dated (and,
if required) corrected - though all this requires in-put, taking time and effort.  Dedication and hard-work
are required to try to keep "on-top-of-things".

We all should strive for high standards such that those involved can be PROUD of what they are involved in
and that the content can bear scrutiny at an International level.

We ALL need to collaborate both WITHIN our countries and INTERNATIONALLY, taking advantage of the
knowledge and expertise of those willing to help.

Best Wishes,

Chris Chadwell

81 Parlaunt Road
SLOUGH
SL3 8BE
UK

Jan 20, 2017, 7:26:17 PM1/20/17
to Narendra Joshi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I appreciate your words.

Best Wishes,

Chris Chadwell

81 Parlaunt Road