Dendrophthoe falcata from Canopy of KMTR_GK_21-04-2012

Giby Kuriakose

Apr 21, 2012, 10:37:52 AM4/21/12
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Please find attached herewith the different form of Dendrophthoe falcata from the canopy of evergreen forests of KMTR, Tamil Nadu. This species prefer to grow only on top of the canopy of Palaquim ellipticum and Ormosia travancorica.  The height varies from 8-23m and we had to climb the host trees to do pollination experiments and visitation observation.
It was a very unique and nice experience to climb on top of the canopy through single rope and stay there day long!

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 21, 2012, 11:09:15 AM4/21/12
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Thanks Giby ji.

Forwarding three video links showing that how our Traditional Healers collect it from Mahua.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Neil Soares

Apr 21, 2012, 1:22:56 PM4/21/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Hi,
 Some of my photographs of Dendrophthoe falcata. Please also check my previous mails on this.
                 With regards,
                   Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 4/21/12, Pankaj Oudhia <pankaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dendrophthoe falcata flowering 1.jpg
Dendrophthoe falcata flowering 2.jpg
Female Vigor's Sunbird on Dendrophthoe falcata.jpg
Dendrophthoe falcata fruiting 1.jpg
Dendrophthoe falcata fruiting 2.jpg
Dendrophthoe falcata fruiting 3.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 21, 2012, 2:03:33 PM4/21/12
to Neil Soares, Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Thanks Neil ji. It seems that yours is D.falcata var. falcata and Giby ji's D.falcata var.coccinea.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Giby Kuriakose

Apr 22, 2012, 3:20:10 AM4/22/12
to Pankaj Oudhia, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj sir,

According to Gamble, the plant that I studied was D. amplexifolia as the leaves shows amplexicaul nature. Later it has been merged with D.falcata

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2760884

That is why I treated that as D. falcata only. Further, 'the plant list says that there is no variety listed as accepted name for D.falcata and whatever varieties were recorded earlier has become synonyms to D.falcata. I am not trying to say that the plant list (as of now) is a final word in this matter.
We have seen several forms of this species with difference in leaf shape and size and flower color.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 22, 2012, 3:39:18 AM4/22/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thanks for your reply. Visited the link mentioned by you. Please see their confidence level and Source WCSP (in review). Hence, it is not accepted so far.

I read about var. falcata and var. coccinea from this link

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Giby Kuriakose

Apr 22, 2012, 3:46:55 AM4/22/12
to Pankaj Oudhia, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I noted that and I think the red flowered Dendrophthoe might be the one that is seen in the picture in the given link. I haven't seen D. falcata with red with an yellow tip as we seen in my pictures that is why I mentioned a different form.
Again plant list consider D. coccinea as a different species though the confidence level is less and there is no D. falcata var. falcata in their list!

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 22, 2012, 4:02:51 AM4/22/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thanks for your reply.

Lets wait for comments of other members.

On the basis of medicinal properties and uses the Healers talk about over 30 types of Dendrophthoe.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Vijayasankar

Apr 22, 2012, 11:09:56 PM4/22/12
to Pankaj Oudhia, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Medicinal properties of D. falcata (or any other parasite for that matter) vary depend on the host plant, I assume.
Traditional healers in TN think that the one that grows on Neem tree has high medicinal value.  I have no idea about its actual use, though :(
I am sure Oudhia ji has a lot to say...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Giby Kuriakose

Apr 23, 2012, 12:53:49 AM4/23/12
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Oudhia, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
I too heard that tribals in Kearala prefer use Dendrophthoe spp. grow on Strychnos nux-vomica, which is rare at least in Kerala, as medicine.

Regards,
Giby