Lauraceae for ID Persea ?? AT MAR 2017/16

Anil Thakur

Mar 7, 2017, 11:11:32 AM3/7/17

Mar 7, 2017, 11:12:57 AM3/7/17

Mar 7, 2017, 11:04:16 PM3/7/17

Mar 8, 2017, 7:09:07 AM3/8/17

Anil Thakur

Mar 12, 2017, 1:39:20 PM3/12/17
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
On 3/7/17, Anil Thakur <aniltha...@gmail.com> wrote:
DSCN7414.JPG
DSCN7424.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Mar 13, 2017, 9:15:55 AM3/13/17
to Anil Thakur, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Anil Ji,
I have also seen this tree, in Mussoorie and in Chakrata area, the input received is a conflict between the two, Neolitsea pallens and Persia duthei...all due to the fact that I could not record flower pics on any of the occasions..!!!
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Anil Thakur

Mar 13, 2017, 12:41:26 PM3/13/17
to Nidhan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
Dr. Nidhan Singh ji, I have photographs of fruits of Neolitsea pallens with me.  I had photographed them in 2015 & 2016.  I was was successful in clicking the plants in flowering stage this year. Here this plant flowers in February when no other tree is in flowering stage in Shimla. Even herbaceous plants are not in flowering except Viola canescens, Valerians jatamansi and Ainslea aptera.

Regards

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 13, 2017, 1:14:02 PM3/13/17
to efloraofindia
Mar 14, 2017, 12:22:44 AM3/14/17
to Anil Thakur, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Thanks,  Anil ji and Nidhan ji

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2017, 3:51:29 AM3/23/17
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Nidhan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

I have also seen this tree, in Mussoorie and in Chakrata area, the input received is a conflict between the two, Neolitsea pallens and Persia duthei...all due to the fact that I could not record flower pics on any of the occasions..!!!
--
Regards,
Dr. Nidhan Singh

Dr. Nidhan Singh ji, I have photographs of fruits of Neolitsea pallens with me.  I had photographed them in 2015 & 2016.  I was was successful in clicking the plants in flowering stage this year. Here this plant flowers in February when no other tree is in flowering stage in Shimla. Even herbaceous plants are not in flowering except Viola canescens, Valerians jatamansi and Ainslea aptera.

Regards
Anil Thakur

PL. see fruits of Persea duthiei at http://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/11614/_HERBARIUMSPECIMEN_RBGK_UK_K000228447.html

Mar 26, 2017, 2:09:52 PM3/26/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Nidhan Singh
Anil ji,

I am now in a position to comment on the images of the supposed Persea species posted by you under this thread.
Let us start with the generic identity. Well, Persea is a poorly defined genus, and especially it is difficult to distinguish it from the segregate genus Machilus.  However, we may observes the paniculate-cymose type of infructescences, 6 tepals persistent at the base of the fruits which are spreading to reflexed (a cupule is absent).  The leaves are alternate or slightly clustered, pinnately veined and glaucous on the undersurface.  These characters conform to the genus Persea Mill. as defined by Werff (in Blumea 46: 125-140. 2001).  In absence of a taxononic revision, we have to depend on the available floristic treatments. I find that the images posted by you closely match with Persea duthiei (King ex Hook.f.) Kosterm., described from your area.but your photographs are not of P. duthiei. If we consult the protologue of this species and the images of the type materials housed in the Kew herbarium (http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getHomePageResults.do?homePageSearchText=Persea+duthiei&x=10&y=10&homePageSearchOption=scientific_name&nameOfSearchPage=home_page) and particularly the image at (http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000228447) we find that the fruits are subglobose and noted to be half inch in diam. (in the protologue) and ca 10 mm in diam. (as on the type specimens).
Then what is the identity of your plant?  The fruits in your plant are clearly ovoid-ellipsoid and probably much larger in size than in P. duthiei and I also find that the lateral nerves of leaves are fewer in number.  Hence I  feel that the present images are very interesting and need to be studied in detail.  You may please collect plenty of herbarium specimens both in flowering and fruiting and study in detail. The images are not matching with any species of Persea described so far from India and adjoining areas.
With kind regards,
Tapas.

Anil Thakur

Mar 26, 2017, 3:07:24 PM3/26/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Nidhan Singh
Thank you, Chakrabarty Sir.
I'll ask someone from Solan area to collect specimens for me.
I have collected some specimens of the other plant which I am desperately trying to know. I have also collected a few twigs of Neolitsea pallens from Shimla.

