Malvaceae week :: Urena sinuata

Dinesh Valke

Sep 7, 2011, 8:03:58 AM9/7/11
to efloraofindia
Urena sinuata L.
  • ur-REE-nuh -- from Indian (Malabar) name uren for plants of this genus
    sin-yoo-AY-tuh or sin-yoo-AH-tuh -- with a wavy margin

Urena sinuata
Oct 14, 2007 at Kharghar Hills, Navi Mumbai

commonly known as: burr mallow, caesarweed, Congo jute, hibiscus burr, pink burr, pink Chinese burr, urena burr • Bengali: okhra • Hindi: bachita, gataya, लपेटवां lapetua, unga • Kannada: ಒತ್ತೆ otte (unsure of this name) • Konkani: tupkate • Malayalam: ഒട്ടൊട്ടി ottotti, ഊരകം urakam, ഉറം uram • Manipuri: সমপাকপী sampakpi • Marathi: वन भेंडी van bhendi, जंगलीकापशी junglikapashi • Nepalese: नालु कुरों nalu kuro • Sanskrit: अतिबल atibala, बल bala • Tamil: துத்திப்பூண்டுவகை thuththippuntuvakai, ஒட்டுத்துத்தி ottuttutti • Telugu: నల్ల బెండ nalla benda, పెడ్డబెండ peddabhenda

Regards.
Dinesh

Balkar Arya

Sep 9, 2011, 9:05:34 PM9/9/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Two pictures of mine also
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Urena sinuata (1).JPG
Urena sinuata (2).JPG

surajitkoley

Nov 30, 2012, 1:05:28 PM11/30/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh Ji,

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
u_sinuata.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 30, 2012, 1:42:46 PM11/30/12
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia
Surajit ji, immense thanks once again for these authentic references and valid name for this plant. Will make the relevant change in my notes very soon. I will certainly make use of the archived Bengal Plants volumes for getting to authentic names. Thanks for scanning efforts too.

Regards.
Dinesh