Fabaceae new ID from Hooghly 1/10/12 sk

surajit koley

Oct 1, 2012, 11:13:38 AM10/1/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Attaching images of another herb, seems to be cultivated annual.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : about 6.5 feet or more, slim without branches, very likely to be a cultivated species
Date & Place : 01-Oct-2012, Gobra (Hooghly)

Thank you and Regards,

surajit

Sesbania1_DSCN3015.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3043.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3044.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3049.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3104.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3105.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3106.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3107.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3108.jpg
Sesbania1_VSCN3070.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3017.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3022.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3023.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3026.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3027.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3030.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3036.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3037.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2012, 12:20:58 PM10/1/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Flowers remind of S. bispinosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

Oct 1, 2012, 2:16:46 PM10/1/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, Sir, Flowers are very much like S, bispinosa and there are a number of posts in the group. Will check for spines.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Oct 5, 2012, 2:48:35 PM10/5/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

There is no prickle like growth that can be seen in other efI posts of S. bispinosa plant, i have checked a number of individuals thoroughly.
I attach more flower pics.

Thank you.
Regards,
surajit
Sesbania_3oct12_01.jpg
Sesbania_3oct12_02.jpg
Sesbania_3oct12_03.jpg
Sesbania_3oct12_04.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 5, 2012, 4:59:32 PM10/5/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
I can see both yellow and mottled flowers. The standard is again broader than long. What about S. cannabina?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

Oct 5, 2012, 9:58:06 PM10/5/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Good morning Sir,

I also think this is Sesbania cannabina cultivar.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Oct 6, 2012, 12:25:15 PM10/6/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

Attaching more images of this species, recorded this morning. It is cultivated, the owner appointed a daily labourer today in order to harvest the crop. I have been told (by the labourer) that this is DHONCHE plant and the plant is also used as a cattle feed (probably chopped and boiled). Uses of Sesbania can be seen at - http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd21/5/anit21067.htm and at - http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?33763#uses.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
flower.jpg
flower2.jpg
immature_seeds.jpg
mature_leaflet.jpg
young_leaflet.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2017, 3:16:50 AM4/22/17
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
I think it should be Sesbania sesban (L.) Merr. based on the keys in Flora of China

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Sesbania1_DSCN3015.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3043.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3044.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3049.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3104.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3105.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3106.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3107.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3108.jpg
Sesbania1_VSCN3070.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3017.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3022.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3023.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3026.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3027.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3030.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3036.jpg
Sesbania1_DSCN3037.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2017, 5:44:54 AM4/22/17
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Sorry, it should be I think it should be only based on the keys in Flora of China

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2017, 5:47:28 AM4/22/17
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Sorry, it should be I think it should be Sesbania cannabina (Retz.) Pers. only based on the keys in Flora of China