Hygrophila auriculata (Schumach.) from Hooghly

surajit koley

Apr 10, 2012, 2:28:05 PM4/10/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Attaching this medicinal plant that we call KULEKHANRA / KULEKAANTAA in Bengali.

Species : Hygrophila auriculata (Schumach.)
Habit & Habitat : wild herb, also in home-yard
Date : 17/03/2012 & 21/03/2012
Place : Hooghly (WB)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

ushadi Micromini

Apr 11, 2012, 12:08:40 AM4/11/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Surajit: khub bhalo hoyechhe...
kulekhara does wonders for anemia in all ages and both men and women...
thanks for showing the thorns with the flowers...
usha di
=======
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Apr 11, 2012, 11:26:36 AM4/11/12
to ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Usha Didi,

Amar ananda hochchhe je chobigulo apnar bhalo legechhe. Aro koyekta chhilo, kintu amar anguler chobi-o uthe gyachhe :)

Now villagers know that it is useful in treating anemia and some of them grow it in their backyard also.

Pranam,

Surajit

ushadi Micromini

Apr 11, 2012, 12:16:30 PM4/11/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Surajit... Ramkrishna Mission outreach program , and a few NGOs worked very hard for last 10 years or so to get the information out ... many Vidyas did voluntary work at grass roots level and the radio and TV DD Bangla did its part... Very happy to see it giving results...  Many Allopathic MDs are also "prescribing/suggesting " many of these household readily available saags for various home food daily habits...

Tomar enthu amar bhalo laage
Usha di
===
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Satish Phadke

Apr 15, 2012, 12:26:01 AM4/15/12
to surajit koley, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Which part of the plant is used in treating anemia?
Interesting New to me.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2012, 12:30:41 AM4/15/12
to Satish Phadke, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

According to literatures available to me the leaves and the root are used to treat anemia & jaundice. Maybe Pankaj Sir oe Ushadi Madam tell us more.

Regards,

Surajit

ushadi Micromini

Apr 15, 2012, 2:06:02 PM4/15/12
to surajit koley, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satish : we buy them as bhaji in bundles in Bengal... the specialty bhaji vendors bring them in... usually 8 inches at least , wash, pick, cut off ends chop roughly  wash profusely before and after chopping, being careful of the thorns,   put in a large pan, cover with drinking water, slowly bring to a boil and cook for 20 mins atleast... or steam in a pressure cooke,  process in a mixer and get the pulp.. treat it as if its a soup...salt, other spices make it palatable...  if you use this method u can use thorns and all ...
otherwise... see below:

ALTERNATLEY... pick the leaves and tender shoots, steam for 20 minutes, mash with fingers add salt, onions mustard oil and mix with one or two gulps worth of cooked rice and eat...

third alternative is to juice and drink... but I am not an advocate of it... here.. grows in muddy slopes ... too many infectious  variables...  including Bovine E coli 0157 and Shiga toxins... and hemolytic uremic syndrome...  so

just cook ....  best way
Hope this helped..
Usha di
--