Fragaria nubicola ABMAY01/05

Ashwini Bhatia

May 3, 2015, 2:25:31 PM5/3/15
to efloraofindia
It was my first time seeing this Himalayan strawberry. We have the Duchesnea indica aplenty but this one is scarce. I saw several plant with flowers today but no fruit.

Fragaria nubicola (Himalayan Strawberry)
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1850m approx.

Thanks.
Ashwini

Ushadi Micromini

May 3, 2015, 6:10:00 PM5/3/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
very nice

now wait for the berries to develope

what pollinates these?

usha di

Usha di
===========

Ashwini Bhatia

May 5, 2015, 12:26:48 PM5/5/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
I will go again next weekend. These are not nearby where I live but are reached after an hour or so of walk up in the mountains. I will report next week. I saw almost every flower swarming with ants. Could they be helping in pollination?

Thanks.
Ashwini

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
It was my first time seeing this Himalayan strawberry. We have the Duchesnea indica aplenty but this one is scarce. I saw several plant with flowers today but no fruit.

Fragaria nubicola (Himalayan Strawberry)
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1850m approx.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_5511_03May15.jpg>

Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

May 5, 2015, 8:40:17 PM5/5/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Well, since its that far, carry some first aid like itch guard, anti histamine and some lacto calamine type skin rub
i know from experience
be careful of the ants they bite
quite painful and swelling results

ants and plant kingdom is a long complicated story
some trees invite them
provide special shelter
food
protection
some simply let them cut up their leaves
etc etc
some  are biting types see this report in smithsonian: http://smithsonianscience.org/2015/02/ant-bites-inspire-study-of-nectar-organs-on-tropical-trees/

but they are talking of trees
there are many such examples
i just read a long review last week but cant remember where

it was about tree with big thorns

==
but strawberry plants get infected with aphids
and ants try to eat the dew from aphids
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/carpenter_ant.htm

or eat even the strawberry flower nectar
they all bite

they do not pollinate the plant , bees and some small butterflies do..
I knew it and now i have a solid ref from virginia tech:
 http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/wild_strawberry.htm

usha di

Ashwini Bhatia

May 5, 2015, 10:24:05 PM5/5/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Ushadi. I will be careful.

Thank you doubly for the links.
Ashwini

Narain Singh Chauhan

May 28, 2015, 5:54:35 AM5/28/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Fragaria vesca- very frequent in temperate and Sub-Alpine slopes edible as wild strawberry.
Duchesnia indica on the other hand grows in lower areas,has yellow flowers,calyx lobes drooping downwards and fruits are tasteless. Dog's Strawberry.

Ushadi Micromini

May 28, 2015, 9:27:46 PM5/28/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia

Fragaria nubicola (Lindl. ex Hook.f.) Lacaita is an accepted name

per the plantlist http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/rjp-11720

usha di

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Jun 3, 2015, 4:20:12 AM6/3/15
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Fragaria vesca- very frequent in temperate and Sub-Alpine slopes edible as wild strawberry.

Duchesnia indica on the other hand grows in lower areas, has yellow flowers, calyx lobes drooping downwards and fruits are tasteless. Dog's Strawberry.- from N S Chauhan ji.

Fragaria nubicola (Lindl. ex Hook.f.) Lacaita is an accepted name per the plantlist http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/rjp-11720
usha di

efi pages on Fragaria nubicola & Fragaria vesca

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

surajit koley

Jun 5, 2015, 2:09:06 AM6/5/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini
How do you differentiate it with Fragaria daltoniana J. Gray?

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

surajit koley

surajit koley

Jun 5, 2015, 2:44:05 AM6/5/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 6, 2015, 10:42:10 PM6/6/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini
Whenever we have to check for an East Himalayan plant, you are likely to find it in Flora of China

F. daltoniana: Sepals reflexed in fruit; plants not taller than 6 cm; epicalyx oblong with 2-3 lobed apex
F. nubicola: Sepals appressed in fruit; plants up to 25 cm tall; epicalyx segments lanceolate, acuminate at tip

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 7, 2015, 12:07:47 AM6/7/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini
Thank you Surajit for these excellent resources. From whatever I could absorb from the second paper it seems  that F. vesca is unlikely to be my plant (being found only west of the Urals, Northern Europe, America...). F. nubicola on the other hand is a distinct possibility.

