New Cucurbit- Sicyos angulatus ATJAN2015/05

Anil Thakur

Jan 15, 2016, 7:19:09 AM1/15/16
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Respected Group Members,

Have anyone seen Sicyos angulatus in India? It is not listed on BSI
website and no account has been given in various Floras. It is not
listed even in an extensive work on Indian Cucurbitaceae by Renner and
Pandey.

--
Regards,

Dr. Anil Kumar Thakur
Associate Professor (Botany)
Govt. P.G. College, Solan (H.P.)
Mob. 94184-50063
DSC_0012 (2).JPG
DSC_0018 (2).JPG
DSCN4186.JPG
DSCN4205.JPG
DSC_0380.JPG
DSC_0400.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 23, 2016, 11:25:10 PM1/23/16
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur
Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images).

DSC_0012 (2).JPG
DSC_0018 (2).JPG
DSCN4186.JPG
DSCN4205.JPG
DSC_0380.JPG
DSC_0400.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 28, 2016, 6:49:07 AM1/28/16
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur
Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Jan 29, 2016, 5:37:04 AM1/29/16
to efloraofindia
Yes it appears that it is not known in India.
Some net sources indicate it as a weed (problematic in some areas).
http://www.hear.org/gcw/species/sicyos_angulatus/
May have reached in your area with introduced temperate plants.
It may become a case of invasion by another American weed. Many have already invaded India and well established now.
Need reporting and later monitoring of populations in my opinion.
DSRawat Pantnagar

ANZAR KHUROO

Feb 2, 2016, 9:16:59 AM2/2/16
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr Anil

Very important plant record. It needs to be reported...

Anzar

D.S Rawat

Sep 21, 2016, 6:05:55 AM9/21/16
to efloraofindia
Congratulation Dr Thakur for reporting its occurrence in India, first time.
I saw the paper in Current Science today.
Please send a pdf or link which can be added to the page of Sicyos angulatus in efloraofindia.
And please keep a watch over this plant, it is invader in the country.

DSRawat Pantnagar

Anil Thakur

Sep 22, 2016, 9:26:52 AM9/22/16
to efloraofindia

Thank you, Dr. Rawat Ji

I had seen this plant in 2011 for the first time, but did not take it seriously. I thought it a common cucurbit based on its leaves. I was amazed in 2012 when saw its star-shaped bunches of fruits with spines. I posted it on FB page "Indian Flora" for ID in 2012, but was not identified. Unilocular ovary and one-seeded fruits were a lead for me to reach near Sechium and Sicyos. Then started searching the net and pinpointed Sicyos angulatus. By this time, I had come across a 65 page paper on Indian Cucurbitaceae by Renner and Pandey (2013). So, asked Prof. Renner to confirm my plant and for the reason of not including this in her paper. She suggested to write a small report on this plant.
Current Science dropped the abstract from my paper as a part of their guidelines for short communications.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh Sir helped me a lot by going through the manuscript and suggesting improvements.

Link to the paper:
http://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/111/05/0789.pdf
8.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 25, 2016, 4:12:51 AM9/25/16
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Anil Thakur, Gurcharan Singh
Well done, Anil ji.

Sep 25, 2016, 6:07:25 AM9/25/16
to efloraofindia, aniltha...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Congratulations Anil ji.

Best Wishes,

Samir Mehta
Well done, Anil ji.

Anil Thakur

Sep 25, 2016, 8:19:35 AM9/25/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Gurcharan Singh
Thank you, Garg Ji

Regards
ANIL THGAKUR

--
With best Regards,

Dr. Anil Kumar Thakur

Anil Thakur

Sep 25, 2016, 8:20:26 AM9/25/16
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Thank you, Mehta Ji

Regards
Dr. Anil Thakur

--
With best Regards,

Dr. Anil Kumar Thakur

Anil Thakur

Oct 16, 2020, 10:28:24 AM10/16/20
to efloraofindia
Garg Ji, Sicyos angulatus was also reported as a new addition to the Flora of India by me after posting it on efloraofindia in Jan 2015.

Regards
Sicyos angulatus.pdf

J.M. Garg

Oct 16, 2020, 11:52:20 AM10/16/20
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, D.S Rawat
Thanks, Anil ji,
Yes, numerous examples.
But only 10% come to our knowledge.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/c33c95b3-6101-4d31-b6d9-6d43b97656can%40googlegroups.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 17, 2020, 12:03:04 AM10/17/20
to efloraofindia
Congratulations Anil Ji.
Regards,
Aarti

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 1:42:51 PM UTC+5:30, JM Garg wrote:
Well done, Anil ji.

Promila Chaturvedi

Oct 19, 2020, 8:34:19 AM10/19/20
to indiantreepix
Congratulations Dr. Thakur.

Dr. Anil Kumar Thakur

Oct 19, 2020, 8:44:47 AM10/19/20
to efloraofindia
Thank you, Sir
Regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CADBhGjuDvOD7pOPthaZbGD22WnyYvk0TJc7zE59A1RbwmHKUkQ%40mail.gmail.com.