Another Phyllanthus species ABAUG2016/10

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 3, 2016, 10:44:09 PM8/3/16
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
I saw this plant yesterday and almost missed its flowers which were about 3mm across on stalks of similar lengths growing singly on leaf axils. I am not sure which species this is. Please advise.

Phyllanthus sp.
Near Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m approx.

Thanks.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Aug 4, 2016, 2:04:37 AM8/4/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Beautiful capture, Ashwini ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Tapas Chakrabarty

Aug 4, 2016, 1:06:18 PM8/4/16
to J.M. Garg, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Solitary female flowers with six sepals.  Phyllanthus clarkei occurs between 1500 - 2500 m altitudes. Its stature and texture of leaves vary with altitude.  The growth is stunted and the leaves become coriaceous at higher elevations.  Kindly compare the present image with the earlier ones.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 4, 2016, 7:36:37 PM8/4/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
I was thinking about Phyllanthus reticulatus

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 4, 2016, 11:55:47 PM8/4/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Tapas ji. It looked so different in habit at first glance that I did not think of it as the same species I had found a couple of days ago. But now that you point out the characteristics, it appears to be more similar. The altitude difference was about 75m or so, I am not sure if that’s enough to cause a variation.

Dr Singh has also suggested P. reticulatus which looks similar although the images on the internet show larger leaves on longer stalks. I am including two more images from the same lot if these can be of any help.

With regards,
Ashwini

The stems in the foreground belong to our plant;

On 4 August 2016 at 08:13, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
I saw this plant yesterday and almost missed its flowers which were about 3mm across on stalks of similar lengths growing singly on leaf axils. I am not sure which species this is. Please advise.

Phyllanthus sp.
Near Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m approx.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_1108_03Aug2016.jpg><_MG_1114_03Aug2016.jpg><_MG_1124_03Aug2016.jpg><_MG_1169_03Aug2016.jpg><_MG_1549_03Aug2016.jpg>

Tapas Chakrabarty

Aug 5, 2016, 1:04:24 PM8/5/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Now you are showing the true habit of a shrub and  the male flowers with 6 sepals, 6 distinct disc glands, two stamens at the centre with the filaments united into a conspicuous column. Though not clear in the image but it appears that there are a few free stamens surrounding this central column. Then yes, this is Phyllanthus reticulatus.  Thank you Gurcharan Sir for pointing out.
Please check the fruits which will be fleshy (berries), 5 - 6-locular and indehiscent (subg. Kirganelia). This species rarely ascends up to 1800 m altitude.
Thanks and regards.
Tapas.

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 7, 2016, 11:55:13 PM8/7/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Tapas ji,
Thank you very much once again for taking the time to explain the characteristics. I can see three stamen surrounded by six glands. To my inexperienced eye they seem to be free but could be fused at the bottom. I am attaching a tighter crop of the same flower and another angle.

I will look out for the fruits and report. Is there anything else I could check to confirm the identification?

With regards,
Ashwini

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
Thank you Tapas ji. It looked so different in habit at first glance that I did not think of it as the same species I had found a couple of days ago. But now that you point out the characteristics, it appears to be more similar. The altitude difference was about 75m or so, I am not sure if that’s enough to cause a variation.

Dr Singh has also suggested P. reticulatus which looks similar although the images on the internet show larger leaves on longer stalks. I am including two more images from the same lot if these can be of any help.

With regards,
Ashwini

<_MG_1587_03Aug2016.jpg>

The stems in the foreground belong to our plant;
<_MG_1149_03Aug2016.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Aug 8, 2016, 12:41:20 AM8/8/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Tapas Chakrabarty, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Very nice, Ashwini ji.

Tapas Chakrabarty

Aug 19, 2016, 1:58:03 PM8/19/16
to J.M. Garg, Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Ashwini ji,
Sorry for the late reply but I was away from Kolkata.
Here, there are three stamens surrounding the central column, which may be partially united at base.  Thus, this is Phyllanthus reticulatus.
Regards,
Tapas.

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Aug 20, 2016, 9:30:02 PM8/20/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Tapas Ji.

With warm regards,
Ashwini

On 19-Aug-2016, at 11:27 PM, Tapas Chakrabarty <tcha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Ashwini ji,
Sorry for the late reply but I was away from Kolkata.
Here, there are three stamens surrounding the central column, which may be partially united at base.  Thus, this is Phyllanthus reticulatus.
Regards,
Tapas.
On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very nice, Ashwini ji.

On 8 August 2016 at 09:24, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
Dear Tapas ji,
Thank you very much once again for taking the time to explain the characteristics. I can see three stamen surrounded by six glands. To my inexperienced eye they seem to be free but could be fused at the bottom. I am attaching a tighter crop of the same flower and another angle.

I will look out for the fruits and report. Is there anything else I could check to confirm the identification?

With regards,
Ashwini

<_MG_1591_03Aug2016.jpg>
<_MG_1599_03Aug2016.jpg>

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 28, 2016, 10:31:30 AM8/28/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Tapas ji/ Gurcharan Singh ji,,
I found the shrub fruiting and took some photos today. There are three prominent lines on the fruit suggesting it to be 3-locular but perhaps the fainter lines will develop into deeper grooves as the fruit ripens. Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

Tapas Chakrabarty

Aug 29, 2016, 1:00:21 PM8/29/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Aswini ji,
Please take little more trouble.  Take a cross section of one fruit and let us know how many chambers are actually there.

