Canna indica (family: Cannaceae) :: Hooghly, WB

surajit koley

Mar 2, 2012, 11:59:25 AM3/2/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Attaching images of *Canna indica*, a common monocot plant seen as ornamental as well as in the wild. I do not know the specific varieties of this herb. But a search in the net tells me that it is *Canna indica var. indica*. This plant is often visited by purple sunbird for its nectar.

Species : Canna indica (family: Cannaceae)
Bengali name : KALA-PHOOL / KALABATI / SARBAJAYA
Date : 01-March-2012 @ 10.34 a.m. & 21-Dec-2009 @ 11.11 a.m. (with sunbird)
Place : Hooghly (West Bengal)
Habitat : Ornamental, wild

Regards,

Surajit Koley
Canna_sp._01.jpg
Canna_sp._02.jpg
Canna_sp._03.jpg
Canna_sp._04.jpg
Canna_sp._05.jpg
Canna_sp._06.jpg
Canna_sp._07.jpg
Canna_sp._08.jpg

Balkar Singh

Mar 2, 2012, 12:30:04 PM3/2/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Nice set with all features...
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Mar 2, 2012, 12:41:04 PM3/2/12
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir.

Regards,

Surajit koley

Prasad Dash

Mar 3, 2012, 12:45:10 AM3/3/12
to surajit koley, Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Excellent shot Surajit Ji. Purple sunbird add more price to the flowers of C.indica in tems of pollination services

Regards

Prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Odisha, India

surajit koley

Mar 3, 2012, 12:39:22 PM3/3/12
to Prasad Dash, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir once again. As for the purple sunbird it was taken in 2009 and i was more drawn to birds-butterflies-dragonflies in those days. I was very much afraid of our flora world because of my ignorance. It is not that i know something about fauna but they are moving type!

I think our education system needs total overhaul. There is very little scope of getting acquainted with even one's own surroundings, e.g. i read a lot about potato but i do not know how the plant looks like or where upon it potato grows!

Regards,

Surajit Koley