Fwd: STORY OF A CYCAS ( 1964 VINTAGE )

14 vues

J.M. Garg

non lue,
9 janv. 2017, 11:27:4309/01/2017
à efloraofindia

Thanks,  Bimal ji,  for the details.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Bimal Sar kar" <bima...@gmail.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2017 8:43 p.m.
Subject: STORY OF A CYCAS ( 1964 VINTAGE )

Hello,
         In the year 1972 I saw beautiful plant in a house at Cooch Behar, which attracted me for its symmetrical arrangement of leaves. I did not know the name of that plant at that time. In those days  people used to have gardens in their houses and there used to be open space in front of each house. Those who knows about Cooch Behar the house I am referring to is on B S Road. It is on the left side of the road as one approaches from Madan Mohan Chopathi to Harish Pal Chowpathi. I left Cooch Behar in 1974 but whenever I used to visit the place on leave I used to see this plant ( now I know this to be a CYCAS ) still standing there.
I came back to this place in 2005 and the plant was still there. Recently I saw some construction activities in that house I knew the days of my old friend are numbered. I spoke to the owner of the house and came to know that the tree was planted in 1964. He told me the it will be sacrificed. I requested him to talk to the park authorities they may like to translocate the tree. I am not hopeful. I took an image of the plant and uploading it.
I have seen some 100 trees vanishing whose images are with me in my Symbiosis series,
                                          Regards,
Cycas-1964.jpg

J.M. Garg

non lue,
22 janv. 2017, 03:45:0922/01/2017
à efloraofindia,Bimal Sar kar
It appears like Cycas revoluta Thunb. (Cultivated) as per comparative images at Cycas
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Ushadi Micromini

non lue,
26 févr. 2017, 14:31:0826/02/2017
à Bimal Sar kar,efloraofindia
Thats sad

I see these transplanted in California often.

May be some local nursery guy can bring it to a safe spot in a botanical garden or some such place?
A large root ball has to be dug up with the plant
 after wrapping the leaves up carefullly to protect the workers and the plant itself.

usa di

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Bimal Sar kar <bima...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur