button sized flower from Hooghly (WB) 31-03-12 SK-3

surajit koley

Mar 31, 2012, 2:30:25 PM3/31/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

This is a wild herb of less than 1 ft and bearing button sized flower.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habita : small wild herb in uncultivated grassy land, also on roadside
Date : 15-03-12, 8.30 a.m.
Place : Nalikul (Hooghly), WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Aruna Rai

Apr 1, 2012, 2:19:37 AM4/1/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
It can be Gentelbua urens from Acanthaceae

.....Aruna

Dinesh Valke

Apr 1, 2012, 6:25:26 AM4/1/12
to Aruna Rai, indian...@googlegroups.com
Aruna ji, could not find any genus with such name "Gentelbua". Any error in spelling ?
To me the posted plant looks like some species of Strobilanthes OR Hemigraphis - just a guess.

Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Apr 1, 2012, 12:58:26 PM4/1/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Aruna Rai
Dear Aruna Ji & Dinesh Ji,

Thank you for the ID help. Today i shot this plant once again to get more clear photographs.

Taking the cue from Dinesh-Ji i found a plant at http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Hairy%20Hemigraphis.html that i think is the species in question.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

jmgarg1

Apr 10, 2012, 7:19:53 AM4/10/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, Ruhi Chhabra, Dinesh Valke, Aruna Rai

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“It can be Gentelbua urens from Acanthaceae” from Aruna Rai.

“Aruna ji, could not find any genus with such name "Gentelbua". Any error in spelling ?
To me the posted plant looks like some species of Strobilanthes OR Hemigraphis - just a guess.” from Dinesh ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Apr 10, 2012, 1:56:03 PM4/10/12
to jmgarg1, indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, Ruhi Chhabra, Dinesh Valke, Aruna Rai
Sir,

Thank you once again for making this post resurface.

Regards,

Surajit

jmgarg1

Neha Singh

Apr 24, 2012, 4:34:23 AM4/24/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Could be Hemigraphis hirta , Acanthaceae.

Regards
Neha Singh

jmgarg1

Apr 24, 2012, 5:14:14 AM4/24/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, Ruhi Chhabra, Dinesh Valke, A R
A reply:
"It is a very common plant in the southern part of West Bengal. It is Hemigraphis herta of Acanthaceae. It is one interesting pland. When its fruits will rife village children will through those in water and the fruits will then burst like miniature crackers!!"

Thanks, Dr. Das.

surajit koley

Apr 24, 2012, 12:12:14 PM4/24/12
to Neha Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Madam, found information on this species at - http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Hairy%20Hemigraphis.html

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Apr 24, 2012, 12:13:26 PM4/24/12
to jmgarg1, indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, Ruhi Chhabra, Dinesh Valke, A R
Thank you very much Sir, please convey my thanks to Dr. Das also.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

Aruna Rai

Apr 24, 2012, 12:32:34 PM4/24/12
to jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dr Dasji,
You mean Hemigraphis hirta? There are some more Acanthaceae members where the dried pods burst like miniature crackers when come in contact with water, I remember my childhood days when I use to enjoy these crackers by putting them in mouth.
....Aruna

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:44:14 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:112274] button sized flower from Hooghly (WB) 31-03-12 SK-3
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: surajitno...@gmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com; tanay...@gmail.com; ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in; mitra...@gmail.com; mithi...@yahoo.com; pch...@gmail.com; pauls...@gmail.com; micromi...@gmail.com; subh...@yahoo.com; apda...@gmail.com; pamyn...@gmail.com; dinesh...@gmail.com; aru...@hotmail.com

Shruti Shah

Mar 5, 2015, 3:45:12 AM3/5/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, aru...@hotmail.com
Surajitkoleyji, Dineshji, Arunaji, Sorry for interrupt your discussion but according to photograph you posted here plant sp. look more alike Hemigraphis elegans Nees. var. crenata (Syn. Hemigraphis crenata (Bth. ex Hohenack)  according to feature 1) in pic stem looks squarish (subquadrangular), viscidly pubescent   2) Leaves subobtuse, crenate, hairy, base shortly cuneate  3) Bracts are longer than calyx   4) corolla tube whitish, limbs blue (here light to dark shade but in pic not pure white and blue)  5) Longer filaments of the stamens bearded in the upper part (when zoom in pic hairyness seen). Please correct me if characters i seen in pics are wrong. and last for confirmation the species (if u have specimen) seeds densely clothed with hygroscopic white hairs.

J.M. Garg

Mar 5, 2015, 4:46:23 AM3/5/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, Neha Singh, A P Das, Shruti Shah, Dinesh Valke, Aruna Rai

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

surajit koley

Mar 5, 2015, 10:46:11 AM3/5/15
to shru...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Neha Singh, A P Das, Dinesh Valke, Aruna Rai, J.M. Garg
Madam,

It would be wonderful if this species gets identified as H. elegans Nees var. crenata. I do not know if the same can be found in West Bengal. One book says the species is endemic to Peninsular India. Hohenacker herbarium at KEW shows corolla tube non-ventricose, I think.

Attached here pictures of highest resolution I have retained with me. I do not have specimen, I do not belong to botany community.

Thank you very much.

Regards

surajit

DSCN1417.jpg
DSCN1418.jpg
VSCN1466.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 6, 2015, 2:20:45 AM3/6/15
to Shruti Shah, efloraofindia, Neha Singh, A P Das, Dinesh Valke, Aruna Rai, J.M. Garg
Madam,

A new set of this species, recorded today, flowering season has just started, only a few flowering now. I still have originals, please feel free if you need the originals.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

P1140649.jpg