Regards
Anil Thakur

J.M. Garg

Mar 27, 2017, 1:09:05 AM3/27/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Anil Thakur, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Thanks,  Tapas ji

J.M. Garg

Apr 6, 2017, 4:12:10 AM4/6/17
to J.M. Garg, Anil Thakur, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
I clearly hinted that this plant is a hitherto unrecognized species of Persea and therefore think that it should be described as a new species after thorough investigation following usual procedure.

Anil Thakur

May 20, 2017, 2:07:32 PM5/20/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Respected Chakrabarty Sir,

Can I send dried specimens to you for further action?

Regards
Dr. Anil Thakur
>> Let us start with the generic identity. Well, *Persea *is a poorly
>> defined genus, and especially it is difficult to distinguish it from the
>> segregate genus *Machilus*. However, we may observes the
>> paniculate-cymose type of infructescences, 6 tepals persistent at the
>> base
>> of the fruits which are spreading to reflexed (a cupule is absent). The
>> leaves are alternate or slightly clustered, pinnately veined and glaucous
>> on the undersurface. These characters conform to the genus *Persea
>> *Mill.
>> as defined by Werff (in Blumea 46: 125-140. 2001). In absence of a
>> taxononic revision, we have to depend on the available floristic
>> treatments. I find that the images posted by you closely match with
>> *Persea
>> duthiei *(King ex Hook.f.) Kosterm., described from your area.but your
>> photographs are not of *P. duthiei. *If we consult the protologue of this
>> species and the images of the type materials housed in the Kew herbarium
>> (
>> http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getHomePageResults.do?homePageS
>> earchText=Persea+duthiei&x=10&y=10&homePageSearchOption=scie
>> ntific_name&nameOfSearchPage=home_page) and particularly the image at (
>> http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000228447) we find
>> that the fruits are subglobose and noted to be half inch in diam. (in the
>> protologue) and ca 10 mm in diam. (as on the type specimens).
>> Then what is the identity of your plant? The fruits in your plant are
>> clearly ovoid-ellipsoid and probably much larger in size than in *P.
>> duthiei *and I also find that the lateral nerves of leaves are fewer in
>> number. Hence I feel that the present images are very interesting and
>> need to be studied in detail. You may please collect plenty of herbarium
>> specimens both in flowering and fruiting and study in detail. The images
>> are not matching with any species of *Persea *described so far from India
>> and adjoining areas.
>> With kind regards,
>> Tapas.

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 20, 2017, 2:40:11 PM5/20/17
to Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Anil ji,

You are most welcome.  Please also attach herbarium labels with the specimens so that they can be deposited in herb. CAL in due course when the studies on them are over. Please use some hard board so that the specimens are not damaged during transit.

Best regards,
Tapas.

My postal address:

TAPAS CHAKRABARTY
4, BOTANICAL GARDEN LANE
P. O. BOTANIC GARDEN
HOWRAH - 711 103 (WB).

MOBILE: +91 9051737959

Anil Thakur

May 20, 2017, 2:50:49 PM5/20/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, Nidhan Singh
Thank you, Sir
Regards

J.M. Garg

Oct 14, 2017, 8:43:44 AM10/14/17
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tapas Chakrabarty
Pl. also check with images at Ocotea lancifolia (Schott) Mez although I am doubtful.
DSCN7764.JPG
DSCN7422.JPG
DSCN7409.JPG
DSCN7766.JPG
DSCN7407.JPG

Anil Thakur

Oct 14, 2017, 9:54:39 AM10/14/17
to J. M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
Thank you, Garg ji
I have this plant with me. I have kept it with its old name Persea angustifolia. Thank you for familiarizing me with new name.

Regards

Tapas Chakrabarty

Oct 14, 2017, 10:18:03 AM10/14/17
to Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Anil ji was supposed to send me dried specimens for further studies but he changed his mind.
Anyway my comments are still standing.
Thank you for resurfacing .

Anil Thakur

Oct 14, 2017, 11:05:32 AM10/14/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg
Respected Dr. Tapas Sir
I have not changed my mind, but wanted to collected some more samples, for detailed studies. Secondly, our schedule is very tight (28 hours of teaching per week as against 14 hours suggested by UGC for associate professors) during July-Sept as final semester exams start in October here in H.P. I'll send, what ever I have collected,  within 3-4 days. Kindly guide me on my mail (aniltha...@gmail.com) as I have no practical training in taxonomy.

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Jun 1, 2018, 6:17:23 AM6/1/18
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Nidhan Singh, Tapas Chakrabarty
Jun 1, 2018, 6:41:06 AM6/1/18
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Nidhan Singh
I am happy that this old post has resurfaced. I will check and inform.
However, I may be very irregular till 15th June.
Thanking you.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 1, 2018, 7:10:46 AM6/1/18
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Nidhan Singh
Thanks, Tapas ji.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

J.M. Garg

Jun 5, 2018, 1:39:04 AM6/5/18
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur
What do you think, Anil ji

Jun 15, 2018, 3:32:49 AM6/15/18
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tapas Chakrabarty
To me appears close to images at Machilus odoratissima
Pl. validate.

To me appears close to images at Machilus odoratissima
Pl. validate or otherwise.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

With regards,
J.M.Garg

DSCN7764.JPG
DSCN7422.JPG
DSCN7409.JPG
DSCN7766.JPG
DSCN7407.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2020, 4:44:07 AM10/5/20
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur
Thanks, Anil ji.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Nov 6, 2021, 2:50:47 AM11/6/21
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tapas Chakrabarty
Hi, Anil ji and Tapas ji,
Could it be finally identified?
DSCN7764.JPG
DSCN7422.JPG
DSCN7409.JPG
DSCN7766.JPG
DSCN7407.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 6, 2021, 7:24:00 AM11/6/21
to efloraofindia
Garg ji, Anil ji and Tapas ji
I think it is neither Persea duthei nor P. odoratissima
P. duthei is characterized by leaves with 12-20 pairs of nerves, linear-oblong sepals, spreading in fruit and globose fruits.
Persea odoratissima with coriaceous leaves having 7-13 pairs of nerves, sepals oblong, reflexed in fruit, fruit ellipsoid up to 15 mm long, 7 mm broad.
I hope my two uploads are correctly identified
If so the above plant is different in lighter coloured leaves with few veins and ellipsoid fruits (like P. odoratissima) but spreading sepals in fruit (like P. duthei), which are, however much narrower. As Tapas ji suggests, we may have to look for some other species.

Gurcharan Singh

Tapas Chakrabarty

Nov 6, 2021, 9:03:21 AM11/6/21
to Gurcharan Singh, Anil Thakur, indiantreepix, jmgarg1
This is still unidentified and may be interesting. Genus Persea is restricted to South America and the Indian species belong to Machilus.
Regards,
Tapas.

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Feb 11, 2024, 12:53:59 PMFeb 11
to efloraindia, Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg
Dear Anil Ji

This looks like a cultivated sp., is it ?

Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

Anil Thakur

Feb 11, 2024, 10:31:30 PMFeb 11
to Saroj Kumar Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
Not cultivated, Sir
Regards

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 14, 2024, 3:11:26 AMFeb 14
to Anil Thakur, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
I guess it is very close to Machilus odoratissimus Nees syn : Persea odoratissima (Nees) Kosterm.

Please check other images also in GBIF !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 16, 2024, 1:22:19 AMFeb 16
to Anil Thakur, efloraindia, J.M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 17, 2024, 12:30:00 AMFeb 17
to Anil Thakur, efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty

Thank you Anil!

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 18, 2024, 9:46:46 AMFeb 18
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Anil Thakur

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Feb 22, 2024, 6:56:48 AMFeb 22
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, Anil Thakur, Saroj Kasaju
I hope Tapas ji agrees with id as Machilus odoratissimus Nees syn : Persea odoratissima (Nees) Kosterm. (as suggested by Saroj ji)

Feb 22, 2024, 10:46:20 AMFeb 22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Saroj Kasaju
I think yes, Machilus odoratissima.
Regards,
Tapas

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 22, 2024, 11:13:33 AMFeb 22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur

Thank you Taps Da !

Saroj Kasaju

Anil Thakur

Feb 22, 2024, 9:12:22 PMFeb 22
to Saroj Kasaju, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr. Tapas Sir, Dr. Singh Sir, Saroj ji and Garg ji.
Regards

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 22, 2024, 9:27:44 PMFeb 22
to Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
OK Anil ji.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju