Request for species ID - DKV 111009 DKV 2

Dev Kumar

Oct 11, 2009, 5:07:09 AM10/11/09
to indiantreepix
Request for Species Id
Plant observed growing wild.
Mhow Dist Indore, Madhya Pradesh

regards
Dev Kumar

DSC05072.JPG
DSC05073.JPG
DSC05074.JPG

Prashant awale

Oct 11, 2009, 5:27:57 AM10/11/09
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Dev Kumar ji,
This could be Biophytum sensitivum (Oxalidaceae  family).
best wishes
Prashant

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 11, 2009, 11:38:18 AM10/11/09
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
This is nothing but Biophytum nervifolium not Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC.

Santhosh

2009/10/11 Dev Kumar <dev.kumar...@gmail.com>
--
SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar

Aparna Watve

Oct 11, 2009, 2:13:55 PM10/11/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Can u add a point on how to distinguish between the two?
Thanks in advance
aparna
--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 11, 2009, 11:47:50 PM10/11/09
to Aparna Watve, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Madam,

Biophytum sensitivum has the sepals more or less equal to the petals whereas in B.nervifolium it is just half a way up to the petals. This is one of the easily distinguishable character between these two.

Thanks

Santhosh

2009/10/11 Aparna Watve <aparna...@gmail.com>
Can u add a point on how to distinguish between the two?
Thanks in advance
aparna

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Dr Santhosh Kumar
<drsanth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is nothing but Biophytum nervifolium not Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC.
>
> Santhosh
>
> 2009/10/11 Dev Kumar <dev.kumar...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Request for Species Id
>> Plant observed growing wild.
>> Mhow Dist Indore, Madhya Pradesh
>>
>> regards
>> Dev Kumar
>>

>> --
>> SANTHOSH
>> Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
>> Tropical BOtanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
>> Thiruvananthapuram-695562
>> Kerala
>> India
>> www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
>>

> tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works

Aparna Watve

Oct 11, 2009, 11:56:58 PM10/11/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks so much. Very clear now
Aparna

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Dr Santhosh Kumar
>> --
>> Dr. Aparna Watve
>> Dr. Aparna Watve
>> Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
>> Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
>> Seoni.480661
>> tel: 07692-228115
>> mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works
>

> --
> SANTHOSH
> Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
> Tropical BOtanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
> Thiruvananthapuram-695562
> Kerala
> India
> www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve
Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661

J.M. Garg

Nov 8, 2009, 12:28:44 PM11/8/09
to Aparna Watve, Dr Santhosh Kumar, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Hi, Santhosh ji,
APNI gives Biophytum nervifolium Thwaites (not available in ITIS 2009 check list as well as in GRIN) as syn. of Biophytum sensitivum as per link:

J.M. Garg

Nov 8, 2009, 12:37:39 PM11/8/09
to Aparna Watve, Dr Santhosh Kumar, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Further to complicate the matter, Sh. T.Pullaih book (2006) gives Biophytum sensitivum DC. (not available in ITIS 2009 check list as well as in GRIN) as syn. of Biophytum nervifolium Thwaites:
2009/11/8 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Nov 9, 2009, 5:55:13 AM11/9/09
to J.M. Garg, Aparna Watve, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Garg Ji and all,

One may be surprised and shocked if I say Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC. is not available in India. Carl Linneaus proposed this originally as Oxalis sensitiva and later transferred to Biophytum as B. sensitivum. Biophytum sensitivum has its sepals more or less equal to its petals  in legth whereas B. nervifolium has its sepals reach only half a way upto the petals.

B. nervifolium is originally from Sri Lanka and also distributed in India.

The taxonomy of B.sensitivum is a highly complex one and I have been working on this family for 8 years and one of my recent article communicated will explain the taxonomic complexicity of B. sensitivum in India. In short, B. sensitivum is not occur in India and this complex is having B. veldkampii, B nervifolium, B.poterioides, etc as species.

Thanks

Santhosh