Holly?/ABMAR19

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 18, 2015, 9:01:48 AM3/18/15
to efloraofindia
I had photographed another similar plant a while ago intending to share but could not do so. Yesterday I found another specimen near the town and photographed it. It looks like a European Holly. I am not sure what it is though. Please advise.

Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
750m

Thanks.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2015, 2:26:51 AM3/23/15
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

 ‎Ilex‎ species so far in efi

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2015, 3:34:30 AM3/23/15
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Thanks, Varun ji.
Mar 23, 2015, 4:03:34 AM3/23/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
To me it looks like Ilex dipyrena from the structure of leaves.

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2015, 6:22:25 AM3/23/15
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Thanks, Navendu ji.
Mar 23, 2015, 10:42:06 PM3/23/15
to efloraofindia, RR Pappadi, Ashwini Bhatia
Thanks, Pappadi ji.
Mar 23, 2015, 11:13:17 PM3/23/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Narain Singh Chauhan, rrpa...@gmail.com
Thank you Varun ji. I also suspect it to be closer to Ilex aquifolium but is it found in India in the wild? The other option suggestion by Dr Chauhan is Ilex dipyrena but the leaves in my sample seem harder and more pointed than the pictures of I. dipyrena on the internet. But pictures are not the best judge and I could be looking at I. dipyrena.

Thank you Navendu ji and Pappadi ji for your advise.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

Thanks, Varun ji.

<image001.jpg><image002.jpg>

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Narain Singh Chauhan

Mar 24, 2015, 3:51:08 AM3/24/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rrpa...@gmail.com
Pictures from internet can not  always tell  you the true story. Since you have access to the original specimen , that too live in the vicinity of Dharamsala,you can very well compare with description given in Flora Simlensis by Collet .

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 24, 2015, 9:43:43 AM3/24/15
to Narain Singh Chauhan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rrpa...@gmail.com
I agree with you completely Dr Chauhan and I will do as you advised.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

Ashwini Bhatia

Mar 30, 2015, 12:33:33 PM3/30/15
to Narain Singh Chauhan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rrpa...@gmail.com
Dear Dr Chauhan,
I finally got my copy of the Flora Simlensis today and I took it to the actual plant. I am not certain if I can say with confidence that I can now identify it correctly. The spikes on my sample are very hard and raised (please see the profile picture). I agree with you that since this is found here at this altitude, it most likely is Ilex dipyrena. If I am correct it should soon be flowering and we can get a better idea then. My sample is young and small and may not flower but I will search again.

Thanks.
Ashwini

Narain Singh Chauhan

Apr 1, 2015, 12:55:35 PM4/1/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rrpa...@gmail.com
Dear Ashwani Bhatia,
You will find the tree in flowering stage in the forests around and above Dharamsala. It can alsoi be found easily while moving around Dalhousie.

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 1, 2015, 11:25:13 PM4/1/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Ashwini where in the world did you buy this old book from

available now?

usha di

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:

--
Usha di

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 2, 2015, 12:07:22 AM4/2/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I just found it on amazon.com

wonderful

usha di
--