Galium sp. ABMAY01/14

Ashwini Bhatia

May 16, 2016, 1:35:55 PM5/16/16
to efloraofindia
This beautiful Galium has mostly four leaves in whorls. I found a few in flower and took photographs for a proper ID. Please advise.

Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1850m

Thanks.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

May 20, 2016, 2:49:52 AM5/20/16
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

Forwarding again for Id  assistance please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Galium species in eFloraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available on net)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2016, 2:01:12 PM5/29/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
It appears Galium elegans based on Flora of Chamba and Flora of Kullu.
Plants in the background are of Pilea umbrosa (Shady Himalayan Clearweed)

Regards
ANIL THAKUR

--
With best Regards,

Anil Kumar Thakur
M.Sc. (Hons.), Ph.D.

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 4, 2016, 2:47:37 AM6/4/16
to Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Thakur ji. Are these books on Flora of Chamba and Kullui available?

Regards,
Ashwini

Anil Thakur

Jun 4, 2016, 3:27:52 AM6/4/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg

Ashwini ji,
These books, published by a Dehradun based publisher,  are available in the market. You can also search online.

Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 4, 2016, 3:28:32 AM6/4/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
G. elegans should have 3-veined leaves. I can't see in any image. Please check in other shots.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 4, 2016, 3:42:23 AM6/4/16
to Gurcharan Singh, Anil Thakur, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr Singh. Here is another photo from that day. I can’t see the veins here too.

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 4, 2016, 3:43:53 AM6/4/16
to Anil Thakur, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg
Thank you Thakur ji. I will look online. If you find more details such as publishers name, please share with me.

Thank you once again.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Jun 7, 2016, 4:25:11 AM6/7/16
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Anil Thakur, Gurcharan Singh

Forwarding again for Id  assistance please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Galium species in eFloraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available on net)

It appears Galium elegans based on Flora of Chamba and Flora of Kullu.
Plants in the background are of  Pilea umbrosa (Shady Himalayan Clearweed)
Regards
ANIL THAKUR

G. elegans should have 3-veined leaves. I can't see in any image. Please check in other shots.
Dr. Gurcharan Singh

Thank you Dr Singh. Here is another photo from that day. I can’t see the veins here too.- from Ashwini ji.

These images look different from those of Galium elegans by Prashant ji as per VOF Week: ID request-06-08-2012: en-route Joshimath (including flower colour)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Tabish

Jun 22, 2016, 5:28:53 AM6/22/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
This should be Galium elegans, characterized by 4 whorled leaves, and white or greenish flowers.
   http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200022087
   Tabish

www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Tabish

Jun 22, 2016, 11:50:50 AM6/22/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Leaves look like those of Galium asperifolium, however I am not sure if it can have 4 leaves only.
   Tabish

www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg

Jun 23, 2016, 12:48:27 AM6/23/16
to Tabish, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Thanks, Tabish ji.

Ashwini Bhatia

This beautiful Galium has mostly four leaves in whorls. I found a few in flower and took photographs for a proper ID. Please advise.

Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1850m

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_1709_15May2016.jpg><_MG_1745_15May2016.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Jun 28, 2016, 1:35:54 AM6/28/16
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Tabish Qureshi, Gurcharan Singh, Anil Thakur
Does not match with images at Galium asperifolium

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2020, 6:41:37 AM4/2/20
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, GurcharanSingh, Tabish, Anil Thakur
Apr 2, 2020, 7:00:30 AM4/2/20
to efloraofindia
I think Galium hirtiflorum

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2020, 7:48:34 AM4/2/20
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, GurcharanSingh
Thanks, Singh ji,
G. hirtiflorum is different as per GBIF.

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 16:30, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think Galium hirtiflorum

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2020, 11:26:46 AM4/2/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Problem with hoffmeisteri is never less than 6 leaves are reported.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ashwini Bhatia

Apr 2, 2020, 11:43:36 PM4/2/20
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr. Singh and Mr. Garg. Reading the description on FOC, G. hirtiflorum seems a good match. Unfortunately, GBIF has only dried specimens, which are difficult to match with the photos of the fresh plants.

Perhaps, it needs more photos too. I will do my best this season.

Warm regards,
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2020, 3:44:03 AM4/3/20
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, GurcharanSingh
Flora of China says for Galium hoffmeisteri (Klotzsch) Ehrendorfer & Schön­beck-Temesy ex R. R. Mill "Middle stem leaves and leaflike stipules in whorls of up to 6 (in weak plants rarely only up to 4),........."
Pl. see FOC illustration, it shows five.

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2020, 3:50:27 AM4/3/20
to Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi, Ashwini ji.
It is Galium hoffmeisteri only.
Pl. see Galium hirtiflorum at SK1393 30 AUG 2018 and SK1364 09 AUG 2018

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 3, 2020, 4:37:44 AM4/3/20
to J.M. Garg, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Yes Garg ji,

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Mob: 9810359089

Ashwini Bhatia

Apr 3, 2020, 5:44:25 AM4/3/20
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I found a couple more images showing fruit to add to the collection.

Thanks.
Ashwini

_MG_1559_04June2018.jpg
_MG_1562_04June2018.jpg
_MG_1576_04June2018.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2020, 6:12:39 AM4/3/20
to Gurcharan Singh, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Thanks, Singh ji.

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2020, 6:13:15 AM4/3/20
to Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks, Ashwini ji, for the wonderful images.

Ashwini Bhatia

Apr 3, 2020, 7:45:09 AM4/3/20
to J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Mr. Garg.