Plant for id PICT0005

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 10, 2009, 10:48:35 PM2/10/09
to wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Friends
This plant is again from Tiwai Hill is a sturdy climber ( Liana?) found climbing on a Palash tree. Flowering from Feb onwards.Request id
thanks and best wishes
geetha

Asclepidaceae PICT0005 mar 05.jpg
Asclepidaceae PICT0006 mar 05.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 10, 2009, 11:51:35 PM2/10/09
to Padmanabhan Geetha, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
... Dregea volubilis (syn. Wattakaka volubilis), commonly known as: cotton milk plant, green milkweed climber, green wax flower, sneezing silk

In Malayalam, I found it being known as velipparuthi; correct me if it is not ... I request you to provide it in native script.
Regards.

Stephen A

Feb 11, 2009, 12:57:07 AM2/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
Velipparuthi is Pergularia daemia.

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

Dinesh Valke

Feb 11, 2009, 1:30:58 AM2/11/09
to Stephen A, Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
response to Stephen ji
... then it could be a generic name shared by more than one species.
Regards.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Padmanabhan Geetha <iye...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Friends
This plant is again from Tiwai Hill is a sturdy climber ( Liana?) found climbing on a Palash tree. Flowering from Feb onwards.Request id
thanks and best wishes
geetha

Stephen A

Feb 11, 2009, 1:39:25 AM2/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Dinesh Ji,
Dregea volubilis is
vattakkakkakkoti, wattakakacodi in Malayalam
whereas Pergularia daemia is
velipparutti in malayalam & Tamil
But you can refer these sites.
http://envis.frlht.org.in/botanical_search.php?txtbtname=dre&gesp=852|Dregea+volubilis+(L.F.)+BENTH.+EX.HOOK.F.
http://envis.frlht.org.in/botanical_search.php?txtbtname=pergularia&gesp=1617|Pergularia+daemia+(FORSK.)+CHOIV.

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü

Dinesh Valke

Feb 11, 2009, 2:02:53 AM2/11/09
to Stephen A, Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
... that was fantastic validation, Stephen ji !! Many thanks.
I will make corrections in my notes.

MEDICINAL PLANTS ... KERALA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY ... Aromatic and Medicinal Plants Research Station

Dinesh Valke

Feb 11, 2009, 2:18:41 AM2/11/09
to Stephen A, Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
And Stephen ji, while we are discussing the common name, is it that the genus name Wattakaka is derived from Malayalam or is it the other way round ?
Thanks and regards.

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 11, 2009, 3:40:36 AM2/11/09
to Stephen A, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Stephan and Dinesh

Thank you for the information and clarifications.
warm wishes
geetha

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 11, 2009, 3:41:58 AM2/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
Thank you, does this cause sneezing of any kind?
geetha

satish phadke

Feb 11, 2009, 9:57:39 AM2/11/09
to Padmanabhan Geetha, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
You are right. The flowers are typical of Asclepiadaceae. You had earlier posted the pods ....now the flowers of Wattakaka volubilis.
Satish

2009/2/11 Padmanabhan Geetha <iye...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 11, 2009, 10:49:39 PM2/11/09
to satish phadke, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Satish ji
Yes that's right, while posting those imges i had left these out and then i checked back and found out the same. However i wanted the experts to confirm.Thank you so much.
best wishes
geetha