Fwd: Hardy Geraniums New Edition 2001 by Peter Yeo

J.M. Garg

Jan 20, 2017, 11:28:29 PM1/20/17
to efloraofindia, chrischa...@btinternet.com
Thanks, Chadwell ji.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: C CHADWELL <chrischa...@btinternet.com>
Date: 21 January 2017 at 06:18
Subject: Hardy Geraniums New Edition 2001 by Peter Yeo
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>

I managed to get hold of a cheap second-hand copy of this.

It is my intention to review the book at some point and share relevant
information about Himalayan species.

But please note this is NOT a botanical monograph of the genus Geranium.

The book, although it has detailed content, is primarily aimed at serious gardeners
with a special interest in Geranium.

It was called 'Hardy Geraniums' to distinguish the subject from the non-Hardy 'Geraniums'
as they are commonly known in the UK, which are in fact Pelargoniums.

It is an account of Geraniums IN CULTIVATION - which has a bearing of what is covered and
how this is done.  Whilst of USE in improving our understanding of Geraniums in the Himalaya,
it is NOT an account of Geraniums in the wild and has its limitations.

As far as I know, Yeo never visited the Himalaya, so was reliant upon studying Geraniums growing
primarily in the UK and pressed specimens in British herbaria.

What a pity he passed away.  The book was first published in 1985, in the early days of my travels
to the Himalaya.   Correspondence I had with Yeo went beyond what was feasible to include within
such a book.

Best Wishes,

Chris Chadwell

81 Parlaunt Road
SLOUGH
SL3 8BE
UK

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).