can anyone plz id this flowering plant?

Sapna patil

Mar 27, 2015, 1:20:40 AM3/27/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
photo taken in MUMBAI, on 21st March 2015, whole plant had bloomed in plenty. I think it is Gardenia jasminoids but I am confused with the variety... am i correct?.. plz help.

Regards
Sapna Patil
WP_20150322_06_55_16_Pro.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 30, 2015, 8:59:06 AM3/30/15
to efloraofindia, Sapna patil

Some earlier relevant feedback:

efi page on Gardenia jasminoides

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

WP_20150322_06_55_16_Pro.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 30, 2015, 12:08:13 PM3/30/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sapna patil
Yes, this is what I know as Gardenia jasminoides J.Ellis, leaves and flowers are variable across cultivars. Variation has been noted in FoC and flower form can be seen at http://plantillustrations.org/species.php?id_species=453475.

Thank you
Regards

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2015, 12:11:24 PM3/30/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sapna patil
Gardenia jasminoides to me too.
Regards.
Dinesh

Sapna patil

Apr 2, 2015, 2:33:35 AM4/2/15
to Dinesh Valke, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thankyou all for confirming the id. One more query., In India do we see fruiting in these plants as in China?

Best regards
Sapna Pati.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 2, 2015, 2:49:20 AM4/2/15
to Sapna patil, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Not yet fortunate to see the fruits.
Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Apr 2, 2015, 9:07:26 AM4/2/15
to Dinesh Valke, Sapna patil, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I too didn't see any fruit, and these are common here. Similarly, I have never seen any Jasminum sambac fruit. We have both the species for years. One common example is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, capsules are there in literature, but I think one can hardly have seen those capsules. One my much younger friend, who did his M.Sc. in Botany from CU told me that those china-roses do produce capsules under controlled cultivation. I think decades of propagation by cutting and grafting have made this cultivars reluctant to bear the pain of producing fruits!

Thank you
Regards
surajit