The other paper you pointed to gives the geographical range of F. vesca vesca generally as Asia, so perhaps a subspecies exists in these parts.

Next time I am in that area, I will collect a specimen and do a detailed analysis.

Regards,
Ashwini

<_MG_5511_03May15.jpg>

surajit koley

Jun 7, 2015, 2:58:03 AM6/7/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini
Yes, Ashwini Ji,  my guess is also that Fragaria vesca is unlikely to be found in wild.

Thank you Gurcharan Sir, interestingly FoC thinks F. rubicola is present particularly in Kashmir (along with Nepal, Sikkim......) not as a general in India. Neither FoP thinks the species is present in India. Of-course they are not the last words, because the doc http://www.schweizerbart.de/papers/pde/detail/126/52820/Himalayan_species_of state the species is present in HP (though it is kept inside a bracket for reason unknown).

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

surajit koley

Jun 7, 2015, 3:00:12 AM6/7/15
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ushadi Micromini
Thank you Sir, interestingly FoC thinks F. rubicola is present particularly in Kashmir (along with Nepal, Sikkim......) not as a general in India. Neither FoP thinks the species is present in India. Of-course they are not the last words, because the doc http://www.schweizerbart.de/papers/pde/detail/126/52820/Himalayan_species_of states the species is present in HP (though it is kept inside a bracket for reason unknown).

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Ashwini Bhatia

Oct 1, 2016, 11:48:51 PM10/1/16
to efloraofindia
Found a couple of flowers on my trek yesterday and I though of posting them here. This one is from about 2500m but I saw another at 2800m too.

Fragaria nubicola
Mcleodganj-Triund, HP
2500m
01 October 2016.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_5511_03May15.jpg>

With regards,
J.M.Garg
The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Oct 3, 2016, 7:50:08 PM10/3/16
to efloraofindia
Lovely images.  So useful to have a shot of the rear of a flower, which illustrates the calyx/sepals so much better - their shape is often important to know to help towards a reliable identification.  As is the underside of leaves (as well as upper surface).  The final shot also shows well the 'epicalyx' with lobes alternating with the 5 calyx lobes.

Fragaria nubicola is very common in the temperate and subalpine zones along much of the Himalayan.  Stewart remarked that the berries were often gathered for sale by children.  I have seen it growing abundantly in and at the edge of lower forest in Bhutan (when working as a consultant to The Royal Government on 'The Cultivation of Medicinal Plants for Traditional Medicine' - Himalayan Strawberry is used in Tibetan Medicine.  Interestingly, it has the same Tibetan name as Saxifraga stenophylla (formerly S.flagellaris) which also has small reddish runners.  If my memory serves me correctly, the strawberry was the superior form according to Tibetan doctors.

It is common in Kashmir but when I first came to H.P., leading a botanical tour in Lahoul in 1985, we found Duchesnea indica on the floor of the Deodar forest at Manali - F.nubicola occurs on the Rohtang.  By coincidence, I viewed an image of a close-up (but not as good as Ashwini's) of a white flower from Rohtang which I thought probably was this species, taken by a British visitor (en route to Ladakh) just days ago.  Ashwini's images help me confirm its identity.  "nubicola" means "cloud dweller" and it is certainly found higher in the mountains (to 3800m) than Duchesnea indica.  I do not recollect having tasted its fruits but am sure they are better than the iinspid ones of the 'Indian Strawberry' (Duchesnea).

There was an inquiry about distinguishing F.nubicola from F.daltoniana - the latter, found from Kumaon to Sikkim usually has (according to Kletter & Kriechbaum in 'Tibetan Medicinal Plants') smaller leaflets with only 4 ot 6 teeth on each side, not silky on the underside, the ripe fruit becoming conical and pink or whitish when ripe.

