Rutaceae week: wild Aegle ??? from Hooghly 12-05-12 SK

surajit koley

May 12, 2012, 12:33:42 PM5/12/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Found this small tree in Dhaniakhali today.

Species : Unknown
Habit & Habitat : small tree on roadside, but may grow more, 'Bael' like globose fruit, immature fruit diameter 2.5 cm
Date : 12-05-12, 3.42 p.m.
Place : Dhaniakhali (Hooghly)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

DSCN4095.jpg
DSCN4096.jpg
DSCN4097.jpg
DSCN4098.jpg
DSCN4161.jpg
DSCN4162.jpg
DSCN4173.jpg

Balkar Singh

May 13, 2012, 5:06:02 AM5/13/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
I think it is  Crataeva nurvala Buch. Ham  (Capparidaceae)
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

May 13, 2012, 5:18:38 AM5/13/12
to Balkar Singh, surajit koley, efloraofindia
Yes Crataeva nurvala

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

May 13, 2012, 12:32:19 PM5/13/12
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Balkar Sir for the ID of this plant. The fruits looked too close to Bael! I am very sorry that i placed a wrong entry for Rutaceae week.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 13, 2012, 12:33:01 PM5/13/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Gurcharan Sir. I am ashamed for presenting a wrong species to the Rutaceae week.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

ushadi Micromini

May 13, 2012, 5:33:24 PM5/13/12
to surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Surajit Dont be sorry, why? we all learn from it and I got to see what VARUNA fruit  looks like inside ?
dont worry, be happy

ANd you were not too far off, ancient ayurveda had described it as berry bearing tree with bilva patra like (three leaflet) bearing plant.
Its called VARUNA in ayurvedic literature and is a good stone and crystal remover.... good for cleansing the blood and kidneys

Usha di
======
--
Usha di

surajit koley

May 13, 2012, 9:22:14 PM5/13/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Good morning Usha Di...

I am very happy to learn that it is an important medicinal plant and the Bengali name is very beautiful.

And for the wrong ID, Usha Di, i am not sorry for making mistakes, i do mistakes more than i do a correct one, it is the learning process But i could have done away with prefixing it with 'Rutaceae week'..... i was so sure of it being a Bael, even the resin/gum around the seeds looked like so much of Bael / Koyet-Bel :)

Regards,

surajit