Zanthoxylum armatum ABMAR01/01

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 1, 2016, 8:40:58 AM3/1/16
to efloraofindia
Last Wednesday I drove down to the lower town of Dharamshala with a friend to attend a local wedding feast. I stopped en route to photograph apricot and semal blossoms (which I will share here in due course) when my friend pointed me to a thorny shrub like tree. He said that it was called Tirmira in the local dialect and its fruit was used in chutneys and the wood in making pestles. Smaller twigs are also used as datun toothbrush (like that of neem and keekar). Later I found out that a species belonging to this genus gives the Szechuan Pepper. I am familiar with the Chinese spice but am yet to taste the local variety. I will update when I lay my hands on flower/fruit in season. It’s various culinary/medicinal uses are listed here;

http://www.stuartxchange.com/Chi-it.html

Zanthoxylum armatum—Winged Prickly-Ash, Toothache Tree, Tirmir, Tirmira
Dharamshala, HP, 1500m approximately

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Ashwini

Winged compound leaves;

Empty dry pods;

J.M. Garg

Mar 1, 2016, 9:57:57 AM3/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia

Wonderful, photographs and details.

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 1, 2016, 9:05:00 PM3/1/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Mr Garg.

Regards,
Ashwini

On 1 Mar 2016 19:10, "Ashwini Bhatia" <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
[...]

<_MG_0970_25Feb2016.jpg>
<_MG_0997_25Feb2016.jpg>

Winged compound leaves;
<_MG_0971_25Feb2016.jpg>
<_MG_0993_25Feb2016.jpg>

Empty dry pods;
<_MG_0974_25Feb2016.jpg>

Nidhan Singh

Mar 2, 2016, 2:34:08 AM3/2/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Nice pictures Ashwini Ji,
I hope you will get the flowers in April-May..!!
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 2, 2016, 9:54:18 PM3/2/16
to Nidhan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Nidhan Singh ji. I will be looking out for them.

Regards,
Ashwini

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 21, 2016, 6:05:35 AM3/21/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
wonderful write up

do they have any special ethnic use for the thorns?

(bengalis use the seemul trtee (Bombax ceiba)  thorns in wound healing )

usha di

Usha di
===========

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 22, 2016, 11:03:54 PM3/22/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
they make chandan like paste and put on wounds

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 22, 2016, 11:47:57 PM3/22/16
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Ushadi.

Paresh Churi

Apr 1, 2016, 6:45:03 AM4/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Excellent write-up & equally well supported with images! This is a host plant of Papilio polytes , common mormon butterfly !
May I format these images for IFB ? eager to see images of flowers.
Thanks,
Paresh

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 7, 2016, 11:49:15 AM4/7/16
to Paresh Churi, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
what is IFB?

--
Usha di
===========

Paresh Churi

Apr 8, 2016, 12:31:49 AM4/8/16
to Ushadi Micromini, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Paresh Churi.

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 11, 2016, 7:23:06 PM4/11/16
to Paresh Churi, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Thanks Paresh
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Rakesh Sharma

Oct 19, 2017, 4:46:59 AM10/19/17
to efloraofindia
Dear Ashwini,

Nice informative post. This plant grows in wild along nallahs. It is a very useful plant as its seeds and bark are used in Ayurvedic medicines.
I remember that its stem (freshly cut) is used for making chutnys in regions of Jammu (towards Poonch) as the juices add fragrance and tinge. And its seeds are also added in chutneys to give it a tinge. Seeds are available in local markets. Its datun is used to control vaat (Baay). In this region it is called "Timmber".

Regards

Col Rakesh Sharma, Sena Medal

J.M. Garg

Oct 20, 2017, 9:27:58 AM10/20/17
to Rakesh Sharma, efloraofindia
Thanks, Rakesh ji,  for the valuable inf.