Saxifraga parnassifolia ABJUL01/12

Ashwini Bhatia

Jul 8, 2016, 10:58:50 AM7/8/16
to efloraofindia
While looking for an old photograph in my backup hard disk, I came across a few plants I had photographed in 2014 and never edited them. I will share them in separate emails for your advice. This one, I think, is the Himalayan Saxifrage. I will look out for it this year for better photographs. Please advise.

Saxifraga parnassifolia—Himalayan Saxifrage
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1900m
31 August, 2014.

Thanks.
Ashwini

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 8, 2016, 11:44:34 AM7/8/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
I think yes. Ignore/crop twig on the right which may cause confusion.

Better photos at

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Ashwini Bhatia

Jul 8, 2016, 12:15:14 PM7/8/16
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
You are right Dr Singh. These are again from 2014 when I did not know better. I hope to find these again to photograph them properly this time.

Could the leaves on the right be of Oplismenus compositus?

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
While looking for an old photograph in my backup hard disk, I came across a few plants I had photographed in 2014 and never edited them. I will share them in separate emails for your advice. This one, I think, is the Himalayan Saxifrage. I will look out for it this year for better photographs. Please advise.

Saxifraga parnassifolia—Himalayan Saxifrage
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1900m
31 August, 2014.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_7327_31Aug2014.jpg><_MG_7330_31Aug2014.jpg><_MG_7331_31Aug2014.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Jul 8, 2016, 11:59:02 PM7/8/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Lovely, Ashwini ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Ashwini Bhatia

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 25, 2016, 12:05:06 AM8/25/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
These beautiful golden yellow flowers are plentiful at higher slopes. I am sharing some photos here.

Saxifraga parnassifolia

Thanks.
Ashwini

On 9 Jul 2016, at 09:28, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Lovely, Ashwini ji.

On 8 July 2016 at 20:27, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
While looking for an old photograph in my backup hard disk, I came across a few plants I had photographed in 2014 and never edited them. I will share them in separate emails for your advice. This one, I think, is the Himalayan Saxifrage. I will look out for it this year for better photographs. Please advise.

Saxifraga parnassifolia—Himalayan Saxifrage
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1900m
31 August, 2014.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_7327_31Aug2014.jpg><_MG_7330_31Aug2014.jpg><_MG_7331_31Aug2014.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Nidhan Singh

Aug 29, 2016, 7:29:57 AM8/29/16
to J.M. Garg, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Excellent shots Ashwini Ji....!!

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 29, 2016, 9:08:51 AM8/29/16
to Nidhan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you once again Nidhan Singh ji.

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Nov 20, 2016, 2:46:27 PM11/20/16
to efloraofindia
You are correct, this is Saxifraga parnassifolia. So you have photographed this and S.moorcroftiana (from a higher elevation) in HP.  In addition to the differences between this and S.moorcroftiana given in 'Flowers of the Himalaya', the assorted images of both species posted on this site and my own images of S.moorcroftiana have shown clear differences.  S.parnassifolia has more rounded /circular petals with 2 noticeable 'appendages' at the base of petals. S.moorcroftiana does not have the appendages but typically markings on the interior of the petals which are narrower, a markedly different shape.

Both species are recorded for this region.  Other than that, I think, given that not only has there been confusion between the two species historically, that has continued to this day, as shown by the postings on this site, quoting what the floras and references have to say is pointless.  I feel I have built up the better understanding - thanks to viewing plants in the wild and the other images seen thanks to eFI.  This is superior to pressed specimens alone in herbaria.....

I think in light of your images and my better understanding of the differences between the two species, ALL previous records of both species need reviewing in herbaria and their distribution, altitudinally and geographically needs reviewing.

A clear lesson that one needs to check.  I could have assumed all the postings for S.parnassifolia were correct because the first ones were (and the last, this one) but others turned out to be S.moorcroftiana.

The images posted by yourself and others on eFI have been informative to complement characteristics observed on herbarium specimens - which is the future, to combine digital photos, living specimens in cultivation of known provenance and traditional pressed specimens.

J.M. Garg

Nov 20, 2016, 11:26:13 PM11/20/16
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

Thanks, Chadwell ji