indexeddb support on iOS

Kyaw

Mar 29, 2014, 6:27:04 PM3/29/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Are there any speculation about indexeddb support in iOS?

Taylor Buley

Mar 31, 2014, 8:27:36 PM3/31/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure we would all wish it would happen. Up until recently I would have said "never." I don't see any angle where IDB on iOS wouldn't mean more web-based apps. The pro-Web argument is obvious but that's never held water at One Infinite Loop. <canvas> was a one-way exchange if I remember correctly

But it's a new Apple now, (https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/449272494801702912) and there's a strong consensus that IDB is the most scalable way to approach client-side data and that includes Microsoft, the surprising champion of this HTML5 technology.

Whatever is burning CPU and battery life currently on iOS WebKit can't be good. I've not yet gotten into any of the shims but it seems like we see a lot of those issues on SO. Though, incidentally, in my experience Apple's CoreData may be the only data store whose APIs makes IDB's API look simple.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Kyaw <kya...@yathit.com> wrote:
Are there any speculation about indexeddb support in iOS?

Taylor Buley

Apr 2, 2014, 3:54:40 PM4/2/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
WinJS and thus IDB coming to Win8 phone.

That means the latest Android and Win builds ship with IDB support.

Pressure is on?

Taylor Buley

Apr 10, 2014, 10:35:29 AM4/10/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
dale, author of pouchdb: "I heard rumours that Safari 7.1 will have IndexedDB, will try to confirm"

Dale Harvey

Apr 10, 2014, 10:48:22 AM4/10/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
We tried for a long time to use a shim on PouchDB, http://nparashuram.com/IndexedDBShim/ in particular, it generally worked great, however there were a few niche caches which it couldnt satisfy our needs, particularly in our test env, but for most users of idb I think it should work well

Taylor Buley

Apr 10, 2014, 10:55:07 AM4/10/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
We're seeing a lot of issues come into StackOverflow regarding the shim

"If you wait a few milliseconds it works correctly" is sort of not an acceptable solution for me. I won't be using this shim for my library any time soon.

Taylor Buley

Apr 17, 2014, 7:41:56 PM4/17/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Can we all take a moment of silence in gratitude... Still can't get over the news from today

(Thank you Dale for bringing to our attention)

Taylor Buley

May 12, 2014, 4:17:49 PM5/12/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Safari's getting a new JavaScript "accelerator" as well, in tandem with IDB that's pretty exciting news http://www.infoworld.com/t/javascript/apple-has-its-own-javascript-accelerator-in-the-works-242042

Jacob Terry

May 14, 2014, 1:09:32 PM5/14/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Do we know for sure that IDB is coming to Safari? I never saw anything definitive about that.

Deni Spasovski

Jun 5, 2014, 10:54:01 AM6/5/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com