Convolvulaceae Week: Ipomoea bona-nox L. from Hooghly (WB) (indiantreepix@googlegroups.com)

surajit koley (Google Docs)

Mar 14, 2012, 1:44:35 PM3/14/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Click to open:

Sir,

I thought my journey (as an explorer) to ‘Convolvulaceae Week’ for the current session ended last night! But this afternoon i chanced upon another member of this family what i think is Ipomoea bona-nox L.

It is a big sized flower with equally big leaves. I think the ID is correct because -

1) my copy of “Plant Groups” (by H. Mukherji) describes it as “a large climber with white flowers....”

2) it conforms the words “giant white moonflower” & “vines and climbers” as have been described in http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/#b

3) as i plucked a flower-bud to force open its petals i noticed secretion of “milky juice” and “greenish midpetalline bands” as have been described at http://www.mpbd.info/plants/ipomoea-alba.php

4) But i may be wrong, because there is one similar post at - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/ipomoea$20alba/indiantreepix/0snjTZGmjSQ/7jBkq6TqMS0J that suggests otherwise.

Now, it’s before you to validate the ID.

Species : Ipomoea bona-nox L. ???

Habit : herb, trailer & climber

Habitat : wild, beside ditch

Date : 14-March-2012, 4.50 p.m.

Place : Kamarkundu (Hooghly), WB

(images : 800x600)

flower (forced open)

flower (underside view)

leaf and bud

plant on the ground

plant showing twining characteristic (but without any flower)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Google Docs makes it easy to create, store and share online documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
Logo for Google Docs

Balkar Singh

Mar 14, 2012, 9:33:13 PM3/14/12
to surajit koley (Google Docs), indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Surajit Ji. This member is completely new to me
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Mar 14, 2012, 9:44:19 PM3/14/12
to Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Sir.
I too never noticed it before and there were only two buds in one of those plants. Hope there will be many in coming days.
Thank you and Regards,
Surajit

Tanay Bose

Mar 14, 2012, 10:40:22 PM3/14/12
to surajit koley, Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Its also something new for me!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research & Teaching Assistant.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 14, 2012, 11:12:32 PM3/14/12
to Tanay Bose, surajit koley, Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Surajit ji
Your contributions to the group are really great. Thanks for this interesting upload.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2012, 5:36:43 AM3/15/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, surajit koley, Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
New to me - many thanks for sharing Surajit ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Mar 15, 2012, 2:24:17 PM3/15/12
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

It's my pleasure to share any info i am able to collect on our biodiversity. Today i revisited the place and also surrounding area, found more of this plant. I could collect some more data on it -
1) The stem has 'hook' like structure, attaching a photograph
2) A local person said that it blooms in the evening
3) A housewife from the same place said they sometimes make vegetable dishes out of its buds

Regards,
Surajit
stem_part_0566.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 15, 2012, 2:26:35 PM3/15/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, Balkar Singh
yet another photo of the same plant..
Regards,
Surajit
stem_flower_0543.jpg

Satish Phadke

Mar 16, 2012, 7:07:36 AM3/16/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, Balkar Singh
Completely new to me.
Very interesting Ipomoea.
Especially the corolla which is deeply lobed unlike others.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Mar 16, 2012, 11:01:31 AM3/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice photo series , although generally the current legitimate binomial of Ipomoea alba should be used in place of any synonyms...

Thanks for your contributions

regards,

Ron

2) it conforms the words “giant white moonflower” & “vines and climbers” as have been described in http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/#b - tracked

3) as i plucked a flower-bud to force open its petals i noticed secretion of “milky juice” and “greenish midpetalline bands” as have been described at http://www.mpbd.info/plants/ipomoea-alba.php - tracked

4) But i may be wrong, because there is one similar post at - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/ipomoea$20alba/indiantreepix/0snjTZGmjSQ/7jBkq6TqMS0J - tracked that suggests otherwise.

Date : 14-March-2012, 4.50 p.m.

Place : Kamarkundu (Hooghly), WB

(images : 800x600)

flower (forced open)

flower (underside view)

leaf and bud

plant on the ground

plant showing twining characteristic (but without any flower)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Google Docs makes it easy to create, store and share online documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
Logo for Google Docs - tracked

Ushadi micromini

Mar 16, 2012, 11:49:49 AM3/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, surajit koley (Google Docs)
me too!!!
nice...
good info and pics
usha di
=======

surajit koley

Mar 16, 2012, 9:33:23 PM3/16/12
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, Balkar Singh
Sir,

Good morning.
In the first & second photos i slit open the flower to have a better look inside it. In the last photo (later added) though the flower looks like having deeply lobed corolla. Unless i get some more i won't be able to confirm.

