Ai smaller than Psd placed image?

katmcg

Jan 15, 2017, 10:11:29 PM1/15/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I’m doing T-shirt designs. The specs are 2000px high, RGB pngs.
When I do a 250 or 300dpi (or is it ppi) & open the psd in illustrator, or place it, the psd comes in smaller than 1000. What is going on? Why doesn’t the psd come in at 2000px high?

Also should I use Adobe RGB (1998)?

Kat

karen kennedy

Jan 16, 2017, 9:11:59 AM1/16/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Is the Canvas in Photoshop set for 2000px by whatever? That is determining your size in Illustrator. Then in the Image Size make sure the resolution is set for 250 or 300 ppi at the print size. The canvas and resolution are both required to be set in Photoshop. In Illustrator make sure your Raster Effects settings are also set for the same resolution.

katmcg

Jan 16, 2017, 5:05:28 PM1/16/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Karen,
This is a big help.

All my psd canvas are 2000px or higher.

Raster effects may be a problem. My ai raster effects are 72dpi. Does 72dpi affect my vector and text? How does it affect the 2000px psd placed in ai.

I’ve been sizing the pngs up in ai save for web 150% to 350% to get to 2000px size. Pngs look great. Should I go back and change the raster affects to 200 (the requirement for t-shirt printing) or 300 or ok as is?

karen kennedy

Jan 17, 2017, 8:32:09 PM1/17/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You can change the raster effect in AI under the Effect menu, set that to what ever you need. If it’s for web then 72px will be fine just only if you’re printing. Are you just trying resize them to 2000px for a particular reason? Is that resolution or image size?

katmcg

Jan 18, 2017, 11:45:40 AM1/18/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I’ve placed a 3000px x 2319px, 300ppi psd in a 2000px x 1750px wide ai set for 300 ppi. The psd come in at 556.56px x 720px high. This is the height is the same size psds placed in any ai, no matter the ai size or ai ppi.

I don’t understand why psd doesn’t come in full size. Any clues?

Kat

katmcg

Jan 18, 2017, 11:49:09 AM1/18/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
When I resize the placed psd to 2000px high in ai the psd shows resolution as 108 ppi.
So to make a psd placed in ai at 200 ppi I’d need to double the size and resolution in ai to 600ppi?

Kathleen

karen kennedy

Jan 18, 2017, 1:23:43 PM1/18/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
No you need to reset the resolution in Photoshop.