Lamiaceae (incl. Verbenaceae) Fortnight: TC03 - Leucas for id.

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 2, 2015, 10:13:28 AM5/2/15
to efloraofindia
Goa, Kolem, roadsides, somewhat straggling.
Regards,
TC.
Leucas for id..jpg

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2015, 6:06:36 AM5/4/15
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Leucas species in eFloraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Leucas for id..jpg

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2015, 6:26:50 AM5/4/15
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thanks, Lalithamba ji.

May 4, 2015, 11:17:59 AM5/4/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
This is Leucas biflora i thoght
bcoz here stem loos quadrangular, leaves petiolate lanceolate
Regards
Smita Raskar
308 Disha Residency,
Salaiwada,Sawantwadi
Mob.09422379568

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 4, 2015, 12:39:04 PM5/4/15
to Smita Raskar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you all.
Regards,
TC.

surajit koley

May 4, 2015, 2:46:36 PM5/4/15
to J.M. Garg, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Smita Madam,

I remember you identified my thread of Leucas biflora https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/RX4LT0YCOkY/vKha7wFYRfIJ.

Usually in L. biflora (Vahl) Sm. number of flowers per whorl is 1 to 4 (sometimes upto 6) and flowers are pedicellate. Here the number of flowers seems to be more than biflora and those flowers look sessile. Moreover flowers are densely arranged.

So, I request you to reconsider the ID of this species.

Thank you

With regards

surajit

surajit koley

May 4, 2015, 3:14:43 PM5/4/15
to J.M. Garg, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
It is interesting to note that account of Leucas chinensis (Retz.) R. Br. in FoC is a bit different than Indin sites like http://keralaplants.in/keralaplantsdetails.aspx?id=Leucas_chinensis. Also one has to take note of calyx mouth http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000929492.

Interestingly, there is also one Leucas mollissima var. chinensis, one L. chinensis var. lanata ... etc which KEW thinks are synonyms of L. chinensis.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Smita Raskar

May 5, 2015, 6:05:52 AM5/5/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
find out difference between two here  please
i have seen L biflora not L chinensis  so you only decide
Thanks
Regards

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 5, 2015, 11:18:42 AM5/5/15
to Smita Raskar, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I am happy that Surajitji is back armed with his websites and solutions with nomenclatural and identification problems.  I am sure now I will get the correct identity.
Regards to all.
TC.

surajit koley

May 5, 2015, 12:31:42 PM5/5/15
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Smita Raskar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Sir and Smita Ji,

I hesitate to say that this plate or photograph is not enough to identify the plant at species level. I am sorry Smita Ji I couldn't find differences of L. biflora and L. chinensis in the FoC and pdf links you have provided. I already have the pdf paper since 2012 - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/RX4LT0YCOkY/6SrZFRng5MsJ. And when I write "account of Leucas chinensis (Retz.) R. Br. in FoC is a bit different than Indian sites" it means I have read FoC description.

While some authors think that L. biflora doesn't form flowering whorl, and quite naturally when we see that usually there are only 1 or 2 flowers per verticillaster, other authors use the term "whorl" when they note presence of 4 or more flowers.

Let's see what are Smita Ji's points -
  • "stem looks quadrangular" = L. chinensis stem is or can be quadrangular
  • "leaves petiolate" - as per Kerala site (I have pasted link earlier) L. chinensis leaves have petioles 0.5 to 3.5 cm long. So informs Indian Biodiversity Portal. In KEW herb petiolate leaf can be seen. Same can be seen in Taiwan site Attached here Retzius' account.
  • "leaves lanceolate" = this is one thing I fail to find any ref. But I do not think only leaf shape can reject a probable ID. Because things are more favourable to L. chinensis thank to L. biflora.
Smita Ji, I also never seen L. chinensis but then I didn't see many many species.... yet I try.

