Malvaceae Week: Gutter beauty -Flower for ID - 21Jun11AR01

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2011, 11:35:01 PM9/4/11
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth
This Gutter beauty needs to be uploaded during Malvaceae Week, so I have changed the Subject line to suite our week

Earlier identified as H. cannabinus by H S, and Madhuri ji
Vijayasankar ji suggested......Doesn't it look like Hibiscus radiatus, the red hibiscus??

My comments...........................................The two species really very close, the main difference being that epicalyx sebments are forked in H. radiatus,

not so in H. cannabinus

on that count the above is H. cannabinus

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Sep 4, 2011, 11:51:49 PM9/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, raghu ananth

I think it is Hibiscus acetosella Welw. ex Hiern. Please check.

--
Prabhu Kumar K M
Scientist

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2011, 12:19:51 AM9/5/11
to Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Hibiscus acetosella also has epicalyx forked at tip , not found in this plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2011, 12:34:20 AM9/5/11
to Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Also in acetosella Leaves are tinged red and segments much broader. Each fork of epicalyx has one spoon-shaped and one linear segment, calyx much longer than epicalyx..

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 5, 2011, 11:20:20 AM9/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Dont know the name but Beautiful plant
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

J.M. Garg

Nov 27, 2011, 4:28:15 AM11/27/11
to efloraofindia, prabhum...@gmail.com, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, samad...@gmail.com, ragh...@yahoo.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Hibiscus acetosella also has epicalyx forked at tip , not found in this plant.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“Also in acetosella Leaves are tinged red and segments much broader. Each fork of epicalyx has one spoon-shaped and one linear segment, calyx much longer than epicalyx..
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1740 members & 90,000 messages on 31/10/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6000 species).

DSC_4981.jpg
DSC_4976.jpg
DSC_4979b.jpg
DSC_4981c.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 29, 2011, 8:43:31 AM11/29/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, prabhum...@gmail.com, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, samad...@gmail.com, ragh...@yahoo.com
... most possibly Hibiscus cannabinus (family: Malvaceae).
Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

Nov 29, 2011, 9:52:23 AM11/29/11
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, prabhum...@gmail.com, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, samad...@gmail.com, ragh...@yahoo.com
Dear All,

I also do agree with this being Hibiscus cannabinus, I used to see this in my childhood, when this was frequently cultivatd in our area for its fibres. now this is rare to find in cultivation, at least in our area. Flowers color, is, however, unusually dark here.

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

J.M. Garg

Jul 17, 2013, 4:37:35 AM7/17/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Raghu Ananth, Balkar Singh, Prabhu kumar KM, Nidhan Singh, Dinesh Valke