grass Paspalum sp.? from Hooghly

surajit koley

Jun 17, 2012, 1:55:13 PM6/17/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

I searched the net for the ID of this grass. Used "paired raceme" in search string, don't know if that term is correct or not. Results are -
Now, i attach pics of a grass that might be Paspalum conjugatum. Or is it some other entirely different species?

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : wild grass, about two feet high, beside a pond, damp place (?)
Date : 16/6/12, 11.40 a.m.
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

DSCN5761.jpg
DSCN5762.jpg
DSCN5763.jpg
DSCN5764.jpg

jmgarg1

Jun 24, 2012, 2:37:58 AM6/24/12
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s, surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1870 members & 1,18,000 messages on 31/5/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6500 species).

DSCN5761.jpg
DSCN5762.jpg
DSCN5763.jpg
DSCN5764.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 24, 2012, 3:32:48 AM6/24/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s
Thank you Garg Sir, once again for taking care of this post too.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jun 25, 2012, 3:17:23 PM6/25/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, ravig...@rediffmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s
Sir,

More images of the same grass, recorded today (25-June-2012).

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

DSCN6090.jpg
DSCN6092.jpg
Paspalum_sp_DSCN6087.jpg
Paspalum_sp_DSCN6094.jpg
Paspalum_sp_DSCN6095.jpg

jmgarg1

Jul 3, 2012, 4:26:01 AM7/3/12
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s, surajit koley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Paspalum conjugatum - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=124125#KEY-1-5
description of the above - http://www.hear.org/pier/species/paspalum_conjugatum.htm
finds its mention in West Bengal - http://ozelacademy.com/OJAS_v3n1_4.pdf
a pic of the above grass- http://floridagrasses.org/Paspalum%20conjugatum.htm
pics of some other Paspalum sp. - http://www.namethatplant.net/gallery_glossary.shtml?term=spike

Date : 16/6/12, 11.40 a.m.

Place : Hooghly” from Surajit ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1900 members & 1,20,700 messages on 30/6/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7000 species).
DSCN6090.jpg
DSCN6092.jpg
Paspalum_sp_DSCN6087.jpg
Paspalum_sp_DSCN6094.jpg
Paspalum_sp_DSCN6095.jpg

surajit koley

Jul 3, 2012, 2:03:38 PM7/3/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s
Dear All Respected Members,

According to "Diversity of Grass flora in West Bengal....", available at - http://kuedu.academia.edu/ProfSobhanKrMukherjee/Papers/978575/DIVERSITY_OF_GRASS_FLORA_OF_WEST_BENGAL_INDIA_WITH_SPECIAL_REFERENCE_TO_THEIR_UTILITY, there are 6 Paspalum species in West Bengal. Of these six species we can reject 3 species as those can be found in hilly area.

Remaining three species are -
Other characteristics available in the flora of China and flora of Taiwan suggest that this species is Paspalum conjugatum Berg.

Thank you Garg Sir, Thank you All

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jul 17, 2012, 1:40:12 PM7/17/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s
Sir,

I took a herbarium of this grass too to BSI Shibpur today. It has been identified as Paspalum conjugatum, though authentication could not be done with seal & signature because i didn't maintain proper protocol.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jul 24, 2012, 12:41:25 PM7/24/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Thank you very much for validating the ID of this grass. I am grateful to you for elaborating on the ID keys to other Paspalum species.

I will try to keep it up.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM, manoj chandran <mach...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Surajit
Of course, it is Paspalum conjugatum, a beautiful grass never can be mistaken with these slender paired racemes with tiny spikelets. The other two species you shortlisted have larger spikelets and shorter racemes. P.scrobiculatum sometimes have  more than two racemes with round spikelets and the racemes hardly come out completely out of the leaf sheath. P.distichum has two stiff racemes, usually in a V-shape and the spikelets are oval. I liked the way you identified the species. Keep it up!
Regards...
Manoj Chandran