Grasses week- Oplismenus

Rashida Atthar

Dec 11, 2010, 8:38:09 AM12/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Amazing grasses week going on. Great photography, some grasses resembling windmills others beating beautiful flowers. I am sure a lot of us will feel far more at ease  with grasses now !  Here's my two pence to the contributions - Oplismenus not sure of species, could be burmanii? Ided by Dr Almeida seen at the forest in Mumbai on 20 Nov.'10 . As explained by Dr. Almeida this has spikelets (individual flowers) arranged in spikes all on one side, sparsely spaced sub-spikes, sessile flowers.

Ancient greek -hopliosmenus means 'armed'. The sound also resembles in Marathi 'aplas manus' meaning our  local person.

regards,
Rashida.
Oplismenus leaves.JPG
Oplismenus spikelets.JPG
Oplismenus flowers spikelets.JPG
Oplismenus flower.JPG

tanay bose

Dec 11, 2010, 9:10:58 AM12/11/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Is it Oplismenus burmannii (Retz.) P. Beauv.?

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

J.M. Garg

Dec 28, 2010, 8:00:35 AM12/28/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, Rani Bhagat, Nayan Singh, satish pardeshi

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Is it Oplismenus burmannii (Retz.) P. Beauv.?

Tanay”

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Oplismenus leaves.JPG
Oplismenus spikelets.JPG
Oplismenus flowers spikelets.JPG
Oplismenus flower.JPG

satish pardeshi

Dec 28, 2010, 8:39:06 AM12/28/10
to indiantreepix
Hello all
it is Oplismenus compositus(L.) Beauv

Regards
Satish Pardeshi
--
EACH ONE.... PLANT ONE...

Satish Pardeshi
Plant Taxonomist
Mumbai, Pune

Rashida Atthar

Dec 30, 2010, 5:09:49 AM12/30/10
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Thankyou Pardeshi ji and  Tanay. Request Dr. Anil ji to kindly confirm the species. Thankyou.

regards,
Rashida.