Typesetting sequence post-nominals

Bill Amatneek

Mar 16, 2018, 11:34:00 PM3/16/18
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
One of the authors in my anthology is Andre Dubus III.

It would appear that Bringhurst in The Elements of Typographic Style (page 48) would prefer the III be set in as three I’s but only as high as the lower case letters (x-height). (I’m extrapolating from his setting of World War III.) I like this look. Using III looks sore-thumbish.

In ID CC on an iMac, if I set this so-called post-nominal using small caps in the "author name", it looks correct, but the running header of the author’s name, which picks up from the "author name" appears as lower case iii, that is Andre Dubus iii, not the desired effect.

If I set the “author name” using capital III but in smaller type, Andre Dubus III, it also looks correct, but the running header doesn’t pick it up at all, and displays Andre Dubus III.

I hope I’ve been clear.

Can someone please point out the error of my ways, or suggest a workaround?

MTIA.

Best regards to all,
Bill Amatneek
Vineyards Press

Andrew Brown

Mar 17, 2018, 1:59:44 AM3/17/18
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
In my experience — but I hope to be wrong — this is one of the features of ID that demonstrates how rarely people at Adobe use ID to produce books. If I recall correctly, the running-head plug-in from intools.com allowed, among its other virtues,  the transfer of styles from text to running head, but they have fallen behind and may not work with the latest releases of CC.

When faced with this problem, I either leave the sore thumbs untreated (apologising mentally to the few dozen people who will notice), or insert the running heads manually, or apply a specific master.

AB

Rick Gordon

Mar 17, 2018, 3:20:36 PM3/17/18
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
The correct URL is http://in-tools.com/products/plugins/power-headers/

The website doesn't list anything more current than CC 2015, but I think
it would likely work. It can be downloaded first to test.

Rick Gordon

--------------------
On March 17, 2018 at 12:18:36 PM [-0700],
Andrew Brown wrote in an email entitled
"Re: [ID] Typesetting sequence post-nominals":
> In my experience — but I hope to be wrong — this is one of the
> features of ID that demonstrates how rarely people at Adobe use ID to
> produce books. If I recall correctly, the running-head plug-in from
> intools.com <http://intool.com> allowed, among its other virtues, the
> transfer of styles from text to running head, but they have fallen
> behind and may not work with the latest releases of CC.
RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com

Rick Gordon

Mar 17, 2018, 3:23:51 PM3/17/18
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
This blog post might be useful too for installing:
http://in-tools.com/news/fix-for-cc-2015-4/

--------------------
On March 17, 2018 at 12:23:12 PM [-0700],
Rick Gordon wrote in an email entitled

michael...@sparklit.org

Mar 21, 2018, 3:08:30 AM3/21/18
to InDesign talk
Small caps, punctuation and forced line breaks can complicate the rendering of headings as running headers.

My preferred workaround would be to create an extra paragraph, "Author Name 1" followed by "Author Name 2".

"Author Name 1" is visible but is *not* referenced for the running header.

"Author Name 2" is hidden or invisible (paper fill?) but *is* referenced for the running header. The hidden paragraph can be made visible for editing to produce the desired result in the running header then made invisible for publication.

Cheers,

Michael Collie

Robert Wexler

Jun 5, 2018, 12:19:43 PM6/5/18
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I've been hired to re-design a journal. They have previously had a print edition and a pdf for download. They plan to continue with this but might have ebooks in the future.  My part will only be to give them a design and an InDesign file to use. They will do the layout per my design.  What, if anything, would I need to provide for their eventual ebook-making? Does it matter if the fonts in the journal wouldn't be available for ebook users?  I'm sorry, but I know pretty much nothing about this.  And I don't think they do either.

Thanks,
Robert