Passiflora foetida

J.M. Garg

Mar 14, 2010, 12:05:05 PM3/14/10
to efloraofindia
I found two different patterns on the flowers- one completely white & the other with a purple band.
Otherwise both appeared the same. I think both are Passiflora foetida only.
On 9/8/09 near HAU, Hyderabad, A.P.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Passiflora foetida I IMG_0590.jpg
Passiflora foetida I IMG_0564.jpg
Passiflora foetida I IMG_0566.jpg
Passiflora foetida I IMG_0568.jpg
Passiflora foetida I IMG_0571.jpg
Passiflora foetida I IMG_0573.jpg
Passiflora foetida I IMG_0582.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 14, 2010, 12:33:11 PM3/14/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Garg Ji,
Both the plants in the photos are
    Taxonomic name: Passiflora foetida L. (Linnaeus, 1753)
    Synonyms: Dysosmia ciliata (Dryand.) M.Roem., Dysosmia fluminensis M.Roem., Dysosmia foetida (L.) M.Roem., Dysosmia gossypifolia (Desv. ex Ham.) M.Roem., Dysosmia hastata (Bertol.) M.Roem., Dysosmia hibiscifolia (Lam.) M.Roem., Dysosmia nigelliflora (Hook.) M.Roem., Granadilla foetida (L.) Gaertn., Passiflora baraquiniana Lem., Passiflora ciliata Dryand., Passiflora ciliata Dryand. var. polyadena Griseb., Passiflora ciliata Dryand. var. quinqueloba Griseb., Passiflora ciliata Dryand. var. riparia C.Wright ex Griseb., Passiflora foetida L. forma suberecta Chodat & Hassl., Passiflora foetida L. var. lanuginosa Killip, Passiflora foetida L. forma latifolia Kuntze, Passiflora foetida L. forma longifolia Kuntze, Passiflora foetida L. forma quinqueloba (Griseb.) Mast., Passiflora foetida L. var. acapulcensis Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. arizonica Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. balansae Chodat, Passiflora foetida L. var. ciliata (Dryand.) Mast., Passiflora foetida L. var. eliasii Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. fluminensis (M.Roem.) Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. galapagensis Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. gardneri Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. glaziovii Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. gossypifolia (Desv. ex Ham.) Mast., Passiflora foetida L. var. hastata (Bertol.) Mast., Passiflora foetida L. var. hibiscifolia (Lam.) Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. hirsuta Mast., Passiflora foetida L. var. hirsutissima Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. hispida (DC. ex Triana & Planch.) Killip, Passiflora foetida L. var. isthmia Killip
    Common names: bedoca (Spanish-Galapagos Islands), bombom (Chuuk), dulce (Saipan), fetid pa, grenadier marron (French-Reunion (La Réunion)), ka thoc rock, kinahulo' atdao (Saipan), kudamono (Palau), lani wai (Hawaii (Ni'ihau)), loliloli ni kalavo (Fiji), love-in-a-mist (English), mossy passionflower, pasio vao (Samoa), passiflore (French), passiflore fétide (French), passiflore poc-poc (French-Reunion (La Réunion)), passionflower (English), pohapoha (Hawaii), pompom (Pohnpei), pwomwpwomw (Pohnpei), qaranidila (Fiji), running pop, scarlet fruited passionflower, sou (Fiji), stinking passionflower (English), tea biku (Kiribati), ti grenadelle (French-Reunion (La Réunion)), tomates (Yap), vaine 'ae kuma, vaine 'initia (Tonga), vine vao (Niue), wild passion fruit (English), wild water lemon
    Organism type: vine, climber
    Passiflora foetida is a perennial herbaceous vine that originates from tropical America, but is now a pantropic weed. It is a common weed in many places of the Pacific and Atlantic, where it climbs over low vegetation on roadsides and in other disturbed places. Monitoring and management of this toxic plant is recommended in tropical areas where it is present.
    Description
    "Perennial vine, the stems hispid, with tendrils; leaves 3-parted; segments-apices acute; leaf base cordate; both sides hispid-hirsute; blades 3,5-10cm long, 4-12cm wide; petiole 2-6cm long; flowers solitary in axils, 3-5cm wide, purple and white on pedicels 2-7cm long; fruit yellow to orange; subglobose, thin leathery-skinned, nearly 2cm think, with many seeds; pulp scanty, sweetly tart. The very finely laciniate bracts enclosing the fruit probably gave rise to the curious common name" (Stone, 1970, in PIER, 2002).
    The whole plant has an unpleasant smell, but the ripe fruit is edible (Randall, 1998).
JUST SEE THE LIST OF SYNONYMS OF THIS PLANT IT'S AMAZING!!!!!

Regards
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

J.M. Garg

Mar 14, 2010, 12:39:02 PM3/14/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Tanay ji, for amazing details.

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 12:48:56 AM3/15/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Welcome Garg ji. the pleasure was all mine.
Tanay

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

Mar 15, 2010, 6:24:05 AM3/15/10
to efloraofindia
Wonderful details Tanay ji..I wonder where do you get this much of
information...nice to see these many synonyms..Look forward for more

On Mar 15, 9:48 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >>    The whole plant has an unpleasant smell, but the ripe fruit is edible
> >>    (Randall, 1998).
>
> >> JUST SEE THE LIST OF SYNONYMS OF THIS PLANT IT'S AMAZING!!!!!
>
> >> Regards
> >> tanay

> >> --
> >> Tanay Bose
> >> +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> >> 9830439691(Mobile)
> >> 9674221362 (Mobile)
>
> > --
> > With regards,

> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies,
> > Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
> > For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 8:55:54 AM3/15/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear Hari Ji,
Ha Ha Ha ...... I all available and known facts that I give.
Regards
Tanay