Acanthaceae from valparai for identification 100812MK03

Muthu Karthick

Aug 10, 2012, 2:33:32 AM8/10/12
to efloraofindia
Dear all,
Please help me to identify this Acanthaceae member found near water streams in southern western ghats. Height of plant goes up to 25cm and leaves up to 10cm longer; inflorescence 4cm longer.

Date: 02 Aug 2012
Alt.: 1050m asl
Place: Solayar, Valparai, TN

Habitat: near water stream and mud walls on road
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Acanthaceae.jpg
Acanthaceae (1).jpg
Acanthaceae (2).jpg
Acanthaceae (4).jpg
Acanthaceae (6).jpg
Acanthaceae (7).jpg
Acanthaceae (8).jpg

Muthu Karthick

Aug 10, 2012, 6:32:00 AM8/10/12
to efloraofindia

Aug 10, 2012, 7:24:50 AM8/10/12
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
WHAT AN INTERESTING FLOWER...
google search only turns up our threads???
hasn't any papers written about this?

why?
Usha di

Usha di
===========

Vijayasankar

Aug 11, 2012, 12:41:08 PM8/11/12
to ushadi Micromini, Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Usha di, that could be due to spelling error.
Pl search again for Rhynchoglossum notonianum.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

--
Usha di
===========

jmgarg1

Aug 18, 2012, 4:09:42 AM8/18/12
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha...@gmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, Sujana K Arjunan, Muthu Karthick, ushadi Micromini

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Check it with Rhyncoglossum notonianum (Gesneriaceae)

Sincerely
R. Kottaimuthu”

“WHAT AN INTERESTING FLOWER...

google search only turns up our threads???
hasn't any papers written about this?

why?
Usha di”

“Usha di, that could be due to spelling error.

Pl search again for Rhynchoglossum notonianum.

Regards
Vijayasankar Raman”

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1900 members & 1,23,300 messages on 31/7/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7000 species).

Acanthaceae.jpg
Acanthaceae (1).jpg
Acanthaceae (2).jpg
Acanthaceae (4).jpg
Acanthaceae (6).jpg
Acanthaceae (7).jpg
Acanthaceae (8).jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 18, 2012, 4:15:02 AM8/18/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha...@gmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, Sujana K Arjunan, Muthu Karthick, ushadi Micromini
Yes it is Rhyncoglossum notonianum  of  Gesneriaceae family.

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Assistant Professor

Muthu Karthick

Aug 18, 2012, 7:19:36 AM8/18/12
to Giby Kuriakose, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha...@gmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, Sujana K Arjunan, ushadi Micromini
Dear all,
Many thanks for the identification.

jmgarg1

Aug 18, 2012, 11:42:26 PM8/18/12
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha...@gmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, Sujana K Arjunan, Muthu Karthick, ushadi Micromini
A reply:
"Rhynchoglossum notonianum (= Klugia notonianum)

Santhosh"

Muthu Karthick

Aug 28, 2012, 2:11:37 AM8/28/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha...@gmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, Sujana K Arjunan, ushadi Micromini
Dear all,
Many thanks for the identification. This plant is Rhynchoglossum notonianum (Wall) Burtt from Gesneriaceae.

harithasandhya

Aug 28, 2012, 2:59:04 AM8/28/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Rhynchoglossum notonianum,  East Indian Klugia.

Commonly seen in moist areas in the western ghats in Kerala, especially on wet rock faces near
waterfalls along with many impatiens species.
It is a good indicator species for wetness.
Delicate and beautiful flowers.
One of my favorite flowers. Thank you for sharing.
 Regards, Sandhya

ushadi Micromini

Aug 28, 2012, 6:55:45 AM8/28/12
to Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijaya for the correction
usha di
=
--