Fwd: Viola sp for identification ? Yazali,Arunachal Pradesh 23.3.16

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2017, 7:26:33 AM4/5/17
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: dipankar borah <dipankar...@gmail.com>
Date: 5 April 2017 at 16:33
Subject: Viola sp for identification ? Yazali,Arunachal Pradesh 23.3.16
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

DSC08605.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2017, 7:26:46 AM4/5/17
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah
DSC08616.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2017, 7:27:10 AM4/5/17
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah
DSC08618.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2017, 3:51:47 AM4/13/17
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Viola species in eFloraofindia with comparative images (also with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available on net)

DSC08605.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 18, 2017, 5:34:08 AM4/18/17
to Samiran Panday, efloraofindia, dipankar borah
Thanks, Samiran ji

On 18 Apr 2017 1:46 p.m., "Samiran Panday" <sam...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it is Viola pilosa..

--
*Samiran Panday*
Research Scholar

J.M. Garg

Apr 23, 2017, 11:00:24 AM4/23/17
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah
Mar 20, 2020, 3:52:41 AM3/20/20
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah, samicnh
I think it is not Viola pilosa Blume as per images and details herein.
It is something else.

Mar 21, 2020, 1:01:10 AM3/21/20
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah, samicnh
Hi, Dipankar ji,
Do you know what are the species reported from your area ?

J.M. Garg

Mar 22, 2020, 10:56:49 PM3/22/20
to Kanhaiya Lal Chaudhary, efloraofindia, dipankar borah
Thanks, Kanhaiya Lal ji.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 20:55, Kanhaiya Lal Chaudhary <klchau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would probably rule out Viola pilosa & Viola sikkimensis. Leaves are hairy here. Haven't come across this spp.
Regards

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2020, 3:49:46 AM4/10/20
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah, samicnh
I checked with lot of other species mentioned in flora of Bhutan which are reported from East Himalayas like V. paravaginata, V. cameleo Boissieu, V. placida Becker, V. sikkimensis Becker and V. thomsonii Oudemans (which are not already available in our database as per comparative images at ‎Viola‎), but I could not find a match.

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2020, 4:02:51 AM4/10/20
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah, samicnh
This is most likely to be Viola canescens as per comparative images at ‎Viola

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2020, 8:20:47 AM4/10/20
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2020, 8:21:03 AM4/10/20
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia

Ashwini Bhatia

Apr 10, 2020, 8:36:17 AM4/10/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I will definitely try, but not sure if I can reach an ID. I will report back.

Thanks.
Ashwini

On 10-Apr-2020, at 5:50 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Ashwini ji,
May I request you to pl. have a look at this.

Apr 10, 2020, 9:15:30 AM4/10/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
The only clearly visible characters are the winged petioles, hair on the leaves, purple flowers with slightly hairy sepals.

Can Dipankar ji confirm if there was a spur or not? If there was a short spur, one could look at Viola diffusa. If not, then I am not sure. The only spurless species mentioned in FOC is Viola hederacea which is native to Australia.

I am attaching a pdf from Flora of China for further reference.

Thanks.
Ashwini

Viola.pdf

Dipankar Borah

Apr 10, 2020, 9:34:50 AM4/10/20
to efloraofindia
Dear Ashwini ji and Garg ji,
Thank you for the identification. I totally agree with the observations of the characters by Ashwini Ji (the only clearly visible characters are the winged petioles, hairs on the leaves, purple flowers with slightly hairy sepals.) The time I took these photos, I was not sure what to look at. With the pictures I have, I too think it is V.diffusa. It might have a short spur quite not visible here, though you can get a hint in the image I am attaching here.

With kindest regards
Dipankar

V. diffusa 01.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2020, 10:14:12 AM4/10/20
to efloraofindia, dipankar borah, Ashwini Bhatia
Thanks, Ashwini ji and Dipankar ji.
Very important feedback and inputs.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

V. diffusa 01.jpg

Ashwini Bhatia

Apr 10, 2020, 10:20:00 AM4/10/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dipankar borah
Thank you Dipankar ji for the additional image. I agree with you that your viola is likely to be V. diffusa. But violas are very deceptive and we may learn it is an entirely different species.

If you happen to visit the area anytime in the near future, you can always have a relook.

Warm regards,
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2020, 11:20:23 AM4/10/20
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia, dipankar borah
I also agree.
I am surprised how I missed it with good observations already in efi site at Viola diffusa

Tabish

Apr 11, 2020, 5:55:20 AM4/11/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dipankar borah, samicnh
It should be Viola diffusa, with prominently winged leaf-stalks.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2020, 6:57:06 AM4/11/20
to Tabish, efloraofindia, dipankar borah, samicnh
Thanks, Tabish ji.
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).