Acacia mearnsii from Ranikhet and Almora pl. validate

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 26, 2012, 4:54:33 AM4/26/12
to efloraofindia
Acacia mearnsii De Wildeman, Pl. Bequaert. 3: 62. 1925.

Medium sized tree with slightly angular stems; leaves gray-pubescent, bipinnate with 6-30 pairs of pinnae; leaflets 10-60 pairs usually shorter than 5 mm and less than 1 mm braod; flowers white in globose heads, 6-9 mm acoss, arranged in large terminal panicles; pod 5-10 cm long, slightly constricted between seeds.

Commonly planted along roadsides in Almora, Ranikhet and Chakauri in April

Please validate the identification.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Apr 26, 2012, 5:40:54 AM4/26/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji ... to me does look like Acacia mearnsii (my sightings at Shimla and Ooty)
Let us also wait for more validating comment(s).

Description (from PIER): "Unarmed, evergreen tree 5-10 (-15) m high; branchlets shallowly ridged; all parts finely hairy; growth tips golden-hairy. Leaves: Dark olive-green, finely hairy, bipinnate; leaflets short (1.5-4 mm) and crowded; raised glands occur at and between the junctions of pinnae pairs. Flowers: Pale yellow or cream, globular flowerheads in large, fragrant sprays. Fruits: Dark brown pods, finely hairy, usually markedly constricted" (Henderson, 1995; p. 55).

Regards.
Dinesh

Mahadeswara

Apr 27, 2012, 10:07:21 AM4/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke
Dear sir,
At the outset the set of photographs are very beautiful.
A.mearnsii is cultivated on large scale  as a  plantation crop  in  Ooty ( 5000 ft) for commercial purpose for extracting the tannins   known as wattle extract  (tanners' gold) from the bark for tanning hides and skins.  Wattle extracting factory is located on the foot hills of Ooty in Mettupalayam town.  I have worked on the photochemical aspects of the bark/extract etc.  long back. I am unable to locate the old printed photographs. At that time the digital  photography was non- existent in India. The tree looks like one.  Nevertheless,  Mr. B. Sabapathi ji, our group member from Coimbatore  may  be able to throw more light on this species now.
Regards,
M.Swamy