Herb for id from Churdhar: NS September 01/01

Nidhan Singh

Sep 1, 2015, 11:33:50 AM9/1/15
to indiantreepix
Dear All,

Please suggest id for this tender herb shot from Churdhar range (H.P.), ca. 3100 m alt.
There was only one individual we could see around, height about 15-20 cm, leaves all alike..I am clueless on id, thus expert opinion requested !!

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227
tn_DSCF8064.JPG
tn_DSCF8068.JPG
tn_DSCF8071.JPG
tn_DSCF8072.JPG
tn_DSCF8073.JPG
tn_DSCF8075.JPG

surajitkoley

Sep 2, 2015, 1:29:25 PM9/2/15
to efloraofindia
Superb photographs Sir. But do not know what this is. I noticed it yesterday, tried to my capacity, but no break, looks similar to Lloydia but the genus has 2x3 perianth segments :((

Nidhan Singh

Sep 3, 2015, 12:50:37 AM9/3/15
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia
Thanks Surajit Ji for a very convincing lead..!!

D.S Rawat

Sep 3, 2015, 2:10:41 AM9/3/15
to efloraofindia
Looks like Lloydia as also suggested by Surjit Ji. Tepals are more than 6, though stamens looks 6 and triangular carpel suggest trimerous flower.
Attaching keys of indian species of Lloydia, hope these help (based on Dasgupta 2006). L.flavonutans is restricted to Eastern Himalaya only and characters suggests it as L.himalensis Royle.
Must be a new addition to eFI.
DSRawat Pantnagar
LLoydea.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Sep 3, 2015, 4:15:12 AM9/3/15
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Thanks Rawat Ji for key information, this is new genus in my database..
My pleasure if it is an addition to eFI..!!

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2015, 6:41:49 AM9/3/15
to Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia

Thanks, Nidhan ji for lovely posts

surajit koley

Sep 3, 2015, 11:50:05 AM9/3/15
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Thanks Rawat Sir, Nidhan Sir, may I have your views on https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/kU1febGmFfc/dav5oFwsrzMJ.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

surajit koley

Sep 3, 2015, 11:51:06 AM9/3/15
to J.M. Garg, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Nidhan Singh

Sep 4, 2015, 12:56:31 AM9/4/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Surajit Ji for the links, the things have narrowed down to the extent (attached):-
LLoydea.jpg

D.S Rawat

Sep 4, 2015, 1:23:46 AM9/4/15
to efloraofindia
Yes Surjit Ji is right in saying that BSI have few more species in their checklist of monocots. These are L.delavayi Franch., L.mairei Levielle, and L.tibetica Baker ex Oliv. (Karthikeyan et al.1989; probably also on net). However, the more recent document also from BSI (Dasgupta 2006 in Fascicle of Flora of India 23, not on the net) recognize only 4 species mentioned in the keys attached in my earlier post.
For the plant posted by Nidhan Ji we may have to decide between L.serotina and L.himalensis as L.flavonutans has yellow flowers and restricted to E.Himalaya while L.longiscapa (with which I am well aware) always have nodding flowers, hairy filaments and acute tepals.
To help in  deciding the ID attaching a diagram from Dasgupta 2006 where I have also marked the length of style which may be considered a clear distinguishing feature of L.himalensis.
DSRawat Pantnagar

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 9:03:50 PM UTC+5:30, Nidhan Singh wrote:
Lloydia in Dasgupta2006.JPG

D.S Rawat

Sep 4, 2015, 2:38:59 AM9/4/15
to efloraofindia
Please also see the Plant List 2013. All species of Lloydia are now transferred to Gagea genus.
DSRawat Pantnagar

surajit koley

Sep 4, 2015, 12:21:28 PM9/4/15
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Rawat Sir, for key, illustrations, explaining characters all.

I have never seen one so that I can determine a species. Yet I request you to please look into the photographs one more time. I attach two enlarged photographs.

The style in those two pics doesn't look like much longer than ovary. The illustration you have arrow marked clearly shows that in L. himalensis style extends to much above the anthers. Nidhan Sir's pics do not show this character.

One more point, L. himalensis is confined to Himalayan region of Kashmir, HP, Sikkim, Bhutan and possibly in China (but in another name). On the other hand L. serotina is distributed in Asia, Europe and North America. If we search images of L. serotina we will find many similar photographs in the net. Of-course perianth number would be six.

I think this species is L. serotina.

Perhaps https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/tmw7t9aQz1w/EEv-XVDz_VUJ is L. himalensis which usually have single flower bearing plants and style in image number DSC_1141.JPG looks significantly longer.

What we see in Nidhan Sir's photo is possibly fruit with persistent style. The only point in favour of L. himalensis is green base inside the white tepals. But this character can also be seen in uploads of L. serotina form different corner of the world.

Please correct me if anywhere I have gone wrong.

Thank you very much again.

Regards

surajit

--
tn_DSCF8071x2.jpg
tn_DSCF8075x2.jpg

D.S Rawat

Sep 5, 2015, 3:09:38 AM9/5/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thank you Surajit Ji for critically analyzing the ID based on the keys, illustration and pics (available on net). Since I was also in doubt the illustration was uploaded to compare with. I too feel that now it goes to L.serotina (now Gagea serotina) and the flower is abnormally developed with many perianths. I have seen L.serotina in Uttarakhand alpines many a times; it is more slender upto 10-15cm tall only and usually have brownish center which tempted me to suggest it as L.himalensis (an unresolved name in TPL2013).
The plant in the link https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/tmw7t9aQz1w/EEv-XVDz_VUJ
looks different and probably at that time I did not considered L.himalensis as a possibility. Yes it looks to have longer style. If we rely on this character it goes to L.himalensis.
DSRawat Pantnagar

Dr D.S.Rawat
Department of Biological Sciences, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pantnagar-263 145 Uttarakhand, INDIA

surajit koley

Sep 5, 2015, 1:13:27 PM9/5/15
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir. Nidhan Sir's specimen is unusual, in number of perianth segments and also in shapes of those segments. I have seen and recorded segment number variations (as many as 9 segments) in Amaryllidaceae member Zephyranthes, very commonly occurring in rain-lilies. But this Lloydia or Gagea is unknown to me.

Only Nidhan Sir can confirm what this species can be, deciding upon sizes of the flowers. It seems to me that the plate you have shared shows flowers of L. himalensis is larger than L. serotina (around 1 cm.).

Regards

surajit