ANAPR56 Sarcostemma sp. for identification

Anurag Sharma

Apr 20, 2015, 2:29:10 PM4/20/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Family: Apocynaceae
Date: 19th April 2015
Place: Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu
Habit: Climber
Habitat: Deciduous forest
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0109.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG
WP_20150420_087.jpg
WP_20150420_088.jpg
WP_20150420_089.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 26, 2015, 5:04:56 AM4/26/15
to efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Following Sarcostemma species I could find in efi:
Cynanchum viminale (Syn: (=) Sarcostemma acidum (Roxb.) Voig; (≡) Sarcostemma viminale (L.) R. Br.))
Leptadenia pyrotechnica (Syn: Sarcostemma pyrotechnicum (Forssk.) Schult.)
Oxystelma esculentum (Syn: Sarcostemma esculentum (L. f.) R.W. Holm);

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0109.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG
WP_20150420_087.jpg
WP_20150420_088.jpg
WP_20150420_089.jpg

greenearth

Apr 26, 2015, 2:41:32 PM4/26/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, anurag...@gmail.com, J. M. Garg

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 2:34:56 PM UTC+5:30, JM Garg wrote:
Following Sarcostemma species I could find in efi:
Cynanchum viminale (Syn: (=) Sarcostemma acidum (Roxb.) Voig; (≡) Sarcostemma viminale (L.) R. Br.))
Leptadenia pyrotechnica (Syn: Sarcostemma pyrotechnicum (Forssk.) Schult.)
Oxystelma esculentum (Syn: Sarcostemma esculentum (L. f.) R.W. Holm);

Thanks to Anurag-ji for an introduction to this genus
 I have seen several others among the milkweed climbers. Oxystelma  esculentum , Rosy milkweed climber is quite distinct.

As per  PlantList :
  1. Cynanchum viminale (L.)  is an accepted name. and S.viminale (L) R. Br is a synonym to this species
  2. Sarcostemma acidum (Roxb.) Voigt is a (separate) accepted name;
Are these the  only two milkweed climbers where  the leaves are scale-like ?

Three species  are described  with few images under Sarcostemma at Flowering plants of Kerala.

The following links with Images and descriptions may  also be useful to distinguish .
  link to    Cynanchum_viminale_subsp._brunonianum (Wight & Arn.) (Australia,  )
  link to     Sarcostemma acidum (Roxb.)Voigt.    (India,   )

regards
ASinha

Following a  Post on EFI is often  the beginning of a new journey !

Anurag Sharma

Apr 27, 2015, 2:30:34 PM4/27/15
to greenearth, indiantreepix
Thanks Sinha sir. I actually am not certain of the various floral parts and how to describe them- corona etc. and hence am waiting for someone to tell me what it is and how it can be used to identify the species and if further details are neccessary.
--
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Apr 28, 2015, 12:32:48 PM4/28/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Please check for S intermedium. Regards

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2015, 12:42:43 AM5/3/15
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, A.Sinha, Anurag Sharma

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

Thanks Sinha sir. I actually am not certain of the various floral parts and how to describe them- corona etc. and hence am waiting for someone to tell me what it is and how it can be used to identify the species and if further details are necessary. --

Anurag N. Sharma

Please check for S intermedium. Regards Shrikant

May 3, 2015, 1:55:26 AM5/3/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, A.Sinha, Anurag Sharma
I have already sent my view in a personal correspondence to Anurag Ji. That particular personal correspondence covered several issues, not particularly this plant though it featured in our discussion. This is another entirely unknown genus to me. I thank Anurag ji for introducing.

I copy here what I sent him yesterday -

"Dear Anurag Ji,

It is real tough. My guess is Sarcostemma brunonianum Wight & Arn. My guess is based on -
  • lateral umbels
  • canescent pedicel and calyx
  • 10 lobed outer corona (my guess is that it is the part just above the calyx, having a smaller lobe between two larger lobes
  • 5 fleshy inner corona
Please check probability, because I may be wrong, you can see how little response you have received in eFI. Please read carefully Wight's account in all descriptions attached herewith, including that of S. viminale (in S. brevistigma?). Also check following links -
Regards"

Thank you
Regards

M Swamy

May 3, 2015, 11:32:46 PM5/3/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, A.Sinha, Anurag Sharma
For me  S intermedium  as identified by Srikant ji  seems to be  correct.  See this link as well :  http://opendata.keystone-foundation.org/sarcostemma-intermedium-decne

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2015, 8:42:54 AM5/7/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, Anurag Sharma, M Swamy

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Please check for S intermedium. Regards
Shrikant

It is real tough. My guess is Sarcostemma brunonianum Wight & Arn. My guess is based on -
  • lateral umbels
  • canescent pedicel and calyx
  • 10 lobed outer corona (my guess is that it is the part just above the calyx, having a smaller lobe between two larger lobes
  • 5 fleshy inner corona
Please check probability, because I may be wrong, you can see how little response you have received in eFI. Please read carefully Wight's account in all descriptions attached herewith, including that of S. viminale (in S. brevistigma?). Also check following links -
Regards
Surajit

For me  S intermedium as identified by Srikant ji seems to be correct.
See this link as well: http://opendata.keystone-foundation.org/sarcostemma-intermedium-decne - from Mahadeswara ji.

May 7, 2015, 10:24:09 AM5/7/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley, Anurag Sharma, M Swamy
Gamble differentiates S. intermedium from S. brunnonianum as follows:

1a. Umbels always terminal; pedicels glabrous or slightly puberulous -- S. intermedium
1b. Umbels usually lateral; pedicels crispate villous   --S. brunnonianum

Based on these characters your photos indicate that the plant is Sarcostemma brunnonianum.

There are other differences given by Gamble, which are not discernible in your photos.
N. P. Balakrishnan
07-05-2015

Anurag Sharma

May 7, 2015, 11:23:05 AM5/7/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley, M Swamy
Surajit sir, I went through the books and your links, I am afraid I still do not understand the structure well enough to realise what I am looking at when it comes to the anthers/styles etc. I can only tell where the pollinia and stigma are present.

But I will take your's and N. P. Balakrishnan sir's identification- Sarcostemma brunnonianum.

Shrikant sir and Swamy sir, thank you for your help.

surajit koley

May 7, 2015, 1:54:28 PM5/7/15
to Anurag Sharma, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Swamy
Anurag Ji,

It was my guess only. I too can't tell you which part of this plant-flower is what. But perhaps I can make out which one is outer corona and which one is inner, besides stigma.

The point in favour of S. viminale (brunonianum is a subspecies) is = in DSC_0061.jpg = pointed and bifid stigma (can't say if it is prolonged one) = ref. Wight
But, your DSC_0101.jpg seems to show a few terminal umbels as well (please see attached highlighted part of your photograph) which I missed earlier.

The point against S. intermedium is = the flowers are pure white in that species = ref. Wight

Please also check description and other aspect of Cynanchum sarcomedium in the attached pdf file.

Here are two more links which can be useful -

Balakrishnan Sir, Mahadeswara Ji, Shrikant Ji.. all are equally respected to me. I only suggested probability. I do not know what this species can be. Based upon the flower size (described in the link1 above) and other features you check one more time and tell me what this species can be. I want to learn.

Thank you
Regards

Wight1b.jpg
Wight3.jpg
DSC_0101part.jpg
138.Meve_Liede-Schumann.KewBull.2012.Dissolution Sarcostemma.pdf

J.M. Garg

May 13, 2015, 7:15:37 AM5/13/15
to efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Thanks, Kunhikannan ji.

May 20, 2015, 9:59:24 AM5/20/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Surajit sir,

Now that I am going through the 0101 photo, I can spot various other spots where there are terminal umbels. It would put the characters as intermediate between the two species given in this. This is a little perplexing for me.
Agreed that S. intermedium may very well not be it.
Also, I feel that .5 mm style could not be called elongated and thus may not be applicable to this plant according to the description of Cynanchum sarcomedium in the paper!

I feel we should leave this here as- more points in favour of S. viminale and lesser in favour of the other species (mainly S. intermedium).
In case I should find this plant again elsewhere or another species, I will make sure to record a lot more details.

What do you think sir?

Anurag Sharma

surajit koley

May 20, 2015, 2:18:41 PM5/20/15
to Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix
A few terminal umbels doesn't pose problem, Anurag Ji, for Gamble's,KEY tells us "usually lateral" in S. brunonianum.

But where did you get 0.5 mm style?

Another point against S. intermedium is the corona lobes in your species may not be called acute, outer ones look like (sub)obtuse and the inner ones acuminate. But, I am not sure.

Thank you

Regards

Anurag Sharma

May 20, 2015, 2:30:05 PM5/20/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
Thank you for pointing out Gamble's key sir.
And the shape of the corona lobes.

Since the part outside which is bifid is the stigma, and the ovary is superior in Apocynaceae, I would assume that the stigma (in photo WP_20150420_088) Would begin just above 12.3 cm and end at around under 12.4 cm. the difference would give me roughly .5mm length of style and the remaining protruding bit- bifid stigma.

Or have I misunderstood the structure sir?

Anurag Sharma

May 20, 2015, 2:31:05 PM5/20/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
Please read as- I would assume that the style (in photo....-.

surajit koley

May 20, 2015, 10:39:00 PM5/20/15
to Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix
Why not 1 mm  Anurag Ji?

Thank you
Regards

WP_20150420_088.jpg

Anurag Sharma

Jun 2, 2015, 12:26:02 PM6/2/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
That is possible sir. I have looked at it wrongly.
Thank you.

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Dec 10, 2020, 4:16:57 AM12/10/20
to efloraofindia
POWO and GBIF has mentioned Cynanchum acidum (Roxb.) Oken and Cynanchum viminale (L.) L.
as two different sp. but CoL has treated them as one. I guess one of these two sp.
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 10, 2020, 5:34:08 AM12/10/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Anurag sharma

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Dec 17, 2020, 1:33:02 AM12/17/20
to efloraofindia, Anurag sharma, Saroj Kasaju, Santhan P, Devendra Bhardwaj
POWO lists numerous subspecies of Cynanchum viminale.
Out of this for two of them they give distribution in India:

I could not find out the difference between the two, but images match with those at Cynanchum viminale subsp. brunonianum (Wight & Arn.) Meve & Liede

Apr 14, 2021, 2:45:21 AM4/14/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 14, 2021, 2:46:25 AM4/14/21