Flower ID request - RK1 - 10-Oct-2012

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 10, 2012, 12:24:20 PM10/10/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I would like to know the identification of this herb clicked in Karjat area. I hope I am abiding by the rules of this group, please correct me in case of mistakes.

--
Kind regards, Rashmi
rk_for-id_001_1.jpg

Neil Soares

Oct 10, 2012, 12:56:33 PM10/10/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Rashmi Khiani
Hi,
 This is Sida retusa. Please check the archives of this group for my photographs of this.
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 10/10/12, Rashmi Khiani <rashmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 11, 2012, 2:23:15 AM10/11/12
to Neil Soares, pksuji...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Neil ji,

Thanks a lot for the quick identification. I checked the archives and
found one thread with your photos of this plant and it looks
identical.

But I am slightly confused because I got a private reply from Mr P. K.
Sujith (pasted below) and he identified the first photo as Sida acuta
and the last photo as Sida rhombifolia. I am sure that all the photos
I have clicked are of one plant only.

Thanks also to Dinesh ji for your response.

Oct 11, 2012, 2:57:00 AM10/11/12
to Rashmi Khiani, Neil Soares, pksuji...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am also of the opinion that all pics do not belong to same plant they of course have resemblance...but the first image rk_for-id_001_1.jpg and third picture rk_for-id_001_3.jpg are of same plant, rest are distinct..

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assisstant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Vijayasankar

Oct 11, 2012, 10:42:42 AM10/11/12
to Nidhan Singh, Rashmi Khiani, Neil Soares, pksuji...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Neil ji's id: Sida retusa (the accepted name, however, is Sida alnifolia). As assured by Rashmi ji, I think all the pictures are of the same plant, too (due to similar stem color, indumentum, and the lower typically-retuse leaves can be seen in the backdrop of the first picture). A picture of whole plant may be helpful.

It is not uncommon to see variations in leaf shape and size even in the same plant here. The upper younger leaves usually narrower with pointed tips whereas the lower leaves characteristically broad and wedge-shaped or triangular with retuse / notched tip. This is clearly seen in one of Dinesh ji's pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/7980262837/ Pl also see: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/fqs48KRMsU4

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Satish Phadke

Oct 11, 2012, 11:13:44 AM10/11/12
to Rashmi Khiani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashmi ji
Many thanks for posting this interesting plant. This is the beauty of the group. If there is one reply there might be another with reasoning to it ultimately helping the ID of plants where often the flower looks same in  a genus but species may be different. The leaves are characteristic here which helps in ID.
Dr Satish Phadke

--
Kind regards, Rashmi

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 12, 2012, 4:18:51 AM10/12/12
to Vijayasankar, Nidhan Singh, Neil Soares, pksuji...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a million Nidhan ji & Vijayasankar ji for your responses. I'm
certain that the photographs are from one plant only. Thanks again for
your explanation about the varitiaon in leaf shape. I have attached
one more photo where both kinds of leaves are seen.
--
Kind regards, Rashmi
rk_for-id_001_6.jpg

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 12, 2012, 4:19:47 AM10/12/12
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Satish ji. I agree this is an amazing group for nature lovers.
--
Kind regards, Rashmi

Vijayasankar

Oct 12, 2012, 7:23:46 AM10/12/12
to Rashmi Khiani, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rashmi ji for sharing yet another 'character photograph'! It speaks for itself...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Neil Soares

Oct 12, 2012, 2:01:29 PM10/12/12
to Vijayasankar, Rashmi Khiani, Nidhan Singh, pksuji...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Sending one more photograph of mine.
                  With regards,
                    Neil Soares.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Neil ji's id: Sida retusa (the accepted name, however, is Sida alnifolia). As assured by Rashmi ji, I think all the pictures are of the same plant, too (due to similar stem color, indumentum, and the lower typically-retuse leaves can be seen in the backdrop of the first picture). A picture of whole plant may be helpful.
>
> It is not uncommon to see variations in leaf shape and size even in the same plant here. The upper younger leaves usually narrower with pointed tips whereas the lower leaves characteristically broad and wedge-shaped or triangular with retuse / notched tip. This is clearly seen in one of Dinesh ji's pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/7980262837/ Pl also see: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/fqs48KRMsU4
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Nidhan Singh <nidhans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am also of the opinion that all pics do not belong to same plant they of course have resemblance...but the first image rk_for-id_001_1.jpg and third picture rk_for-id_001_3.jpg are of same plant, rest are distinct..
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dr. Nidhan Singh
>> Assisstant Professor
>> Department of Botany
>> I.B. (PG) College
>> Panipat-132103 Haryana
>> Ph.: 09416371227

Sida retusa.jpg

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 12, 2012, 11:52:01 PM10/12/12
to Neil Soares, Vijayasankar, Nidhan Singh, pksuji...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Neil ji, this is really a very interesting plant.
--
Kind regards, Rashmi