Indexing errors

Sharon Villines

Aug 29, 2017, 2:45:29 PM8/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I compiled the index, put it in a separate file, and edited and formatted it.

Export to ePub says there are errors, mostly Index Page entry missing but it doesn’t say which one. I deleted all the hyperlinks that somehow got inserted.

Is there any way to delete all the index marks?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines

The best reason to be in Houston today is that if you were in Miami there would be alligators.

William Adams

Aug 29, 2017, 3:10:25 PM8/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Find | @ flyout | Markers | Index Markers --- replace w/ nothing.

Sharon Villines

Aug 29, 2017, 3:42:14 PM8/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 3:10 PM, William Adams <will....@frycomm.com> wrote:
>
> Find | @ flyout | Markers | Index Markers --- replace w/ nothing.

Unfortunately, I now have 1203 index page entries instead of 39. I’m flummoxed.

To delete the entries in the index panel means 3 clicks for each one -click to select, one to trash, and one to say yes I want to do this. That comes up to at least 6000 clicks.

> Found TOC hyperlinks which don't have target text anchor information. Please update TOC with "Make text anchor in source paragraph" option turned on.

I have no TOC hyperlinks unless someone has hacked my computer. But I don’t think inserting hyperlinks in Adobe products is something hackers go out of their way to do.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines

The best reason to be in Houston today is that if you were in Miami there would be alligators.

William Adams

Aug 29, 2017, 3:52:22 PM8/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
When files begin to behave oddly in this fashion I always:

 - dupe the files in question
 - export all text flows to Adobe Tagged Text
 - delete out all the text
 - save as IDML
 - reboot / reload InDesign
 - review the Adobe Tagged Text --- edit as necessary
 - reimport the text

William

Olav Martin Kvern

Aug 29, 2017, 7:11:04 PM8/29/17
to InDesign talk
Colleagues,

re: "To delete the entries in the index panel means 3 clicks for each one -click to select, one to trash, and one to say yes I want to do this. That comes up to at least 6000 clicks."

No human should ever have to do this. How do you know which entries (page references) you want to delete? If I know the pattern, I can write you a script.

If all you want to do is delete all topics and start over, this one-line script will do the trick:

app.documents.item(0).indexes.item(0).topics.everyItem().remove();

If you want to delete all page references and start over, this one-line script will do the trick:

app.documents.item(0).indexes.item(0).topics.everyItem().pageReferences.everyItem().remove();

re: "I have no TOC hyperlinks unless someone has hacked my computer."

Start by eliminating the impossible and the highly unlikely.:-)

TOC hyperlinks can come from two places: Word (stop importing files from Word), or you've generated a TOC with the Create PDF Bookmarks option turned on (it's on by default).

Thanks,

Ole

Sharon Villines

Aug 29, 2017, 9:37:25 PM8/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. A real newbie question —where do I put the scripts?

And thanks for the info on the hyperlinks. There should be a book on what ID will do behind the scenes.

Am I imagining things or did the Mac use “save as” to clean up all the unneeded stuff in a file— thereby reducing the size of the file?

Sharon

Sharon Villines

Aug 30, 2017, 7:36:17 AM8/30/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Figured it out. Thank you!

Olav Martin Kvern

Aug 30, 2017, 9:14:33 PM8/30/17
to InDesign talk
Hi Sharon,

Glad you figured it out!

To use the scripts, copy the line out of the email (up to and including the ";"), then paste it into the text editor of your choice.

If you're using InDesign, make certain that the "Use Typographer's Quotes" option is turned off. (It's not an issue for these scripts--they don't contain any quotation marks. But it can be a problem for other scripts.)

Save the file as plain text with the file extension ".jsx" to the Scripts Panel folder. That'll be inside the Scripts folder inside your InDesign application folder. On the Mac OS, for InDesign CC 2017, that will be:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Scripts/Scripts Panel

Once the file is in that folder, it'll appear in the Scripts panel in InDesign (to display the Scripts panel, choose Window>Utilities>Scripts).

Double-click the script file name to run the script.

There are lots of great scripts out there! These one-liners are just a small example of what scripting can do. Many scripts have complete user interfaces and can do quite complex things that can save hours of work.

I've got a small introduction to InDesign scripting here:

...the links don't work anymore, because someone took it upon themselves to "clean up" out server. But the information is still good. I'll try to get the scripts restored, or find another place to host them.

Thanks,

Ole

Olav Martin Kvern

Aug 30, 2017, 9:18:15 PM8/30/17
to InDesign talk
Just to clarify a bit--when I say "a plain text file," part of what I mean is: don't use the Mac OS application TextEdit. It saves files as .rtf by default. Instead, use something like TextWrangler (or Sublime Text, or Brackets).

You can also use the Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit application. If it's installed--and it usually is--it'll open when you select a script in the Scripts panel and choose Edit Script from the Scripts panel menu or the context menu (right-click/Control-click on the script name in the Scripts panel).

Thanks,

Ole

Sharon Villines

Sep 2, 2017, 9:17:54 PM9/2/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 9:18 PM, Olav Martin Kvern <okv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> Just to clarify a bit--when I say "a plain text file," part of what I mean is: don't use the Mac OS application TextEdit. It saves files as .rtf by default. Instead, use something like TextWrangler (or Sublime Text, or Brackets).

This was a good clue — TextEdit wasn’t working at all. TextWrangler to the rescue.
Thanks to Ole and William for all the help. William’s solution was beyond me but quite probably would have worked. I was afraid at that point to mess around with the file since it was already indexed. I didn’t want to mess up the page numbers.

Ole's script worked perfectly to remove all the index topics in the index pane. But ePub still showed the exact same number of errors. I was beginning to think that ePub had decided they had already sent me 5 messages and were just sending me the same one over and over. It was still saying the page sizes were different and I had checked all the files

I finally packed up the whole thing for print and got the proof back the next day. That was so easy.

Then I pasted all the book files into one Apple Pages file. A friend who does eBooks for clients says it is by far the best transition to ePub. It was nice just to see the ms on a big clean screen. I realized I was also tired at looking at InDesign.

I still have some formatting to do but the ePub compiles with no errors and validates.

I think everyone for your help and toleration of my questions.

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines, Washington, DC
"As long as you have two or fewer, your ducks are always in a row." The Covert Comic