Ravenala madagascariensis from Hooghly

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 3:01:55 PM5/3/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Attaching images of Ravenala madagascariensis found in a private property.

Species : Ravenala madagascariensis
Habit & Habitat : herbaceous perennials, garden
Date : 11-03-12, 8.56 a.m.
Place : Hooghly, WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN0266.jpg
DSCN0269.jpg

mani nair

May 4, 2012, 12:06:12 AM5/4/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Hi Surajit ji, beautiful tree.
Regards,
Mani

On 5/4/12, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir / Madam,
>
> Attaching images of *Ravenala madagascariensis* found in a private property.
>
> Species : *Ravenala madagascariensis*

surajit koley

May 4, 2012, 12:37:30 PM5/4/12
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Mani Sir, i have more pics of this tree, recorded sometime in 2009-10, will search my archives and upload when i find any.

Regards,

surajit

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2012, 11:40:39 PM5/4/12
to surajit koley, mani nair, efloraofindia
Yes, the Travellers palm
We had first seen it when we visited Madras in 1966 as students of M.Sc. Prev.. Here is the scanned BW photograph of that.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Nidhan Singh

May 5, 2012, 11:04:13 AM5/5/12
to Gurcharan Singh, surajit koley, mani nair, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan Sir, what a beautiful photograph...the plant is equally elegant, thanks Surajit Ji for the initial post....
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

surajit koley

May 5, 2012, 12:50:31 PM5/5/12
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, efloraofindia
Wonderful photography Sir,.. reminiscence of sweet nostalgic words : kodak, film, negatives, box camera, excursions, classmates.... Though i was only two years then, yet i know all those photography equipment, we had a studio cum darkroom for our personal use. It was fantastic, in no way comparable to modern days point & shoot photography.

Thank you very very much...

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 5, 2012, 12:56:19 PM5/5/12
to Nidhan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Nidhan Sir, one thing i forgot to mention - we call it PAANTHA-PAADAP (PAANTHA = traveller; PAADAP = plant, tree) in Bengali.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 16, 2012, 3:39:13 AM5/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir / Madam,

Attaching images of another Ravenala madagascariensis found in ASHRAM compound.

Species : Ravenala madagascariensis Sonnerat
Habit & Habitat : herb, garden
Date : 14-05-2012, 10.35 a.m.
Place : Garalgacha Harisabha (Hooghly)