efloraofindia:''For Id 12102011MR1’’ shrub with red bottle brush like flower Pune

Madhuri Raut

Oct 12, 2011, 12:31:18 AM10/12/11
to efloraofindia

Request for identification

Date/Time-Sep 2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Pune

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Private garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Shrub

Height/Length- about 4 ft

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-green

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- red bottle brush like flower

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- not seen

Regards

Bhagyashri

260920111979.jpg
260920111980.jpg
260920111976.jpg
260920111977.jpg
260920111978.jpg

Bhatt Sweta

Oct 12, 2011, 12:37:53 AM10/12/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Looks like Acalypha hispida
--
Bhatt Shweta
Doctoral Research Student,

hari lal

Oct 12, 2011, 12:45:26 AM10/12/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Acalypha hispida
Common Names: chenille plant, red-hot cattail, foxtail, red-hot cat's tail
Family: Euphorbiaceae (spurge Family)
Wallpaper Gallery (2 images)    ShareThis

Shrub  Can be Grown in Containers Grows Well Indoors. Has evergreen foliage Flowers

chenille plant
You might be able to guess why the chenille plant is also called red hot cat-tails! Click to download a large version (800x600) of this image.
Description
Chenille plant is an erect, sparsely branched shrub that can get 6-12 ft (1.8-3.7 m) high with a spread of 3-6 ft (0.9-1.8 m). Potted plants are kept considerably smaller. The evergreen leaves are oval, 4-9 in (10-23 cm) long, 3-4 in (7.6-10 cm) wide, and pointed on the tips. Chenille plant is dioecious, meaning that the staminate (male) and pistillate (female) flowers are on separate plants. The pistillate flowers are purple, bright red or crimson, and clustered in velvety catkins, 8-20 in (20-51 cm) long and an inch in diameter. They are dense and fluffy, like a cat's tail, and they appear intermittently throughout the whole year as long as conditions are favorable. The cultivar, 'Alba' has creamy-white catkins.

Location
Chenille plant is native to New Guinea, the Malay Archipelago and other islands in the East Indies.

Culture
Light: Full sun to partial shade. Best flowering is on plants in full sun.
Moisture: Chenille plant needs a humid environment and frequent watering during the summer growing season.
Hardiness: USDA Zones 10B - 12. Chenille plant does not tolerate frost.
Propagation: Propagate chenille plant from cuttings taken in summer. Best results come from semi-ripe wood tip cuttings with a heel.

chenille plant shrub
Brilliant color, unique form, and coarse texture make chenille plant a standout in the tropical landscape.
Usage
Chenille plant can be grown in a container on the patio or porch, and brought indoors during cold weather. It looks great in a large hanging basket with its fluffy crimson tassels hanging over the sides. It also can be kept as a houseplant in a bright location, but it will require frequent and heavy pruning, as well as regular misting in an air conditioned room. A common practice is to take cuttings every year and have new young and vigorous plants constantly coming on.

In frost free climates, grow this striking ornamental as a free standing specimen shrub or give it a prominent position in a mixed border or hedge.

Features
The brightly colored pendulous tassels of chenille plant are extremely showy, and a specimen in full bloom is a spectacular sight.

--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

ajinkya gadave

Oct 12, 2011, 1:41:00 AM10/12/11
to hari lal, Bhatt Sweta, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Acalypha hispida

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2011, 5:52:10 AM10/12/11
to ajinkya gadave, hari lal, Bhatt Sweta, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Dear Hari ji
Please don't copy paste from a website. It makes the thread bulky, more so reproducing without permission may not always allowed. You can simply give link to the website. It will be much more convenient for the members.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Madhuri Raut

Oct 12, 2011, 6:51:29 AM10/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, hari lal, Bhatt Sweta, efloraofindia
Thank you Sweta ji,Hari lal ji and Ajinkya ji for Id
Regards
Bhagyashri

hari lal

Oct 12, 2011, 7:26:17 AM10/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, Bhatt Sweta, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
ok  sir in future i follow your openion thanks for remembering about this

mani nair

Oct 18, 2011, 4:32:41 AM10/18/11
to hari lal, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, Bhatt Sweta, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Bhagyashri ji , beautiful flower.  Here is mine from Panjim, Goa.

Regards,

Mani.
catstail.jpg

Madhuri Raut

Oct 18, 2011, 4:45:32 AM10/18/11
to mani nair, hari lal, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, Bhatt Sweta, efloraofindia
lovely! I think this is the fully developed form of the same

Regards
Bhagyashri

Ushadi micromini

Oct 18, 2011, 8:31:28 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Gurucharanji.... that is what I was getting at when I asked
Hari ji repeatedly a few days ago...
because it seemed he was copy pasting ... but he said he was doing it
from his own files... but now a days there are plagiarism catching
programs made for catching school and college kids plagiarizing essays
from the net for homework submission... its very easy to catch the
copyrighted material....

MAY BE we should have a moderator meeting on these and make
announcement and write it up in the rules for Indiatreepix....

Usha di

==========

On Oct 12, 2:52 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> texture make chenille plant a standout in the tropical landscape. *Usage*
> >> Chenille plant can be grown in a container on the patio or porch, and
> >> brought indoors during cold weather. It looks great in a large hanging
> >> basket with its fluffy crimson tassels hanging over the sides. It also can
> >> be kept as a houseplant in a bright location, but it will require frequent
> >> and heavy pruning, as well as regular misting in an air conditioned room. A
> >> common practice is to take cuttings every year and have new young and
> >> vigorous plants constantly coming on.
>
> >>  In frost free climates, grow this striking ornamental as a free standing
> >> specimen shrub or give it a prominent position in a mixed border or hedge.
>
> >> *Features*
> >> The brightly colored pendulous tassels of chenille plant are extremely
> >> showy, and a specimen in full bloom is a spectacular sight.

Ushadi micromini

Oct 18, 2011, 8:32:38 AM10/18/11
to efloraofindia
Bhagyashri: we knew this as chenile plant as we grew up... very common
in calcutta homes..

I just photographed a few last week....

usha di
===