Submission of Dendrophthoe cuneata

Lalithamba Avadhanam

Aug 30, 2016, 12:49:44 AM8/30/16
to efloraofindia

Plant name: Dendrophthoe cuneata (B.Heyne) G.Don, Gen. Hist. 3: 420. 1834.

Ver.name: Bhajana (Tel.).

Family: Loranthaceae

Shrubs, parasitic on other trees, stem swollen at nodes, 0.5-1m tall. Leaves opposite; sessile; lamina 5-7 × 0.7-1.5cm, narrow, falcate, nerves obscure, coriaceous. Flowers 2-3cm long, tubular, yellow, in few flowered terminal cymes. Calyx cup shaped. Corolla tube 3-3.5cm long, yellow, lobes scarlet-red. Stamens 5, shortly exerted. Stigma capitate, red. Berry 0.5-0.8cm long, ovoid, orange colored.

Habitat & location: Common in dry deciduous forests on variety of trees. Photographed at Rapur ghat.

Thank you

Regards

A.Lalithamba

Dendrophthe cuneata.JPG
IMG_8695Dendrophthe cuneata.jpg
IMG_8701 Dendrophthe cuneata.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 30, 2016, 3:38:44 AM8/30/16
to Lalithamba Avadhanam, efloraofindia

Thanks a lot, Lalithamba ji

J.M. Garg

Sep 4, 2016, 2:53:45 AM9/4/16
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Dendrophthe cuneata.JPG
IMG_8695Dendrophthe cuneata.jpg
IMG_8701 Dendrophthe cuneata.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 4, 2016, 4:00:14 AM9/4/16
to efloraofindia
Sep 9, 2016, 2:25:10 AM9/9/16
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam

Some earlier relevant feedback:

In view it may be some other species. - from me

It is not Dendrophthoe cuneata
Thank you
Regards
A.Lalithamba

Nov 5, 2017, 9:50:01 AM11/5/17
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
It appears to be Dendrophthoe glabrescens as per
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dendrophthe cuneata.JPG
IMG_8695Dendrophthe cuneata.jpg
IMG_8701 Dendrophthe cuneata.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 5, 2017, 10:37:52 AM11/5/17
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Thanks, Lalithamba ji.

May 11, 2020, 4:29:59 AM5/11/20
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Dendrophthoe glabrescens (Blakeley) Barlow is reported from Australia (N-Western Australia, Northern Territory, Queensland, Torres Strait Isl., NE-New South Wales), Lesser Sunda Isl. (Timor, Lombok, Alor), New Guinea as per Catalogue of Life
I may be Dendrophthoe falcata (L.f.) Ettingsh. as leaves are quite variable as per GBIF.
Pl. see the specimens at
May 11, 2020, 5:46:41 AM5/11/20
to efloraindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
GBIF showing distribution of Dendrophthoe glabrescens (Blakeley) Barlow in
South India !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2020, 6:02:04 AM5/11/20
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2020, 6:06:04 AM5/11/20
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Saroj Kasaju
Yes, I found it.
Also the detailed paper at
So Lalithamba ji's plant is Dendrophthoe glabrescens (Blakeley) Barlow only.

Saroj Kasaju

May 11, 2020, 6:06:04 AM5/11/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 15.50.20.png

Saroj Kasaju

May 11, 2020, 6:07:32 AM5/11/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Yes!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2020, 6:57:09 AM5/11/20
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
In fact, there is another paper, to which also appears close:
A new species of genus Dendrophthoe Mart. (Lorantheae-Loranthaceae) from the Peninsular India : Lal Ji Singh, Vinay Ranjan, L. Rasingam, J. Swamy- Journal of Asia-Pacific Biodiversity (2020):
Abstract: Dendrophthoe gamblei (Loranthaceae), a new species from the Peninsular India is described and illustrated along with conservation status. Apparently new species is similar to Dendrophthoe memecylifolia (Wight and Arn.) Danser, but strictly differs in respect to its morphology of vegetative and floral characters. A taxonomic key to the species of Dendrophthoe Mart. from India is also provided.

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2020, 7:04:11 AM5/11/20
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
In fact earlier link sent also belonged to Dendrophthoe gamblei only as per
So Laithamba ji's plant should be Dendrophthoe gamblei only.

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2020, 7:09:03 AM5/16/20
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Hi, Lalithamba ji,
What is your view ?

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2020, 9:03:22 AM5/16/20
to Lalithamba Avadhanam, efloraofindia
Thanks, Lalithamba ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Sat 16 May, 2020, 6:32 PM Lalithamba Avadhanam, <alali...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Garg ji for your efforts in finding correct id. yes it is, I have also collected from Nellore Kadapa borders in E.Ghats
thank you for providing the latest publication, I am happy for we too  had a new species in our eflora data
Thank you once again

--
A.Lalithamba