Fabaceae-Caesalpinioideae (Caesalpiniaceae) Week: Bauhinia variegata from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 4, 2011, 1:16:08 PM12/4/11
to efloraofindia
Bauhinia variegata Linn., Sp. Pl. 375. 1753.

Common names: Mountain ebony, orchidtree
Hindi & Mar: Kachnar
Beng: Raktakanchan
Tam: Segapumanchori
Kan: Kanchavala
Mal: Chuvannamandarum

Tree up to 12 m tall; leaves 7-13 cm long, 10-15 cm broad, somewhat broader than long; cleft 1/3 with rounded lobes, base cordate, petiole 2-4 cm long; flowers 10-12 cm across, in short racemes, pedicel short or absent; calyx 2-2.5 cm long, 5-toothed at apex, tomentose; petals overlapping, 5-6 cm long, white to pink with purplish veins, fifth upper darker; stamens 5; pod 15-25 cm long, 1.5-2 cm thick

Photographed from Janak Puri, New Delhi in March, Flowers appearing generally before leaves.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Bauhinia-variegata-Janak-puri-Delhi-1-DSC05063.jpg
Bauhinia-variegata-Janak-puri-Delhi-2-DSC05065.jpg
Bauhinia-variegata-Janak-puri-Delhi-3-DSC05074.jpg

Balkar Singh

Dec 4, 2011, 8:30:11 PM12/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir for Nice series on Bauhinia

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Dec 7, 2011, 10:14:35 AM12/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks for the information. I was not aware about the differences between this and B.purpurea.
Surprisingly BSI Mah flora doesn't mention this species at all.......

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

prasad dash

Dec 19, 2011, 4:19:57 AM12/19/11
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
To me this is another great catch especially the 2nd image

Regards

prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash