Gutter beauty -Flower for ID - 21Jun11AR01

raghu ananth

Jun 21, 2011, 4:17:52 AM6/21/11
to efloraofindia
Flower for ID 21Jun11AR01

Gutter beauty -
Grows near cowdung (manure) pit

Vernacular-Gobbarada hoo,
( Manure flower)

Date/Time-31 Aug 2009
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Hampapura, Mysore
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-, Wild, Grows near cowdung manure pit
lant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Shrub
Height/Length-approx - 4 feet
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape - 5 lobed, digitate,
9cms,
margin - toothed
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-12cms, purple,
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- No fruits

Grows near cowdung manure pit

Regards

Raghu

DSC_4981.jpg
DSC_4976.jpg
DSC_4979b.jpg
DSC_4981c.jpg

mani nair

Jun 21, 2011, 5:53:26 AM6/21/11
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
Dear Raghuji, beautiful flower.  I had the same plant with me.  It is a type of hibiscus and propagated from seeds and cuttings.

Regards,

Mani.

H S

Jun 21, 2011, 9:05:54 AM6/21/11
to mani nair, raghu ananth, efloraofindia
hi,
its Hibiscus cannabinus

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

raghu ananth

Jun 21, 2011, 10:58:12 AM6/21/11
to H S, mani nair, efloraofindia
Thank you for the the ID help.-Hibiscus cannabinus,
blooms - white, yellow or purple, at times center is dark purple.

elinks-

Thanks again

Raghu

Jun 21, 2011, 3:34:34 PM6/21/11
to raghu ananth, Efloraindia
Hibiscus cannabinus
The leaves are sour and make very tasty bhaji (shag) to be eaten with chapati or Bhakari.
The red calyx which is also sour is dried and used in place of tamarind in curries.
In marathi ambadi.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:47:52 +0530 (IST)
To: efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
ReplyTo: raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:72237] Gutter beauty -Flower for ID - 21Jun11AR01

Vijayasankar

Jun 21, 2011, 5:31:13 PM6/21/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, raghu ananth, Efloraindia
Doesn't it look like Hibiscus radiatus, the red hibiscus??

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Vijayadas D

Jun 21, 2011, 11:42:25 PM6/21/11
to H S, mani nair, raghu ananth, efloraofindia
Cannabis plant ?
--
Vijayadas
Electro Saudi Services Ltd.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2011, 8:49:42 AM9/4/11
to Vijayadas D, H S, mani nair, raghu ananth, efloraofindia
The two species really very close, the main difference being that epicalyx sebments are forked in H. radiatus,

not so in H. cannabinus

on that count the above is H. cannabinus

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

formp...@yahoo.com

Sep 4, 2011, 8:56:12 AM9/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, Vijayadas D, H S, mani nair, raghu ananth
See the epicalyx is important.

From: Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:19:42 +0530
To: Vijayadas D<dvija...@gmail.com>
Cc: H S<hems...@gmail.com>; mani nair<mani....@gmail.com>; raghu ananth<ragh...@yahoo.com>; efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:79549] Gutter beauty -Flower for ID - 21Jun11AR01

jmgarg1

Nov 7, 2012, 4:27:47 AM11/7/12
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
H. radiatus as per Singh ji in the thread:
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg