Piper longum L. from Hooghly

surajit koley

Sep 21, 2012, 1:55:37 PM9/21/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Internet is very confusing source of info, well, sometimes.
A search for Piper longum L. gives plant pictures of distinctly variable leaf venation, even scanned herbarium images available in the net can be confusing too. Two such example :-
  1. http://www.rprcbbsr.com/herbarium/herbarium/images/id/658
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_pepper
On the other hand, images found some other sites do comply with my species :-
Bengali Name : PIPUL
Habit & Habitat : wild slender creeper, growing under very dense vegetation of, i think, Mikania micrantha Kunth.
Date : 21/9/12, 4.02 p.m.
Place : Garalgacha (Hooghly)

I am sorry that my camera is a dumb under low light.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

pipul_DSCN2251.jpg
pipul_DSCN2254.jpg
pipul_DSCN2255.jpg
pipul_DSCN2257.jpg
pipul_DSCN2258.jpg

Vijayasankar

Sep 21, 2012, 5:25:21 PM9/21/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Good morning Surajit ji,

This looks like a male plant of Piper longum. The male spikes are about 5 cm long and 3 mm in diameter (female spikes are shorter and stouter). Otherwise it may be a different species.
The picture with leafy plant at wiki page, is not of Piper longum.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

surajit koley

Sep 21, 2012, 9:35:26 PM9/21/12
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Good morning Vijayasankar Ji,

I thought my species looked somewhat similar to the illustration available at FoC - http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=1393&flora_id=2, and description available at - http://envis.frlht.org/plongum.htm informs male spike is 2-7 cm long.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Regards,

surajit