Alternanthera ID1 from Hooghly 21/10/12 sk1

surajit koley

Oct 21, 2012, 1:23:58 PM10/21/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Very interesting find in "The Plant List" relating to FoI species http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sanguinarea.html :-

Species : Alternanthera paronychioides A.St.-Hil. ?
H & H : wild herb in rural roadside, waste place, rail tracks
Date : 27/10/12, 3.50 p.m.
Place : Hooghly

Some similarities -

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1470.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1491.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1493.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1494.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1471.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1472.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1474.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1475.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1476.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1477.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1479.jpg
Alternanthera_27aug12_DSCN1490.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2012, 4:46:24 PM10/21/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Alternanthera ficoidea

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

Oct 21, 2012, 9:38:53 PM10/21/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Good morning / evening Sir,

There are at least two Alternanthera ficoidea in The Plant List -
  1. accepted name Alternanthera ficoidea (L.) Sm. = syn. Alternanthera tenella Colla BUT NOT with any synonym as Gomphrena ficoidea.
  2. synonym Alternanthera ficoidea (L.) R. Br. = accepted name Alternanthera paronychioides A.St.-Hil.  = syn. Gomphrena ficoidea L. BUT NOT with any synonym as Alternanthera tenella.
GRIN has Alternanthera ficoidea (L.) P. Beauv. =  Alternanthera tenella Colla = Gomphrena ficoidea L. (basionym)

Which one do i take?

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2012, 11:12:42 PM10/21/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit ji
The Plant List seems to be making mess of things. I am tired of pointing out their mistakes. A. ficoidea (L.) Sm. is not recorded in IPNI, the most authentic source of Plant names. Please also note that in the Plant list there is no synonym which has Linnaeus as the author. If not Gomphrena ficoidea then what is the basionym of A. ficoidea (L.) Sm. My frequent advise to members that if the name exists in GRIN, it is better to follow it.
     I agree there is lot of confusion in the net, but A. paronychoides is a soft stemmed plant of wet grounds, often found along banks of drains, streams and river banks. It is totally creeping and rooting herb. I have photographed and collected it both in Delhi and Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

  .

surajit koley

Oct 22, 2012, 11:25:58 AM10/22/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Good evening / morning Sir,

Thank you very much for every details and links.

So, i have now Alternanthera ficoidea (L.) P. Beauv.

Will try to find out Alternanthera paronychioides also.

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

Oct 23, 2012, 9:39:33 AM10/23/12