Text variables CC 2014

Andrew Brown

Oct 17, 2015, 2:22:02 AM10/17/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Variable is the right term…

ID variables being limited to text — no character styling — I need to convert variable running heads to text before running two search-and-replaces to convert certain strings to superiors. Toy-town techniques.

But when I convert them to text, some convert ok to

1er septembre 1763

while others convert to

<tc-droite>

which is the name of the variable.

Has anyone come across this feature, and sucessfully cured it?

AB

Rick Gordon

Oct 17, 2015, 3:26:57 AM10/17/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Are the ones that convert to text detached from the master, while the
ones converting to the variable name are connected to the master pages?

Rick Gordon

---------------------
RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com

Andrew Brown

Oct 17, 2015, 3:54:41 AM10/17/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 17 oct. 2015, at 09:26, Rick Gordon <li...@rickgordon.com> wrote:

> Are the ones that convert to text detached from the master, while the ones converting to the variable name are connected to the master pages?

That could well be the difference, Rick, yes. Does that provide a path to salvation?

The pages concerned are all rectos, and on each page there are five frames

running head
text
variants
notes
folio

I cannot afford to do anything that could affect the arrangement of these frames but would be glad to zap and replace the content of the recto running heads.

AB

William Adams

Oct 19, 2015, 8:53:36 AM10/19/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
> On 17 oct. 2015, at 09:26, Rick Gordon <li...@rickgordon.com> wrote:
>
>> Are the ones that convert to text detached from the master, while the ones converting to the variable name are connected to the master pages?

To expand upon what Rick wrote, any text variable in a master page will exhibit the latter behaviour --- this is caused by the text variable on the master page being converted to text there.

To fix this, you have to over-ride, and instantiate on each page any text block from the master page which has a text variable.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

Rick Gordon

Oct 19, 2015, 4:31:06 PM10/19/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You might look at this page for automation suggestions:
https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/script-to-convert-all-text-variables

Or maybe they don't handle the undetatched state either. Haven't looked
closely at it; I'd just write my own script (but I'm busy now).
Detaching them for the master with a script would be easy, especially of
there is a designated object style or a reliable paragraph or character
style that is only used in that context.

Rick Gordon