Solanaceae Week: Solanum for ID_RKC_05042011.

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Apr 4, 2011, 9:45:44 PM4/4/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

Pl help me to identify this Solanum sp.

Locality: Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh, 550 m

Date: Feb. 2007.

Local name: Tita baigan

Uses: Eaten as vegetable. Abundantly available in local market. Called as 'Tita' baigan due to its bitter taste.

Notes: Probably I am posting this species for the second time. Earlier I thought this to be as Solanum kurzii but could not confirm because of lack of time and different opinions from different taxonomists. Flowers are purple in color and locally grown for vegetable. Interestingly, S. kurzii is included in the Red data list of plants. I shall try to upload the flowering fotos also.

Regards,
Ritesh.
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2011, 10:27:28 PM4/4/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Ritesh ji

Tita baingan is Solanum kurzii, eaten as vegetable as per this source

But please let us see the twigs and flowers. It would be interesting. Description in Brandis, Indian Trees is very meagre.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2011, 7:43:03 AM5/5/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Ritesh ji
Few days back Muthu ji had posted photographs of what he thought S. kurzii. It has much larger fruits. One of the two would be S. kurzii, which we will know only after detailed description from original publication is available.
 In the mean time your fruits look much closer to Solanum diphyllum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Choudhary

May 5, 2011, 9:24:04 PM5/5/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Sir,

Thanks for digging out into the species. Actually, I am also searching
for the original description but not able to find yet. And I am also
not convinced with S. diphyllum sir! Pictures available on net looks
very different.

Regards,
Ritesh.

J.M. Garg

Aug 16, 2011, 8:59:35 AM8/16/11
to efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, Pravir, Muthu Karthick, Gurcharan Singh, H S, navendu page

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Tita baingan is Solanum kurzii, eaten as vegetable as per this source

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/3953/1/IJTK%208(2)%20146-153.pdf

https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/878e6398bb44c2f6/44ccd3790d5fb438?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Solanum+kurzii#44ccd3790d5fb438

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“Thanks for digging out into the species. Actually, I am also searching for the original description but not able to find yet. And I am also not convinced with S. diphyllum sir! Pictures available on net looks very different.

Regards,
Ritesh.”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 10, 2011, 7:09:11 AM11/10/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pra...@gmail.com, apda...@gmail.com, anupam...@gmail.com, pijush...@gmail.com

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1740 members & 90,000 messages on 31/10/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6000 species).

DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jun 28, 2016, 2:16:10 AM6/28/16
to efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, pra...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com
I think this is Solanum aethiopicum L. Here are more details from wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_aethiopicum

Requesting Gurcharan sir and other experts to confirm.

Regards,
Ritesh.