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 29, 2016, 11:04:32 PM8/29/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Tapas ji. I will do that soon and report back.

Regards,
Ashwini

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
Dear Tapas ji/ Gurcharan Singh ji,,
I found the shrub fruiting and took some photos today. There are three prominent lines on the fruit suggesting it to be 3-locular but perhaps the fainter lines will develop into deeper grooves as the fruit ripens. Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

<_MG_9419_28Aug2016.jpg><_MG_9430_28Aug2016.jpg><_MG_9433_28Aug2016.jpg><_MG_9441_28Aug2016.jpg>

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 30, 2016, 12:14:07 PM8/30/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Tapas ji, I brought two tiny fruits home but could not cut them cleanly across due ti their small size. Here is a photo of the cross-section. There appear to be six sections if I am not mistaken.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

Tapas Chakrabarty

Aug 30, 2016, 12:26:09 PM8/30/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Ashwini ji,
Thank very much for your efforts and interest.
Now we all can see a berry with five chambers in it.  Thus, this is Phyllanthus reticulatus Poir. subgenus Kirganelia.

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 30, 2016, 11:28:35 PM8/30/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Tapas ji. I will also go and check the P. clarkei soon for fruits.

Regards,
Ashwini

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
Tapas ji, I brought two tiny fruits home but could not cut them cleanly across due ti their small size. Here is a photo of the cross-section. There appear to be six sections if I am not mistaken.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

<PICT1248_30Aug2016.jpg>

Ashwini Bhatia

Sep 1, 2016, 12:26:46 PM9/1/16
to indiantreepix, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty
In my earlier uploads of this plant there was no hint of scale and size of the individual flowers and the fruit. I am posting some additional photos here to correct that.

Thanks.
Ashwini

Female flower above the male;

Male flower;

Female flowers;

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 1, 2016, 4:03:53 PM9/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, indiantreepix, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty

Ashwini:
superb
shadow-less white background
love it
this is what book editors love

time for you to think of making such a collection of photographs for your
neck of the woods flora book
I am serious

even the enlargements ( i surmise not true macro shots) are also nice.
imagine what a true macro (long one ) in your hands would do

usha di

Usha di
===========

Tapas Chakrabarty

Sep 1, 2016, 5:02:29 PM9/1/16
to Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

I wanted to say something - but not necessary now after seeing comments by Usha di.

Ashwini Bhatia

Sep 1, 2016, 11:20:36 PM9/1/16
to Ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty
Dear Ushadi,
Thanks. I have had an old manual-fous half-size macro since last year (given by a friend) which I now use almost exclusively for my flora work. It is a great lens when I can focus correctly. Many of the closeups in this thread are taken on a low-res digital microscope which is good for showing details but may not be good for printing.

I do harbour thoughts of compiling a flora of my immediate area. This summer I produced two illustrated catalogues (one on trees and another on wild flowers) of a residential school campus nearby and gifted the copies to its library. I counted and included about 130 wild flowers and more than a dozen wild trees on the campus with detailed photos and text. I plan to produce something similar for Dharamshala. Thanks mostly to this group, I have now about 275 species photographed and identified (around ten still not certain) from the upper areas. I hope to interest a publisher one day.

The white background is to show details otherwise hidden in the field. What I like most are the photos taken in the open. A good mix of the two illustrates different characteristics of the plants well.

I am going hiking tomorrow trying to go beyond 3000m to explore the slopes for wild plants. Hope fully I will have some new plants to share.

Many thanks for your encouragement.
Ashwini

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
In my earlier uploads of this plant there was no hint of scale and size of the individual flowers and the fruit. I am posting some additional photos here to correct that.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_3232_31Aug2016.jpg>

Female flower above the male;
<_MG_3181_31Aug2016.jpg>

Male flower;
<PICT1253_31Aug2016.jpg><PICT1274_31Aug2016.jpg><PICT1279_31Aug2016.jpg>

Female flowers;
<PICT1283_31Aug2016.jpg><PICT1286_31Aug2016.jpg><PICT1289_31Aug2016.jpg>

--
Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Sep 2, 2016, 1:12:44 AM9/2/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thanks, Ashwini ji, for these efforts.
I have no doubt that you will do better than what Pradip Krishan has done with Trees of Delhi.

Tapas Chakrabarty

Sep 2, 2016, 4:04:01 AM9/2/16
to J. M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, Ashwini Bhatia

When we started working, it was Ashai Pentax camera or cheaper Russian camera, Yashica. Color photography was expensive.

Ashwini Bhatia

Sep 2, 2016, 6:36:03 AM9/2/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J. M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix
Thank you Tapas ji. I remember those days too. Pentax K1000 was my first camera before I moved on to Nikon FM10 and then FM2. Now the life is made much easier by digital cameras and the internet.

Regards,
Ashwini

Ashwini Bhatia

Sep 2, 2016, 6:41:06 AM9/2/16
to J.M. Garg, Ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty
You are too generous in your praise Mr Garg. Pradip Krishen’s Trees of Delhi and Trees of Central India are the gold standards of illustrated flora books.

Many thanks for your encouragement though.
Ashwini

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 3, 2016, 8:44:09 AM9/3/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Tapasda
please tell us what did you want to say?
please dont stop because of my writing
your writing would be your writings
your thoughts
unique to you

if you dont type out your thoughts we are all the poorere for it
please tell us
usha di

--
Usha di

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 3, 2016, 8:44:58 AM9/3/16
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Ashwini
whats a half size macro?

--
Usha di