MS,June,2015/01 Poaceae

M Sawmliana

Jun 21, 2015, 9:20:54 PM6/21/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location : Mamit, Mizoram
Date : Unknown
Habit : Erect,graceful bamboo, 10-13 m.tall, 2.5-4.5 cm. diameter
Altitude : 80-1,500 m.
Habiat : Wild in the forests

With regards,
M.Sawmliana
Bambusa khasiana(Raw-te).jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 28, 2015, 4:12:36 AM6/28/15
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Hi, Sawmliana ji.
Is it for Id or is it confirmed as Bambusa khasiana ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Jun 28, 2015, 1:41:56 PM6/28/15
to efloraofindia

Jul 2, 2015, 4:42:22 AM7/2/15
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

Jul 2, 2015, 12:27:20 PM7/2/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Well, I have seen this thread earlier, but the booklet (on ngrasses and Bambusa) I have doesn't feature this species.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

J.M. Garg

Jul 8, 2015, 2:15:09 AM7/8/15
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

Jul 8, 2015, 2:59:37 AM7/8/15
to efloraofindia
This bamboo is to be identified/confirmed

J.M. Garg

Jul 8, 2015, 3:34:44 AM7/8/15
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks, Santanu ji.

to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
It looks like Gigantochloa apus

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

surajit koley

Jul 14, 2015, 1:37:43 PM7/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Dear Sawmliana Ji,

Here is a species list distributed in your region - http://www.bambootech.org/subsubTOP.asp?subsubid=105&subid=37&sname=STATE

I think you have two probabilities 1) Schizostachyum polymorphum and 2) Melocanna baccifera.(note FoC description and illustration of http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=250071023)

"White powdery ring below node" in your plate is a character of  Pseudostachyum polymorphum. Two links of images from the genus -

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

surajit koley

Jul 15, 2015, 1:04:25 PM7/15/15
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Thank you so much Sawmliana Ji for the feedback.

Yes, I was wrong assuming it to be Schizostachyum polymorphum. It is not. I further missed your state, correct link would be http://www.bambootech.org/subsubTOP.asp?subsubid=103&subid=37&sname=STATE

So, you have zeroed in to two species -1) Schizostachyum manii and 2) Bambusa khasiana.

I am not sure if Schizostachyum manii is a synonym of Racemobamboos mannii (nothing found on this taxon).
However, your Govt. website does list the taxon http://forest.mizoram.gov.in/page/bamboo-resources-in-mizoram.html.
But, the taxon is "wrongly assigned" & should be a Bambusa sp. as per the 'paper' - http://docs.kfri.res.in/KFRI-RR/KFRI-RR330.pdf.
Even, if it is the same taxon of FoC's Phyllostachys mannii your species is not likely the same.

We do not have much on Bambusa khasiana except the attached FBI description, KEW description and illustration. The ID seems to me to be possible. Can you please share some daylight photographs of new shoots and nodes of mature culm....

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:24 AM, M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Schizostachyum manii or Bambusa khasiana ?

surajit koley

Jul 15, 2015, 1:12:33 PM7/15/15
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Missed ..... here is the FBI description

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Bambusa_khasiana_Fl_Br_Ind.jpg

M Sawmliana

Jul 15, 2015, 1:31:22 PM7/15/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Sir, Thank you so much sir surat koley ji for good information and attaching herewith another shoot, etc. (M.Sawmliana)
Raw-te (2).JPG
Raw-te (5).JPG
Raw-te (8).JPG
Raw-te (9).JPG

surajit koley

Jul 15, 2015, 2:31:30 PM7/15/15
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Well, Swamliana Ji, what I wanted to see I do not find in the attached pictures -
  1. a bluish ring above the node (I can see the whitish ring below the node though)
  2. head (apex) of the new shoot looks different than the illustration in Gamble (what i noted in earlier plate too)
I checked probability of Gigantochloa as suggested by Pudji Ji, you have one species there G. albociliata, (host http://www.bioversityinternational.org/fileadmin/bioversity/publications/Web_version/572/ch17.htm) but it looks different (more pics - http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowBambooPictures2.php?BooID=190&Desc=&Loc=&Match=190&Cat=*&Genus=*&s=4).

FBI has two species, from the region, with stem sheath featuring very long or narrow blade - B. pallida and B. khasiana. The foermer one is like B. tulda I have uploaded recently. I can only hope your ID is correct.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of