QUERY: Leucas: lavandulifolia AND lavandulaefolia

Dinesh Valke

Jan 21, 2012, 5:12:53 AM1/21/12
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Is Leucas lavandulaefolia Rees. synonym of Leucas lavandulifolia Sm. ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 21, 2012, 5:40:59 AM1/21/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
The author of binomial is Sm. and not Rees. (Please let me know where you found Rees; Rees was author of Publication (Encyclopedia-Cycl.) where this species was published.

as for as -ae and -i are concerned, the recent ruling of code requires that 'ae' in the epithet should be changed  to 'i' routinely.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Jan 21, 2012, 6:38:44 AM1/21/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for resolving my query.

I remember about the ae to i ruling that you had clarified earlier.
The query arose in my mind when no mention of Rees. is found in The Plants List and NPGS/GRIN.

There are quite many results found on searching "Leucas lavandulaefolia Rees." in Google, especially reflect in pharmacological whitepapers at reputed sites.
Tropicos too seems to show it ... http://tropicos.org/Name/17600129

Rees. also finds an entry in two reference books:
1) Indian Medicinal Plants - An illustrated dictionary - by C P Khare
2) The Useful Plants of India - NISCAIR

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 21, 2012, 8:11:11 AM1/21/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
The Plant List entry of this species on clicking TROPICOS below leads to this entry

The reason that author of publication is Rees, and Smith the author of this binomial published in former'r publication must have led to this confusion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Jan 21, 2012, 8:22:09 AM1/21/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Many many thanks Gurcharan ji for resolving my query.
Regards.
Dinesh