The Tamala - Garcinia xanthochymus

Subrata Mahapatra

May 6, 2012, 2:37:22 AM5/6/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
  1. The long search for the Tamala - the most famous but the least known tree - has ended. Famous because it is glorified by celebrated poets of sixth century, Kalidasa, down to twentieth century poet Tagore. For devotees of Krishna this is sacred as it epitomizes the divine personality. Such a famous tree is not known to anybody whom i come across.
Recently i have seen this tree in the Indian Botanic Garden, Howrah, quite comfortably thanks to the courtesy of the Director, Dr. Debnath. I am attaching a few photos of the tree and its parts provided by Basant K. Singh.
I am adding a synopsis of the long investigation extended to five years. If any one is interested he or she may read the following :-
It all started in a get-together. A friend was reading the Gospels of Sri Ramakrishna (Kathamrita). Tamala was mentioned in the text. I asked my friends-' do you know Tamala'. Nobody knows. The hostess took out a dictionary and found the name - 'it is a tree similar to Gaab' [Eng.Gaub persimon - Diospyros peregrina] The search for Tamala began. In a reciprocal request i urged Garg ji to help me. He put a notice. Information poured in from many, in particular from Dr Pankaj Oudhia.All these boil down to Cinnamomum tamala. Its leaf called Tejpata is daily used in culinary preparation. Interestingly in Gujrati it is called 'tamal patra'. This tree grows wild in tropical and subtropical Himalayas, Khasi and Jaintia hills.
Ayurvedacharya Shibkali Bhattacharya is an authority on plants. He specified Tamala is Garcinia xanthochymus(syn. G. tinctoria). Sometime back i brought this to the notice of our group members. Its Sanskrit, Hindi, and Bengali name is Tamala, Eng.name Sour mangosteen,false mangosteen, Gambose.   Sanskrit , Hindi or Bengali namesake may also refer to other species or genus viz. G. morella, Cinnamomum tamala, Diospyros montana.
 The sacred Tamala of Vrindavan is yet to be conclusively identified. George Harrison and Srila Prabhupada wrote some fifty pages on Tamal and Vrindavan. They say 'Radaharani in separation was embracing the Tamala tree. - - And they say that in Vrindavan only there are four trees left.' It is possible. Since the time of Sri Chaitanya pilgrims from different parts took a plant on their return.One Swami of Belur Math brought a plant from vrindavan some thirty years back.I took a twig and put it before the members. Experts say it belongs to Diospyros montana. Interestingly its Sanskrit name is Tamala. Since the fruit or flower of this particular tree not seen a conclusion could not be arrived at.
Garcinia xanthochymus-Tamala tree.JPG
TAMALA fruits.JPG
Tamal twigs and leaves.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

May 6, 2012, 3:41:58 AM5/6/12
to Subrata Mahapatra, efloraofindia
Thanks for reopening the thread. Few months back I received Sanskrit Pandulipi (Manuscript) from Krishna Devotee of Nepal which describes Tam, Tamal, Tamala, Tamalini, Tamalak, Tamal Patra, Tamali with different Shlokas. From reading it, it seems that neither Garcinia nor Diospyros is suitable candidate for it. Sacred Tamala was once used in Yagyas specially Soma Yagyas. And also in Yagyas for Healing.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

May 6, 2012, 3:51:37 AM5/6/12
to Subrata Mahapatra, efloraofindia
In continuation of previous post.

Bhartendu Harishchandra has written about Tamal Tree

तरनि तनूजा तट तमाल तरुवर बहु छाए।
झुके कूल सों जल परसन हित मनहु सुहाए।

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

J.M. Garg

Apr 27, 2015, 11:04:39 PM4/27/15
to efloraofindia, Subrata Mahapatra, Bimal Sar kar
Thanks, Bimal ji.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:05:44 PM4/27/15
to efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar, Subrata Mahapatra
Thanks, Mahapatra ji.

greenearth

Apr 5, 2016, 1:51:16 PM4/5/16
to efloraofindia, Bima...@gmail.com, sub.ma...@gmail.com
I came across this  interesting thread which  highlights  and was struck by how relevant this discussion is to modern situation also.
What's in a name ?  Plenty of course, since the id is coded into the binomial.
In ancient literature quite often same or similar names were used ( in different context) for different plants: Thus

From published name lists  on IBIN   and from the Sanskrit
 TamAla   तमाल   Garcinia xanthoxylum and G.morella . : ( as concluded by Mahapatra-ji)
   Kalaskandha  कालस्कन्ध   : Diospyros melano.: &/  OR Ficus glomeratus
or
तमालपत्त्रCinnamomum tamal:

तमालपत्त्र :  Leaf of C.tamala or G.xanthochymus/morella

The id of the plant/twig brought by Swami by Mahapatra-ji has been identified as Diospyros sp.