J.M. Garg

Ashwini Bhatia

Oct 3, 2016, 9:11:05 PM10/3/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Mr Garg.

On 2 Oct 2016 09:18, "Ashwini Bhatia" <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
Found a couple of flowers on my trek yesterday and I though of posting them here. This one is from about 2500m but I saw another at 2800m too.

Fragaria nubicola
Mcleodganj-Triund, HP
2500m
01 October 2016.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_7267_01Oct2016.jpg><_MG_7268_01Oct2016.jpg><_MG_7269_01Oct2016.jpg>

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Oct 3, 2016, 9:55:20 PM10/3/16
to efloraofindia
Oops!  Just goes to show that one needs to keep up-to-date as to revisions of genera of plants in the Himalaya - and the reality is that the vast majority of genera in the Himalaya are in need of revision, some urgently so, as our understanding of them is very poor.

Whilst looking into Fragaria nubicola, I noticed that F.bucharica is listed by Dickore & Klimes in their check-list for Ladakh flora.  I had not heard of this species before.  Their is no reference to it.

I could not readily find any images or descriptions to check.  I then spotted the post of Surajit Kohli from 2015 which had been re-posted, which draws attention to: http://www.schweizerbart.de/papers/pde/detail/126/52820/Himalayan_species_of - a revision of the Himalayan species of Fragaria by Gunter Staudt.  I can only access the abstract at present.  Can some get the full article and send a copy to me and summarise the differences between this species and F.nubicola, as I think there may be both species in HP?   Thus we until this is checked, we can only the plant above Mcleod Ganj as provisionally F.nubicola.

The abstract states that F.bucharica is found in Kashmir (and it seems the Ladakh part but it must be uncommon and restricted to the moister parts close to the border with Kashmir).  F.nubicola is distributed from HP to SW China, whereas F.bucharica is found in Kashmir, presumably N.Pakistan, E.Pakistan and Tadjikistan.

Yet more names changes to celebrate!  Please note that you find me often saying that I consider this to be a particular species, based on my present understanding, all-too-aware that the situation could change - even for species one is/was fairly confident they knew well!  I repeat and this applies to all science, not just botany but we can ONLY ever say (if we have the necessary expertise) that a plant belongs to a particular species, to the best of our present understanding, mindful that revisions of a genus could be taking place as images are posted.  Or we were not aware of the revisions.  The picture is complicated by differences of opinion in the botanical world amongst the taxonomists who revise plants (some of which perform excellent revisions, other not).  So sometimes this means the changes/revisions are not generally accepted or rejected altogether.

I realise how bewildering this can be and discouraging but we need to keep going.  It also illustrates the NECESSITY for India botany to collaborate internationally and keep up with studies on genera and species found within Indian territory (and bordering countries, as it is worth "keeping a look out for species from bordering countries which may have been overlooked previously).  Likewise, it is ESSENTIAL for Indian botanists who publish species NEW TO SCIENCE or NEW TO INDIA publish in top quality International Journals.  Otherwise their findings cannot be inspected/checked or be made known.

I am still unable to access a description of a Waldheimia huegelii or know how to distinguish it from other Waldheimias.

Their is nowadays a International Code which needs to be followed for the VALID naming of a NEW species.  One of the reasons there are so many synonyms for certain species, is that botanists all over the world, acting independently, published species under names without checking - it was much more difficult to do so in the 19th Century.

Oh Dear, things do have a habit of turning out to be complicated.  We all wish it was simpler and easier but hopefully we can all 'enjoy' or at least put up with the challenges of naming plants - and keeping "up-to-date".

Ashwini Bhatia

Oct 4, 2016, 9:32:42 AM10/4/16
to J.M. Garg, C CHADWELL, efloraofindia
Thank you once again Chris for taking the time to explain things in detail.

Regards,
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Oct 13, 2016, 12:12:36 AM10/13/16