Regards,

Surajit

surajit koley

Mar 16, 2012, 9:36:10 PM3/16/12
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Sir.
I will use the this current legitimate name (I. alba) from now on.
Regards,
Surajit

surajit koley

Mar 16, 2012, 9:38:16 PM3/16/12
to Ushadi micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Madam and thank you.
Regards,
Surajit

surajit koley

Mar 16, 2012, 9:44:58 PM3/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

In one of my previous reply i used the term "hook" for those "prickle" like growth on the stem. But "hook" is not a scientific word in this case for sure.

What will be the correct term?

Regards,

Surajit

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Mar 17, 2012, 7:30:56 AM3/17/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello Surajiy,

      You asked :

"
In one of my previous reply i used the term "hook" for those "prickle" like growth on the stem. But "hook" is not a scientific word in this case for sure.

What will be the correct term?"

I've encountered various terms and none seem to be precise , so they are frequently referred to as soft spine-like protuberances...sometimes encountered on the petiole or main stems of Ipomoea alba but more frequently seen on the closely related night blooming species of Ipomoea muricata.

[...]

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 17, 2012, 11:04:37 AM3/17/12
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think soft prickles or tubercles would be more appropriate and often used for these species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

Mar 17, 2012, 11:42:59 AM3/17/12
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Thank you for taking care of my concern. At the time of posting i failed to find this appropriate description of those 'protuberances'. However, i collected a flower-bud of the same plant this afternoon and kept it in a vase in order to monitor it. Attaching a photograph.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Ron_Convolvulaceae <and...@optonline.net> wrote:
I. alba DSCN0759.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 17, 2012, 11:48:28 AM3/17/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Ron_Convolvulaceae, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Thank you for even more terms. 'Tubercles' is a new word to me.

Attaching another photograph recorded this evening.

Regards,

Surajit
I. alba DSCN0761.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 17, 2012, 11:51:46 AM3/17/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Ron_Convolvulaceae, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Tanay Bose, Balkar Singh, mani nair, Ushadi micromini
I. alba DSCN0762.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 17, 2012, 11:53:22 AM3/17/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Ron_Convolvulaceae, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Tanay Bose, Balkar Singh, mani nair, Ushadi micromini
yet another one...

Regards,

Suajit
I. alba DSCN0763.jpg

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Mar 18, 2012, 9:18:29 PM3/18/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Yes,the literature often uses the term tubercle for these type of protuberances although most definitions of tubercle specifically indicate that a tubercle is round or rounded :

A tubercle or tuberculum. n. In botany, any root of a class embracing both tuberous roots and tubercles: used specifically by Lindley. n

-cle— suffix forming nouns
indicating smallness: cubicle

Tuberculate: An organism or part of an organism which is covered in fleshy and raised protuberances, also called tubercules.

tubercle n. 1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) any small rounded nodule or elevation, esp on the skin, on a bone, or on a plant.
small eminence, or warty outgrowth ;a tuberlike swelling
[C16: from Latin tūberculum  a little swelling, diminutive of tuber ]

and since the protuberances on Ipomoea alba, Ipomoea muricata and Ipomoea parasitica are usually not truly rounded , I have usually opted to call it like it is e.g. a soft-fleshy spine or thorn-like protuberance because the structures in question are usually not rounded.

regards,

Ron
 .

[...]

surajit koley

Mar 19, 2012, 10:15:51 PM3/19/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Sir.

Thank you for explaining all those new terms (to me). It will take
some time to get used to those.

Regards,

surajit

Giby Kuriakose

Mar 22, 2012, 12:19:35 AM3/22/12
to surajit koley (Google Docs), indian...@googlegroups.com
Interesting species.
The flower is nocturnal.
The flower opens in the evening and closes by next morning.

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

surajit koley

Mar 22, 2012, 1:28:38 PM3/22/12
to Giby Kuriakose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Sir, it is nocturnal, and i have watched this by keeping a bud into our flower vase (actually, an empty bottle!). But it couldn't opened up its petals fully. I think it needs a cushion underneath, say, of its own leaves, in order to keep its petals wide open.

Regards,

Surajit