Thank you
Regards

Clipboard01.jpg

Smita Raskar

May 5, 2015, 11:56:18 PM5/5/15
to surajit koley, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thats what exactly i said on the basis of two links i have given i thought it is L biflora
but as i said i have never seen L chinensis it is up to you to decide
as you have come to conclusion it is L chinensis
i mean i stand corrected
Thanks

surajit koley

May 6, 2015, 1:56:44 PM5/6/15
to Smita Raskar, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
  • Leucas chinensis

The problem is TPL thinks L. chinensis, L. chinensis var. lanata, L. mollisima var. chinensis ....all synonymous (with one or more star rating). But FoC thinks otherwise -
Unfortunately FoC doesn't feature L. biflora.

It is interesting to note IPNI detail on Leucas chinensis R. Br. The protologue can be found (attached herewith also) at http://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/36315781#page/372/mode/1up.. More, interesting is account of Leucas by Brown in that protologue. Here is an illustration of decemdentata (it's a different taxon in TPL) - http://plantillustrations.org/illustration.php?id_illustration=56143&mobile=0&code_category_taxon=.

  • Leucas biflora

IPNI informs"basionym not stated" for Leucas biflora (Vahl) Sm. Protologue of Leucas procumbens Thwaites can be found at http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/528167#page/247/mode/1up This protologue refers Wight's illustration. Attached herewith Wight's account of the species.

I think I have provided ample links of websites for nomenclature and identification problems.

Unless we have the "work(s)" mentioned in another thread, along with more elaborate photographs of this species nothing is confirmed.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg
Leucas_biflora_Wight.jpg

M Swamy

May 7, 2015, 12:02:50 AM5/7/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
How about  Leucas chinensis?   Pl check this link - India Biodiversity portal  :http://indiabiodiversity.org/species/show/251140

surajit koley

Jun 10, 2015, 10:58:48 PM6/10/15
to Smita Raskar, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I would like to put a question mark on its identity as Leucas chinensis (Retz.) R. Br. The species usually has 3-8 flowers per whorl; 1-1.5 cm long calyx tube, abruptly dilated mouth, broadly triangular spreading teeth -- all these characters are not clear in the attached photographs.

This can't be L. biflora as well.

L. montana (Roth.) Spreng can be straggler, but have truncate or rounded leaf base. L. lanata var. lanata, an erect perennial, has rounded or slightly narrowed leaf base. L. decemdentata var. decemdentata, an annual can have cuneate leaf base (L. chinensis also).

So, id of this one remains unresolved.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2021, 5:30:43 AM10/13/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as   Leucas species- Goa
My trying to key out species from FBI leads me to L. chinensis and not L. biflora in which we have just one two flowers at each node. But then this publication is interesting:
Wight’s specimen from Peninsular India which Bentham considered as Leucas chinensis is different from Retzius specimen from China. A lectotype for this name is selected from specimens collected by Bladh for Retzius in China. In contrast, Wight’s specimen represents a new species endemic to southern Western Ghats, having long branches, broadly ovate leaves, funnel shaped calyx with a wide mouth and stellately spreading, broadly triangular teeth and the corolla 16–17 mm long.
I don't have access to full paper, but is worth comparison. It is also interesting that this paper came full 4 years after Surajit ji's critical analysis.
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 15, 2021, 9:43:15 AM10/15/21
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix, Tapas Chakrabarty, Sunojkumar P
Sir,

As per "Monograph On Indian Leucas...", by Dr. V. Singh, the species Leucas biflora features "flower-whorls laxly 1 to 6 flowers...".

I would rather select Leucas chinensis for the identity of this photographic plate.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

J.M. Garg

Oct 21, 2021, 6:35:48 AM10/21/21
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, surajitkoley, GurcharanSingh
Forwarding again for validation as Leucas chinensis or otherwise.

J.M. Garg

Oct 21, 2021, 8:15:35 AM10/21/21
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, surajitkoley, GurcharanSingh
Thanks a lot, Sunoj ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Oct 21, 2021, 8:24:31 AM10/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, GurcharanSingh
Thank you Sir, for the corrected id of this Leucas.

Regards
surajit